Help me pick a CX bike

dmwill

Help me pick a CX bike

Postby dmwill » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:04 pm

Spent the past year racing C grade CX with a 29er hardtail, it was hard work, but I had a ball. Now looking to buy a CX bike in the coming months ready for the 2017 season. Looking for suggestions.

Will primarily use it for racing and seeking KOMs on some MTB trails*

Prefer the following:
-Alloy frame/carbon forks (full carbon would be nice, but budget may not reach that).
-Full hydro setup (not interested in cable or cable-to-hydro setups) Note: not a fan of Shimano's bulky entry level ST-RS505 levers.
-1x preferred (Will consider double setups if they can be easily converted)
-105/Ultegra (Will consider SRAM Force...just never tried double tap).

Immediate thoughts are TCX and Crux.

*Probably won't get a KOM, but may get a decent PB.

enduro2

Re: Help me pick a CX bike

Postby enduro2 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:10 pm

Can't help you with the brands you mention.

I have only ever owned the the Merida CX4 I have and can say Merida CX bikes are great. 11spd, 10Kg (lighter might be nicer) and Ultegra 105, disc brakes.

Just bought a carbon roadie and been thinking about selling the CX4 but feel I wouldn't mind doing CX next year ... but I've been saying that for a few years now!

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:18 pm

enduro2 wrote: ....been thinking about selling the CX4 but feel I wouldn't mind doing CX next year ... but I've been saying that for a few years now!
Do it (race CX).

It's a very casual (almost party-like) atmosphere, even in A grade. Anyone who is nervous or no so sure about any kind of bike racing should give CX a shot.

The season kicks off with a night race at Claremont showgrounds (Saturday 6th May 2017).

Jlake001

Postby Jlake001 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:42 am

I would look at the Giant TCX SL1 which I just bought. It isn't a full carbon frame but has carbon forks and the difference in weight is only slight to its carbon cousins and very strong. Comes with hydraulic brakes, 35 mm cyclocross tyres, 12 mm through axels and SRAM rival gearing. If you don't like the feel of the SRAM compared to shimano then this bike may not be for you but I personally love the feel. It also has a 1 x 11 drivetrain and for me this works perfectly for the riding I do.

I chose this bike because I mainly commute to/from work and wanted something fast, good at climbing and light. Conditions are mainly road/tracks in reasonable condition. But there can occasionally be some hazards that a road bike would struggle. I also do weekend rides in teams and plan to do touring and some off road with it as well. This bike does it all well. The off road obviously won't be downhill but works great on gravel/dirt tracks, grass, mud and even sand.

What I love about this bike is the versatility. You can put on slick tyres and you have a light road bike and can do your weekend rides and/or committing. Or you can leave on the cyclocross tyres and take it off road or race it. My plan is to take it on adventure touring as well that a road bike isnt necessarily geared up to do to install panniers or other bags.

I did a lot of research before buying and for my type of riding I desired more than just a road bike.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:32 pm

Jlake001 wrote:I would look at the Giant TCX SL1 which I just bought.
Nice one. Any pics?
Jlake001 wrote:I did a lot of research before buying and for my type of riding I desired more than just a road bike.
You chose well. The gearing of road bikes is a poor choice for most people. I reckon SRAM have hit the sweet spot with their 1x11 groups. The longer wheelbase means that the bike will be more stable, and less prone to heel strike with panniers.

andycross

Postby andycross » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:17 pm

Does tcx take pannier!? If so then it's back on my list

macca33

Postby macca33 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:08 pm

Focus Mares is a very nice rig!
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:19 pm

I recently was about to purchase a Giant TCX SLR 2 2017. I placed the order but they didn't have my size, so the shop offered me a TCX Advanced Pro 2 2016 for a few hundred more. I took the offer and it's been great. I got them to put a 32T cassette on it and I'm looking to change the 46/36 chainring to possibly a 46/32 or even a 30 as when you hit steep gravel roads you soon realise you need more gears! I swapped the tyres for Clement Xplor MSO 40c, and will upgrade the wheels to something lighter like the DT Swiss R23 eventually.
It's been great so far, very glad I finally picked one up. Once the hydraulic brakes bed in they are awesome, plenty of bite.
Took it to Lysterfield recently and had a crack at the MTB trails, and also rode up Mt Everard at the back of Kinglake. It's good to have the option of riding off road one weekend then back on the roadie the other. I got it primarily for singletrack and gravel rides.
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

vindlecrag

Postby vindlecrag » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:32 am

Add the Cannondale CAADX to your list. There is a SRAM 1x11 model. Cannondale make amazing aluminium frames and the CAADX just got an update for this year with very good CX geometry.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:58 am

I ride a Trek Boone and happy with it... I picked up a 5 on special which was cheaper than the frame on its own which I was chasing.
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.