Page 1 of 2

Surly Riders/Builders

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:17 am
by rifraf
Wondering where everyone sources their Surly frames from.
I want to price up an Ogre build as I'm finding WA's off-road touring opportunities a little
too much for my Moulton.
After some single track touring "The Waterous Way" I think I was lucky to finish with my
derailleur intact.
Not 100% committed yet but thinking seriously about either a Troll or an Ogre.
Image

Re: Surly Riders/Builders

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:30 am
by Nobody
This thread should probably be moved to the Surly section.

I got my Surly CC from Wiggle, but Wiggle don't appear to stock a lot of Surly products anymore.

Bikeman do stock Surly at reasonable prices, but check the shipping as they are in the US.
http://www.bikeman.com/store/merchant.m ... Frame_Sets

AEBike also do Surly. Their shipping can be cheaper than many US bike suppliers.
http://www.aebike.com/Mountain-Frame-Sets_c_1703.html

Re: Surly Riders/Builders

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:44 am
by Releng
Jenson do them, they were the cheapest I could find when I was after my Troll:
http://www.jensonusa.com/Road-Bike-frames/Surly-Ogre-29Er-Frameset

Re: Surly Riders/Builders

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:56 am
by Chef
Nobody wrote:Bikeman do stock Surly at reasonable prices, but check the shipping as they are in the US.
http://www.bikeman.com/store/merchant.m ... Frame_Sets


I bought my disc trucker frameset through Bikeman - shipping was reasonable and quick - they were also helpful and quick answering questions.

Re: Surly Riders/Builders

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:58 pm
by mitzikatzi
Nobody wrote:This thread should probably be moved to the Surly section.

..snip...


Thread hijack :oops:

Is it just me or is there too many sub forums now?

MTBR has a million sub forums. Most questions there seem to be asked in the 29er forum and now the 29er component sub forum.

I can't be bothered reading all the new sub forums on here.

None of the bike brands in the sub forums are brands I own.

Re: Surly Riders/Builders

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:16 pm
by Nobody
I use "View new posts" so it's all the same to me. If that wasn't possible, then yes, it would become too time consuming.

Re: Surly Riders/Builders

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:11 pm
by il padrone
rifraf wrote:After some single track touring "The Waterous Way" I think I was lucky to finish with my
derailleur intact.

Rohloff time, maybe ?? :twisted:

Re: Surly Riders/Builders

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:25 pm
by ldrcycles
Nobody wrote:I use "View new posts" so it's all the same to me. If that wasn't possible, then yes, it would become too time consuming.


+1, there are sub forums on here i don't even know about.

Re: Surly Riders/Builders

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:27 pm
by rifraf
il padrone wrote:
rifraf wrote:After some single track touring "The Waterous Way" I think I was lucky to finish with my
derailleur intact.

Rohloff time, maybe ?? :twisted:

Hi IP,
that is one of the considerations and high on the list of possibilities.
However I've been catching up with my GJ Coop reading (30 April 2012 so far) and coupled
with my short trip with Aushiker and catching up with Polishbiker.
This with WarrenH's pics and reading about all the trips going on in our Touring Australia
and I can feel some serious wanderlust coming on.......
The Moulton, my favourite bike ever, is restricted off road when it comes to real rough stuff and fails
somewhat with regards to its luggage capacity for long duration tours.
I couldn't have done my NSW to WA tour without the water bearing of my trailer which badly reduced my
off road ability due to suspension issues and inherent problems of having small wheels.
I'm thinking it might be time to return to the drawing board as its the rougher stuff that appears
to have currently caught my fancy.

Re: Surly Riders/Builders

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:31 pm
by rifraf
Nobody wrote:This thread should probably be moved to the Surly section.

I got my Surly CC from Wiggle, but Wiggle don't appear to stock a lot of Surly products anymore.

