Nobody

Re: Surly's new Krampus, a '29 plus' with 3-inch tir

Postby Nobody » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:22 pm

30.5" tyres. Interesting.

Gordo

Postby Gordo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:02 am

how much would that go for?

i was told a moonlander was about 3200$. is that right? seems a little steep for a bike with no suspension. those wheels must cost a fortune or something?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:20 am

Gordo wrote:how much would that go for?

i was told a moonlander was about 3200$. is that right? seems a little steep for a bike with no suspension. those wheels must cost a fortune or something?
Small production runs
Distribution chain used to fat, pre internet competition margins

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:01 am

From the links. US Price
Complete bikes will be available around March with an MSRP of $1950.
The complete production bike will feature:
1×10 Shimano SLX gruppo (mostly)
Salsa Whammy handlebar
Frames and tires and rims will be available this Fall with an MSRP of $750 for the frame only.

Gordo

Postby Gordo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:04 pm

2 grand for a complete bike. i take it thats U.S prices though

i asked a bikeshop about moonlander pricing and they said 3200. :shock: ....so i assume they'd sting me for the same with the krampus

been pricing santa cruz bikes too. yanks pay 1100 for superlight 29er frame (single pivot dually), ozzies pay 1600$. Is that markup all freight? doubt it coz they only mark up the tallboy frame (VPP suspension) up 225$ (1925 -->2150)

was kinda interested in the superlight 29er, but for the price we ozzies have to pay for it i'm probably better off making the jump to the tallboy.

seems we aussies get gouged a bit eh!

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:14 pm

Gordo wrote:..snip...
and your just working this out? :shock:

Wiggle sell Surly 1x1 frames for about $550 plus post . I suspect Krampus frames will turn up at the usual online (ship to Oz) shops for less than the US MSRP posted to Oz. New frame with custom tubesets for the frame. I wouldn't suspect much in the way of a discount at first. It is not the frame cost that would concern me but the wheel and tyre costs.

Most product can be found for sale online for less than the US MSRP.

For Surly prices ask Elvis on Rotorburn.

Gordo

Postby Gordo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:41 pm

nah, i've always known...it just never ceases to amaze me. I always go into things with a bit of optimism thinking this will a good deal, and i always get knocked in the teeth. i can live with a little bit of gouging, but the price/markup/gouge on the superlight has really !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! me.

but thanks for all that btw

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:18 pm

Gordo wrote:2 grand for a complete bike. i take it thats U.S prices though

i asked a bikeshop about moonlander pricing and they said 3200. :shock: ....so i assume they'd sting me for the same with the krampus

been pricing santa cruz bikes too. yanks pay 1100 for superlight 29er frame (single pivot dually), ozzies pay 1600$. Is that markup all freight? doubt it coz they only mark up the tallboy frame (VPP suspension) up 225$ (1925 -->2150)

was kinda interested in the superlight 29er, but for the price we ozzies have to pay for it i'm probably better off making the jump to the tallboy.

A Superlight 26" frame (including shock) is about $1350 from TBSM. They don't stock the 29er version (yet).

http://tbsm.com.au/bike-frames/xc-trail ... frame-1390

Gordo

Postby Gordo » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:49 pm

Jean wrote:
Gordo wrote:2 grand for a complete bike. i take it thats U.S prices though

A Superlight 26" frame (including shock) is about $1350 from TBSM. They don't stock the 29er version (yet).

http://tbsm.com.au/bike-frames/xc-trail ... frame-1390
thanks for that jean, but im' going the 29er route...eventually

prob buy local though. think they will knock a little off too and be able to match any online prices here? (bookmarked that link though). Im just a little disappointed at the excessive markup on the superlight compared to tallboy really. The current sl29 only has fox RL shock (tallboy has rp2), newer frames in about 8weeks will have the ctd shock i'm told. so i'm hanging out till then and see what 'appens. rode the 29er and it was nice. looks cool. low maintenance, as low as u can get without being hardtail. no press fit bb. Santa cruz bearings apparently kick a$$...and i only have to worry about one. Sl29 has a neat simplicity that really appeals to me. we'll see.

good luck with ur 29er build. will be interesting to see the final product

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:13 am

Gordo wrote:thanks for that jean, but im' going the 29er route...eventually

prob buy local though. think they will knock a little off too and be able to match any online prices here? (bookmarked that link though). Im just a little disappointed at the excessive markup on the superlight compared to tallboy really. The current sl29 only has fox RL shock (tallboy has rp2), newer frames in about 8weeks will have the ctd shock i'm told. so i'm hanging out till then and see what 'appens. rode the 29er and it was nice. looks cool. low maintenance, as low as u can get without being hardtail. no press fit bb. Santa cruz bearings apparently kick a$$...and i only have to worry about one. Sl29 has a neat simplicity that really appeals to me. we'll see.

good luck with ur 29er build. will be interesting to see the final product
Yes I was having fantastic thoughts about building a Superlight 26 (its simplicity and the regard in which the frame is held being very attractive) when I saw that they were releasing a 29er. I can understand holding out for it.

I am still toying with the idea of building one up, but the current build has been more involved and prolonged than I would have liked and I'm in no hurry at the moment. I've also got a too long serving 'interim' road bike that needs updating. A dualie will have to wait I think, but a Superlight (be it 26 or 29) will be one that I'll keep thinking about.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:04 am

Krampus is now up on the Surly site.

Just checked out the geometry chart. I like the idea of increasing the ETT and reducing the stem length. Head angle looks fairly slack at 69.5 degrees. Seat angle is good too at 72.5 degrees across the range. Makes fitting a Brooks easier.

Something worth highlighting though.
However, if you go with our 50mm rims and 3˝ tires (and why wouldn’t you?) then plan to use a 1x or 2x crank…a triple simply won’t clear the tire. For best chain/tire clearance, we recommend either a Surly MWOD 2x crank or a 1x system. Other brands’ 2x cranks will work but may cause some chain-on-tire rub in the easiest gear combo.
Like the new colour of the KM too.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:46 am

Dirt Works list Australian retail prices. Not sure if the Krampus is listed yet but.

Andrew

Fuzzboxvoodoo

Postby Fuzzboxvoodoo » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:38 am

Tough looking bike!!