new S&S Surlys

just4tehhalibut

Re: new S&S Surlys

Postby just4tehhalibut » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:16 pm

Trigger pulled, will take 5-6 week by sea freight but saves me $240 over air freight.
Ordered through Cycles Bespoke in Bayswater, one of the 2 WA Surly dealers, and yes the Surly website doesn't list any WA dealers but then the Surly website is pretty shoddy any. Mybe $2000.
Will have to move on a couple of MTBs, a LHT tourer, Mezzo folder and steal all the good bits off my flatbar.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:39 am

Finally got the frame last night, the delay probably a case of the importer missing an order deadline in August hence over 11 weeks for delivery. Apparently another Troller came in on this order, someone on the east coast has a smaller frame to build up. Glad that I didn't pay the extra $100 for the express freight, in the end Cycles Bespoke waived the freight costs so all good.

Unlike when I bought the previous Surly S&S-coupled frame this one came with the S&S spanner to decouple the frame and a syringe of the Finish Line Extreme Fluoro grease that S&S recommend for their couplings. The steerer tube was also painted black, not bare metal like all the other Surlys I've built up, this meant that I had to use a crown race reamer to clear the paint before fitting the bottom race on the fork. Haven't built the bike up yet, finishing the Boeshield treatment first and trying to clarify a few component issues: I'd bought the 22" frame and a Thomson Elite Setback seatpost but didn't do the math on stems, originally thinking that I'd use a Jones Loop bar but with the normal (okay, carbon) MTB bars this needs a silly short stem. So I need a straight post to help a couple of cm's. Then there's trying to find a solution to the full cable housing design when I want to place cable splitters for all the cables - I'd been hoping that someone else would have invented a solution to that issue by now, maybe it'll have to be me after all. And the frame also came with a direct mount adaptor and Surly's disc adaptor for the rear. The canti bosses are removable and I might do so.

Pics will come shortly.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:24 pm

Bugger. Bike24 is now selling the World Troller, for 1134 Euros with VAT removed (or AU$16-1700). Would probably get here faster than the local importer can ship too.