Disc Trucker Review

Nobody

Disc Trucker Review

Postby Nobody » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:40 pm

4.5 stars out of 5.
http://road.cc/content/review/66658-surly-disc-trucker" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

warthog1

Re: Disc Trucker Review

Postby warthog1 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:39 pm

No wonder he's not wearing helmet :idea:
He's actually only doing 12 km/h, despite maximal effort, on the heavy/flexy old steel POS :roll:

How naff do the cables look on those old school/eccentric bar end shifters :P

.25 of a star for the disc brakes, and thats being generous.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:05 am

warthog1 wrote:He's actually only doing 12 km/h, despite maximal effort, on the heavy/flexy old steel [piece of rubbish] :roll:
This comment is about as sensible as taking a Cervelo S5 on a loaded tour. :lol:
warthog1 wrote:How naff do the cables look on those old school/eccentric bar end shifters :P
Function over form. Kind of like your S5 really. Only the disc trucker is actually practical and costs much less.
warthog1 wrote:.25 of a star for the disc brakes, and thats being generous.
Probably a compliment coming from a Cervelo rider. :mrgreen:

Now make sure you win the commuter cup against all those "competitors". :lol:

But don't let me hold you here Mr Cracvelo. You've probably got more upgrades to buy, more Strava uploads to make and they're probably missing you already on the WW forums. :roll:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:34 am

Nobody wrote:
Now make sure you win the commuter cup against all those "competitors". :lol:

But don't let me hold you here Mr Cracvelo. You've probably got more upgrades to buy, more Strava uploads to make and they're probably missing you already on the WW forums. :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Nice comeback, now that is one embarassing photo. No wonder he is staring down at the road :lol:
Nobody wrote:
warthog1 wrote:He's actually only doing 12 km/h, despite maximal effort, on the heavy/flexy old steel [piece of rubbish] :roll:
This comment is about as sensible as taking a Cervelo S5 on a loaded tour. :lol:
Well have a look at his hair and the spokes, both perfectly in focus and unruffled. They have panned the camera and used a slow shutter speed to blur the background and give the illusion of speed. Lets face it the illusion of speed is all you are going to get on that thing. :P

I am only stirring you though. If I thought I could get it past the minister I would have that bike or something similar as a disc equipped commuter.
It would look good with my aero helmet too :lol:
Last edited by warthog1 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:49 am

Don't really care about either bike (though I'd happily ride either for their intended purpose), but I'm loving this thread :mrgreen:

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:16 am

warthog1 wrote:Lets face it, the illusion of speed is all you are going to get on that thing. :P
But that's the beauty of Surly. When you buy a Surly (or similar brands) you are not subscribing to the competitive sport culture. All of a sudden is doesn't matter if you are 1% slower than the next person. You don't have to keep chasing your personal best with the all its associated costs. No matter how much you invest in training and equipment, there will always be someone younger and/or faster. Better for me to cycle for health and enjoyment. :)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:33 am

Nobody wrote: No matter how much you invest in training and equipment, there will always be someone younger and/or faster. Better for me to cycle for health and enjoyment. :)

There are Australian Road race champions, Mountain bike champions along with age group champions here. So people are older and faster as well. :) Cycling alllows me to inflict pain on myself in a socially acceptable manner :oops: :lol:
I just like the competitive side of it and being as good as I can be, so cycling with people who are several levels above is a challenge I am lucky to have. My biggest fear is causing a bunch pile up or something :shock: d'oh, so I am very bloody careful :)
Last edited by warthog1 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:38 am

Nobody wrote:
warthog1 wrote:Lets face it, the illusion of speed is all you are going to get on that thing. :P
But that's the beauty of Surly. When you buy a Surly (or similar brands) you are not subscribing to the competitive sport culture. All of a sudden is doesn't matter if you are 1% slower than the next person. You don't have to keep chasing your personal best with the all its associated costs. No matter how much you invest in training and equipment, there will always be someone younger and/or faster. Better for me to cycle for health and enjoyment. :)
+ 1. Really noticed it when I was riding back into town the other day after 3,000 kilometre tour ... the attitude of some roadies ... seriously they made me laugh. Thanks but to all the toots and comments from the boys in hig-viz. They got it :)

Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:40 am

Getting back to the bike ... not convinced about it ... more than happy with my v-brakes now installed on my Surly Long Haul Trucker. More than ample at pulling up 80 kg of weight.

I am also dubious about these Road.cc reports: did they seriously test this bike?

