Surly Straggler - 650b

Aushiker

Surly Straggler - 650b

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:29 pm

We did this for much the same reason we did the 26” trucker. For smaller sized riders, the smaller wheel size offers less of the hassle (toe overlap, standover clearance, etc) of the larger 700c size. This also allows us to offer this in the smallest size Surly yet, a 38cm frame. The build kit is pretty much right in line with the 700c version, we will offer completes in 38-52cm and frames all the way up to 58cm. The original thought was we would only offer these in the smaller sizes, but those of us in the brand that test road the prototypes (large and small) loved the ride feel of the bike so much, we wanted to make sure it was available for larger riders as well (for us really, but from our selfishness you may benefit if this is the kind of thing that your rocks are gotten off upon).

With the 650b Straggler also comes the 650b x 41 Knard. Same awesome tire, now in yet another size. You’ll know that we’ve all started riding Bromptons the year we come out with a 16” Knard.
Source: Surly blog

Andrew

HappyHumber

Re: Surly Straggler - 650b

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:46 pm

That picture is wrecking my sense of scale. Curse them pygmies.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:53 pm

HappyHumber wrote:That picture is wrecking my sense of scale. Curse them pygmies.
haha, i was just thinking myself it looks normal.
understandable though... my CX bike makes my roadie look and feel like a toy.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:09 pm

the length of the gap between the TT and the DT behind the headtube is what starting throwing me off. I initially thought it was some sort of 29er Monster cross.... then the "650b" dissonated my cognisance somewhat further :?

I was having a conversation with Perth's own Patron Saint of Surly, Mr Just4tehallibut (owning at least 5 I can recall off the top of my head) just the other day. We were both wondering with the mushrooming of Surly models over the last 18 months - 2 years how much longer they can sustain such a large and varied range.

They've always been admirable for finding niches that have proved to have steady following; but the diversity and cross-over between their models these days is becoming mind boggling. I think they will have to rationalise and simplify at some point.
--

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:12 pm

I know nothing but,could this be some salesmanship? We would have to allow for the different wheel size models.
I reckon the new Stragler and the Crosscheck are the same frame with probably different appointments. This is just the Crosscheck in a different guise so easy to drop the Stragler in the big scheme of things if it doesn't take off.
Here are the two geometries side by side and I am just looking at the average size here. Changes appear minimal.

I overlaid the Stragler frame in green against the Crosscheck just for comparison and there is not a lot of difference on paper.It is offset for comparison.

Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:51 pm

The numbers are interesting, but I wouldn't assume those drawings are to scale - so I'd say an overlay like that is kind of moot.
--

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:26 am

HappyHumber wrote:I was having a conversation with Perth's own Patron Saint of Surly, Mr Just4tehallibut (owning at least 5 I can recall off the top of my head) just the other day. We were both wondering with the mushrooming of Surly models over the last 18 months - 2 years how much longer they can sustain such a large and varied range.
Actually 6 Surlys. 3 LHTs of various sizes, a Disc Trucker, a Trucker Deluxe and a Big Dummy. Was tempted by a cheap Troll on Clickbike.com.au but let someone else buy one and just offered to help with the assembly to contain my lust. Only 1 of those LHTs is a spare, the rest get thrashed. I broke one recently.

It's a logical step for Surly to branch out into 650B, there's a 650B retrotourist market that Rivendell and other competitors have a toehold with, Surly can now tap this. Surly has already been taking popular models and selling versions under different wheel sizes, now different drivetrains, sometimes giving them new model names, all in that American tradition of 'you never can have too much choice' in the supermarket. I hope that with this expansion of their market that they bring out appropriate accessories to match. They have the Surly Nice Rack but how about porteur and or Nitto-styled front racks that actually match their forks?

And you will see some Surly models disappear soon.

Edit: Had to look, that Troll is now $300 cheaper. Aagh.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:10 am

HappyHumber wrote:The numbers are interesting, but I wouldn't assume those drawings are to scale - so I'd say an overlay like that is kind of moot.
Yes I thought that too, but I must moot. Maybe they use the same dims for all the bikes then. I don't have two to compare with each other.

This is after all a bike manufacture displaying their wares under the term "Geometry" of such and such a bike. I can do no more than that really. I suppose there is always the mistakes in posting stuff but when looking at the nitty gritty of a bike, some folk would appreciate an accurate description.

But as you say I sure can't qualify any thing on their site. I just found that interesting, and it would lower the line up components to use existing frames. :) Hence not as many real models in the line up as it seems.

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:22 am

outnabike wrote:I know nothing but,could this be some salesmanship? We would have to allow for the different wheel size models.
I reckon the new Stragler and the Crosscheck are the same frame with probably different appointments. This is just the Crosscheck in a different guise so easy to drop the Stragler in the big scheme of things if it doesn't take off.
the Stragler is basically a Crosscheck with disc brakes. then Stragler 650B is just a baby stragler, so yes it is basically a crosscheck with disc brakes and smaller wheels.

that geo charts you've used however are for the 700c stragler, not the 650b.
the 650b has a shorter chainstay and a shorter fork, as well as coming in sizes down to 38cm.

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/straggler_650b/geometry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:35 am

Yes , I really don't know if they make a Crosscheck as small as the Stragler. So I just took the larger size for ease of published data, purely out of interest.
It's all good fun . The Stragler looks like a great bike in a small size.