Forum member "Nobody" that is.

Image GIFSoup

:P
Not very original I know :oops:
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Nobody

Re: Nobody's fave forum

Postby Nobody » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:50 am

I suppose I could get a Cervelo to ride around the bike paths. But then I'd have to glue in the BBwrong after a while and I'd probably look like a try-hard. Also, that thread was easy to find among just 4 Cervelo threads, half of which being about BBwrong. :P

Since I know how much you love Surly, and we are in the Surly section, I thought I'd post a recent pic of my CC. Don't even have to glue in the BB or regularly check for carbon damage. :mrgreen:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:52 pm

But I'm only trying to help the surly Surly riders;
Surly forum: 121 posts
Cervelo: 170 posts :mrgreen:

What the hell is going on with all those cables and levers and carp on that bike of yours :shock: . Stop being a luddite and get some sti brifters they just work :P

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:58 pm

ffs, how many spacers on that steerer tube?

warthog1

Nobody's fave forum

Postby warthog1 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:48 am

I think he needs your services Winston. Shot knees and stiff inflexible spine by my mug take on that.
Looks like his frame is more flexible than he is :P

I like the brake set up though Nobody, nice work there :)

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:03 am

Holy headset spacers batman!
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:02 am

warthog1 wrote:But I'm only trying to help the surly Surly riders;
Surly forum: 121 posts
Cervelo: 170 posts :mrgreen:
That's because Surly owners aren't usually talking about matching colours or getting the latest piece of fragile bling. :P
warthog1 wrote:What the hell is going on with all those cables and levers and carp on that bike of yours :shock: . Stop being a luddite and get some sti brifters they just work :P
:lol: Hey, stop being a luddite and get Di2, you luddite cable user! :P
These just work too, quite precisely, reliably, cheaply and are light. Also, if/when I crash, I only have to replace the brake levers which cost ~$30 instead of brifters. How much does it cost you to replace brifters after a crash? :mrgreen:
Not everything needs to be about high cost bling. This is the Surly section after all...
winstonw wrote:...how many spacers on that steerer tube?
3 spacers with a total of 5cm. In the end, it's about correct fit, not slam that stem.
warthog1 wrote:I think he needs your services Winston. Shot knees and stiff inflexible spine by my mug take on that. Looks like his frame is more flexible than he is :P
Looks can be deceptive. Maybe one day I'll get a pic with me on it. That should explain more.
As for the knees, doing more work on them today. Got the G8 insoles and Steve Hogg's heal wedges. Also read more on the Steve's site about arch support and wedging. Should be an interesting day.
warthog1 wrote:I like the brake set up though Nobody, nice work there :)
Thanks. The original bike build goals were braking performance, fit and durability. Which probably explains the weird look. Most Cervelo owners priorities would likely be speed/efficiency, looks and weight.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:26 pm

Nobody wrote: How much does it cost you to replace brifters after a crash? :mrgreen:
Not everything needs to be about high cost bling. This is the Surly section after all...
I've had to replace the hoods after a crash, cheap as chips, though the levers are a bit scratched. I moved those shifters to my commuter to rid myself of the clothesline on the front of my bike.
You on the other hand appear to have gained more line space. Do you dry the household laundry on the way to work :twisted:

Nobody wrote:As for the knees, doing more work on them today. Got the G8 insoles and Steve Hogg's heal wedges. Also read more on the Steve's site about arch support and wedging. Should be an interesting day.
Interested to see how you go :) .
Don't post on here though, the post count is creeping up. :x I'll have to start a similarly inane thread on the cervelo forum to even things up. Though it will be the first such thread on there, not simply one of many. :mrgreen:
Nobody wrote:The original bike build goals were braking performance, fit and durability. Which probably explains the weird look. Most Cervelo owners priorities would likely be speed/efficiency, looks and weight.

Cervelo owners do have speed as a priority, dont know about looks, though the S5 is starting to grow on me, there are better looking bikes around.
Are you saying that Surly owners are more intersested in slowing down?

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:03 pm

warthog1 wrote:Don't post on here though, the post count is creeping up. :x
I'll post progress or lack of here. As I'm getting older, I can't afford to waste much more time on this, so I'm going to throw some money at it and see how it goes.
warthog1 wrote:I'll have to start a similarly inane thread on the cervelo forum to even things up. Though it will be the first such thread on there, not simply one of many. :mrgreen:
I'd say cervelo love is pretty inane. :P
warthog1 wrote:Are you saying that Surly owners are more interested in slowing down?
I haven't noticed speed as a big priority. I think most Surly owners are experienced enough to know that the difference between a fast bike and a slow bike of any particular type is a fraction of a Km/h in average speed. As you know, the difference in speed for the same rider is mainly about position and tyres. If you've seen the Surly blog, you'd see they don't subscribe to the whole racing scene. Their bikes reflect this. No shortage of manufactures that make relatively fragile race bikes.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:19 pm

Nobody wrote:I haven't noticed speed as a big priority. I think most Surly owners are experienced enough to know that the difference between a fast bike and a slow bike of any particular type is a fraction of a Km/h in average speed. As you know, the difference in speed for the same rider is mainly about position and tyres.
That is perhaps true if you are just riding around on shared paths or commuting. As the speeds climb so the difference climbs and the longer the effort again the difference compounds.
There is a surprisingly large difference between my Cervelo and Ribble. I would not attempt to race or do my fast bunch rides on the Ribble, I wouldn't make the distance in a scratch bunch or would be hanging off the back for the whole event.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:51 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Nobody wrote:I haven't noticed speed as a big priority. I think most Surly owners are experienced enough to know that the difference between a fast bike and a slow bike of any particular type is a fraction of a Km/h in average speed. As you know, the difference in speed for the same rider is mainly about position and tyres.
That is perhaps true if you are just riding around on shared paths or commuting. As the speeds climb so the difference climbs and the longer the effort again the difference compounds.
There is a surprisingly large difference between my Cervelo and Ribble. I would not attempt to race or do my fast bunch rides on the Ribble, I wouldn't make the distance in a scratch bunch or would be hanging off the back for the whole event.
I think I already etablished that Surly isn't about racing. So yes, it's in reference to real riding and not that bunch riding, elitist stuff that you do sometimes. :P

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:45 pm

Nobody wrote: elitist stuff that you do sometimes.
Trust me if I'm involved its pretty non elitist. :oops: :lol:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:34 am

What has happened to the mudguards on your Surly?
Also reading this thread I am surprised how quickly disc pads wear out :o
How often are you changing the pads/rotors on the front?

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:03 pm

The mudguards come on and off depending on the weather and whether I want to ride the utility bike in the wet. Most of the time they are off.

I've never changed the pads. They have worked well from the time I finished bedding them in.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:08 pm

I'm too lazy to take the guards off the Ribble they are on for good.
I don't think we are going to get a summer this year where I live either :x

That is more like it pad wear wise. Those wear rates in that thread would put me off discs.
I've nearly worn a set off rim brake pads out in 2 years ~ 15-20k km.