Andrew
Andrew

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:09 pm

Nobody wrote:4.5 stars out of 5.
http://road.cc/content/review/66658-surly-disc-trucker" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm amused by the description of the bike's handling, using words like "nimble", "nippy" and "lively".

My 26"-wheeled 54cm Long Haul Trucker - same as what this guy tested save for the disc brakes - is a lot of things, but nimble, nippy and lively aren't among them :lol:

I can only assume he was benchmarking against a container ship :shock:

It's comfortable, it's stable, it's reliable, and I've even go as far as to stay that it's surprisingly fast - against the clock. Surprising, in the sense that it feels so slow and stately.

Keep on truckin'...

tim

Chef

Postby Chef » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:44 am

Hi.

I have had my Disc Trucker for two weeks now, and am really enjoying it.

Still early days, but this bike is ideal for my commute - 35km each way, often carrying books, laptop etc.

The bike is heavy, but once rolling this is not noticeable - my other bike is a Ti roady with Dura Ace group and weighs almost twice as much as the Surly; the commute on the Disc Trucker doesn't seem to take any longer, but then again I don't use a GPS or time my rides......

The bar end shifters are great - I agree that the cable routing is a little fugly, but it works very well and is a no-brainer to set up (I also hope that by going 9 speed I will get a bit longer out of my chains!).

Cheers
Phil

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:07 am

barefoot wrote:I'm amused by the description of the bike's handling, using words like "nimble", "nippy" and "lively".
Me too - I toured Tasmania on a LHT. The most apt description of its ride characteristics that came to mind was "slug".
I replaced it with a Ti touring bike, which does actually live up to that description.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:01 pm

barefoot wrote:
Nobody wrote:4.5 stars out of 5.
I'm amused by the description of the bike's handling, using words like "nimble", "nippy" and "lively".

My 26"-wheeled 54cm Long Haul Trucker - same as what this guy tested save for the disc brakes - is a lot of things, but nimble, nippy and lively aren't among them :lol:

I can only assume he was benchmarking against a container ship :shock:
.... or maybe the octus

Go!Run!GAH!

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:24 pm

Chef wrote:Hi.

I have had my Disc Trucker for two weeks now, and am really enjoying it.

Still early days, but this bike is ideal for my commute - 35km each way, often carrying books, laptop etc.

The bike is heavy, but once rolling this is not noticeable - Cheers
Phil
Hi Phil
You've got your bike looking mighty fine :!:
I've always been a bit dubious about brown/honey coloured saddles but now recognise that some matching bar tape is all thats needed to colour co-ordinate so that it looks "right". :idea:
My personal preference is for black but I now really like the brown versions too.
How are you finding the BB7's in use? I've never had a disk equipped bike yet, but have promised myself that the next one will be. Really like the look of your shiny mudguards which seem to "fit" well with the stem, rack and bidons. Just enough contrasting black with the chainguard (or is that an outer ring), brifters and of course tyres, finished with rim tops to perfect the ensemble. :)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Chef

Postby Chef » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:45 am

rifraf wrote:How are you finding the BB7's in use? I've never had a disk equipped bike yet, but have promised myself that the next one will be. Really like the look of your shiny mudguards which seem to "fit" well with the stem, rack and bidons. Just enough contrasting black with the chainguard (or is that an outer ring), brifters and of course tyres, finished with rim tops to perfect the ensemble. :)
Hi,

The BB7's are fine - great power and feel; much better than any rim brake that I have used. They were very noisy the first few rides, but are quiet in operation now; very easy to set up as well.

Still loving this bike; I have had a couple of very nice bikes in the past, but so far this would be my pick out of them all - not breaking any speed records, but it wins hands down for practicality and comfort, and seems pretty bomb proof so far!

Cheers
Phil

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:55 am

WH1 probably won't be thrilled about it, but the Disc Trucker got 5th in the "road.cc Bike of the Year".
http://road.cc/content/news/72588-roadc ... ear-top-10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also I thought it was interesting that 4 of the top 5 bikes had Al or steel frames. Of the first placed Canyon bike they wrote:
Controversial. This is an aluminium bike. Surely aluminium has had its day? Well, no. Some people would have you believe that carbon = good, aluminium = bad. They’re wrong. There are plenty of great aluminium bikes out there, as there are great titanium and steel bikes too. This one is fast and lively with electronic shifting and loads more besides. It’s a helluva bike for the cash.