Bikeman do stock Surly at reasonable prices, but check the shipping as they are in the US.
http://www.bikeman.com/store/merchant.m ... Frame_Sets

AEBike also do Surly. Their shipping can be cheaper than many US bike suppliers.
http://www.aebike.com/Mountain-Frame-Sets_c_1703.html


Thank you for the links

mitzikatzi wrote:
Nobody wrote:This thread should probably be moved to the Surly section.

..snip...


Thread hijack :oops:

Is it just me or is there too many sub forums now?

MTBR has a million sub forums. Most questions there seem to be asked in the 29er forum and now the 29er component sub forum.

I can't be bothered reading all the new sub forums on here.

None of the bike brands in the sub forums are brands I own.


In truth I hadn't even spotted we had a Surly section and posting in the 29er section was something that
didn't immediately spring to mind.
I'll have to have a look there.....

Re: Surly Riders/Builders

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:32 pm
by rifraf
Releng wrote:Jenson do them, they were the cheapest I could find when I was after my Troll:
http://www.jensonusa.com/Road-Bike-frames/Surly-Ogre-29Er-Frameset

Thank you,
I'll have to have a squiz at their site. :)

Chef wrote:
I bought my disc trucker frameset through Bikeman - shipping was reasonable and quick - they were also helpful and quick answering questions.


Thanks Chef, I'll be sure to check them out. :)

Re: Surly Riders/Builders

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:02 pm
by HelmutHerr
Nobody wrote:I use "View new posts" so it's all the same to me. If that wasn't possible, then yes, it would become too time consuming.

Another +1.

Re: Surly Riders/Builders

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:26 pm
by rifraf
Releng wrote:Jenson do them, they were the cheapest I could find when I was after my Troll:
http://www.jensonusa.com/Road-Bike-frames/Surly-Ogre-29Er-Frameset


Yes I was sorely tempted by your Troll and still scroll back to your pics on occasion as its a toss up between the ogre/troll.
What height are you and how did you determine the frame sizing?
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab28 ... /006-1.jpg
I'm 5' 11" or 1.8 from memory and had in the distant (92?) past a Peugeot mountainbike (reynolds 531 magnum tubing) which
with its xt groupset was very light for its year, but I found I was too bent over and used to get back ache from my
extended rides. (I used it to tour in the UK). The seat tube was 19 inches from memory and by the time I'd bought a shorter but
higher bar stem for it, I'd purchased and fallen in love with my Moulton.
Reading the posts online in the different forums Surly threads either an 18 or 20 with more preferences for the 20 for my height.
That was the Peugeots last incarnation just before we parted ways minus its brooks and taller/shorter stem.
Image

Re: Surly Riders/Builders

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:16 pm
by eeksll
slight hijack, but same topic,

Does anywhere sell the ogre with out the fork, I have a surly 1x1 fork which has had the disc tabs faced so would prefer not to by another fork.

Also question regarding the rear disc tabs (loops in the case of the the ogre), they look flimsy (presumably they are find) and way too adjustable, any one had any experience with this?

Likewise the drop outs look adjustable too, does that make it difficult to use a quick release and derailleur system?

And whats with the Derailleur Hanger being part of the frame, is this a bad idea or not an issue?

thanks

Re: Surly Riders/Builders

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:42 pm
by warthog1
eeksll wrote:
And whats with the Derailleur Hanger being part of the frame, is this a bad idea or not an issue?

thanks


Probably not so bad on a steel frame as its less likely to break than carbon or alloy. It's better to be replaceable though as the replaceable hangers are designed to bend in the event of an impact to save the frame and derailleur.

