Surly Trucker Deluxe build

Aushiker

Surly Trucker Deluxe build

Postby Aushiker » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:55 pm

Stolen from the Bike Forumsbut I think this is a really nice build and hence worth sharing.

Andrew

rifraf

Re: Surly Trucker Deluxe build

Postby rifraf » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:10 pm

Very, very nice :!: Its a shame Surly dont offer a bit more choice on their frames in the way of customization.
If their Ogre or Troll frames had the S&S couplers I'd sit up and take notice. I'd gaze far more fondly on the Long Haul Trucker
if they'd added the option of BB7's like most of their other offerings. Their bikes ability to bolt on a great range of racks and fenders is great but their weight is enough to make me look at all the options available. I think for myself if they offered my
above suggestions then I could at least break my wish list down to at least one brand of bike. I'd still have the task of model but at least then it would be down to three choices. :?
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:55 pm

Just purchased a Deluxe from JensonUSA (they pricematched Bikewagon) so this is my new project. I'll be building it up to go overseas on, maybe also for the Great Vic. Will post more once the build happens.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:28 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:Just purchased a Deluxe from JensonUSA (they pricematched Bikewagon) so this is my new project. I'll be building it up to go overseas on, maybe also for the Great Vic. Will post more once the build happens.
How did it compare to adding S&S couplers to a Disk Trucker frame?
What colour did you grab and 26' or 700c?
Hope you have a smoother delivery than my Ogre frame from Jenson.
It disappeared after hitting Australian shores and my Dyad rims, sent the same day, arrived a few weeks before the frame arrived (USPS).
Not denigrating Jenson as they did a great job of tracking down my frame size and colour promptly.
Last edited by rifraf on Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:30 pm

I can just see J4tH toddling along on a nice, little powder blue number such as pictured above. :D
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:56 am

Well good because that's what I bought. BTW that colour is called "Dave's Frozen Tears" so a bit of a worry.

I had looked at getting a Salsa Vaya Travel but could find few advertised, the price was way above Surly's and when I tried to find out from Salsa about dealers in AU they never responded. The Trucker Deluxe is only available in 26" wheel size and rim brake but I can live with that, it'll make packing easier and I have a supply of Velocity 26" rims waiting for a reason to get used. My other choices were the Qoroz Travel Won, one of the S&S Thorn Raven models, or a Ritchey Breakaway frame, all costing a lot more. Yes I could have bought an Ogre or similar and got a framebuilder to add the S&S couplings but you'd be looking at the frame plus $500 for the couplings plus labour costs once you can track down a builder certified to do this and agreeable. I could also have looked at a small-wheeled folder like Bike Friday's Tikit but I already have several such folders (a Mezzo, Airnimal and ICE B1 recumbent) and want a larger wheeled bike for the performance, and one that'll fit into a suitcase, not just half fold for the train. You can see that I've had a good look around, the danger is that I'll get mesmerise and fork out ubermoney on some dazzling bike or convince myself to pick one up while I'm overseas and bring it back. I could name people on BNA who have that habit.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:24 pm

Bought on the Tuesday, received on the Monday so no probs with Jensons this time rifraf (although a second package has gone through California to Alaska to Korea so far, bit of a worry). Should have everything by Monday and the bike built, including wheels. All up would be under $2000, will work it out later. There's a Deluxe going on Gumtree in Melbourne for $3000.

BTW there's a couple of interesting Surlys on Gumtree right now, a Krampus 29er and a Pugsley fatbike, both in Perth.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:15 pm

I saw those and like Pavlovs dog, gave a bit of a drewl.
After more careful consideration I decided that the longevity of the tyre options and their replacement cost ruled out those bikes for me and I'd have to admire them from afare. :(

I am currently investigating the installation of some S&S couplers for the Ogre, but so far without success.
I've rung two companies on the manufacturers list so far, both in Victoria, but they dont retro-fit.
They do them as an option in the new custom frames they produce.
I'm not intending any immediate overseas travel but would like my bike to have this option sooner rather than later.

And Wow is all I can say with regards that speedy shipping.
Excellent result. :!:

I notice Jenson has just bumped up the price of a new Ogre frame by $40 :shock:

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:21 pm

Is it true these S&S couplers need their own specific, proprietary tool to do & undo?
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:25 pm

HappyHumber wrote:Is it true these S&S couplers need their own specific, proprietary tool to do & undo?
I believe so
http://sandsmachine.com/ac_wrenc.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:31 pm

HappyHumber wrote:Is it true these S&S couplers need their own specific, proprietary tool to do & undo?
False.

And the tool is usually ordered with the couplers.