Re: Surly Riders/Builders

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:48 pm
by Nobody
eeksll wrote:Does anywhere sell the ogre with out the fork, I have a surly 1x1 fork which has had the disc tabs faced so would prefer not to by another fork.
Not advisable as they are different axle to crown lengths. 413 vs 468. 55mm difference.
http://surlybikes.com/parts/1x1_fork
http://surlybikes.com/parts/ogre_fork

Re: Surly Riders/Builders

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:01 pm
by eeksll
Nobody wrote:
eeksll wrote:Does anywhere sell the ogre with out the fork, I have a surly 1x1 fork which has had the disc tabs faced so would prefer not to by another fork.
Not advisable as they are different axle to crown lengths. 413 vs 468. 55mm difference.
http://surlybikes.com/parts/1x1_fork
http://surlybikes.com/parts/ogre_fork


oops, thanks for pointing that out :)

Re: Surly Riders/Builders

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:58 pm
by Releng
rifraf wrote:Yes I was sorely tempted by your Troll and still scroll back to your pics on occasion as its a toss up between the ogre/troll.
What height are you and how did you determine the frame sizing?
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab28 ... /006-1.jpg


I am 181CM and the 20" was a good fit. I probably could have gone for the 18" as well. I always have trouble deciding between medium and large.
It probably depends a bit on what you will be doing with it. For difficult offroad the smaller frame would be the go and for touring long distances the larger one may be more comfortable.

They are a very solid well built frame, maybe a bit heavy for a commuter.

Re: Surly Riders/Builders

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:04 pm
by HelmutHerr
Releng wrote:They are a very solid well built frame, maybe a bit heavy for a commuter.

The Ogre's pretty chunky. I've got mine set up single speed for commuting in a fairly flat area, but you feel it when you lug it up stairs.

The trade off is that it's ready to go touring or offroad with just a few adjustments, instead of giving way to a second bike.

Re: Surly Riders/Builders

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:25 am
by rifraf
Certainly not a lightweight at 17kg out of the box, without racks or fenders according to
ebay.com auction 281021012832
39.3 pound :|

Re: Surly Riders/Builders

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:18 am
by rifraf
il padrone wrote:
rifraf wrote:After some single track touring "The Waterous Way" I think I was lucky to finish with my
derailleur intact.

Rohloff time, maybe ?? :twisted:

Rohloff on the way from Germany. Hopefully their pedestrian postage will get to me by xmas.
Santa wont be pleased as my wallets reminding me I've been a bad bad boy :!: :wink: :lol:

Re: Surly Riders/Builders

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:00 pm
by rifraf
rifraf wrote:Certainly not a lightweight at 17kg out of the box, without racks or fenders according to
ebay.com auction 281021012832
39.3 pound :|


Hmmmmm, I wondering if that weight is the packaged weight.

17kg :shock: sounds a little heavier than what I'd expect despite its no nonsense steel frame. :?

Re: Surly Riders/Builders

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:44 pm
by HelmutHerr
The highly accurate method of standing on bathroom scales while holding the bike says my XXL frame SS Ogre with semi road tires is 11.5kgs.

Re: Surly Riders/Builders

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:48 pm
by rifraf
HelmutHerr wrote:The highly accurate method of standing on bathroom scales while holding the bike says my XXL frame SS Ogre with semi road tires is 11.5kgs.

Gidday HelmutHerr, how you enjoying the new ride? Have you determined for yourself an upgrade path yet? Those wheels we discussed earlier are on ebay with a $620 (from memory) starting price (just mentioning it in case you missed it) They didnt sell and have been relisted so might be worth considering an offer? I've splurged and ordered a Rohloff and currently driving myself madder clicking repeatedly on the mail track n trace. :roll: No patience me :twisted: No more probs with your spokes loosening? Any thoughts on what racks etc your hoping to end up with?
I couldnt find enough alfine 11 folk with good experiences to make me part with my cash.
In order to not have to ponder the decision of what model/size/accessory/upgrade path etc. I ordered
the german hub and now so broke I dont have to worry about any more decisions for a while :wink: :lol: :lol:

Re: Surly Riders/Builders

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:31 am
by rifraf
Nobody wrote:AEBike also do Surly. Their shipping can be cheaper than many US bike suppliers.
http://www.aebike.com/Mountain-Frame-Sets_c_1703.html

Hi Nobody,
for me they were one of the dearest.
Cullen just got back to me after receiving my email request for a shipping price and its $380us :(
Jensonusa by comparison is about $70.52us and thats with 2 700c rims which aebike didnt quote me on. :!: