Focus Cayo 2 - thinking of fitting compact cranks

rpmspinman

Focus Cayo 2 - thinking of fitting compact cranks

Postby rpmspinman » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:42 pm

Hey guys, I have he Cayo 2 with Ultegra and full cranks (39/53 & 11-28) and am seriously considering swapping to compact cranks as I want to improve my hill climbs. Just wondering if any of you have done this already?
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

simonn

Re: Focus Cayo 2 - thinking of fitting compact cranks

Postby simonn » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:32 pm

Yes.

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:21 pm

simonn wrote:Yes.
What did you end up going to? Brand, sizing? How did you find it for choice with BB30 bearings?
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:24 am

I don't own a Focus. I did not realize you were asking this of Focus owners specifically.

My Van Nic has 2010 Campy Veloce which is Ultratorque. 2011+ Veloce are Powertorque. So I ended up getting a Fulcrum Racing Torq R compact crankset which is also Ultratorque (Fulcrum is basically Campy rebranded so they can sell into the Shimano/SRAM market).

Anyway...

Check that you can move your front derailleur down ~1cm - the braze-on mount might not allow it or there might be a bottle cage boss in the way.

You don't mention what brand/model of crankset is already on there, but the simplest way of going compact would just be to get the compact version of the crankset you already have so there is no need to get a new BB as well.

You will also need to/should shorten the chain by a couple of links too.

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:23 pm

simonn wrote:I don't own a Focus. I did not realize you were asking this of Focus owners specifically.

My Van Nic has 2010 Campy Veloce which is Ultratorque. 2011+ Veloce are Powertorque. So I ended up getting a Fulcrum Racing Torq R compact crankset which is also Ultratorque (Fulcrum is basically Campy rebranded so they can sell into the Shimano/SRAM market).

Anyway...

Check that you can move your front derailleur down ~1cm - the braze-on mount might not allow it or there might be a bottle cage boss in the way.

You don't mention what brand/model of crankset is already on there, but the simplest way of going compact would just be to get the compact version of the crankset you already have so there is no need to get a new BB as well.

You will also need to/should shorten the chain by a couple of links too.
no worries. I got an FSA Gossamer crank set. Its the brand that came with the bike. Dont know much about the brand but it seems to be alright so I might stick with the brand to avoid having to worry too much about changing the BB. Thanks for you advice on the chain and FD too.
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:38 pm

I have a barely used FSA Energy 172.5 BB30 50/34 crankset that I'm not using. PM me if you are interested.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:43 pm

I tried compact and went back to full size. I found I could never find the right gear without doing any major cross chaining.

If your dropping your inner chainring down to a 34 to make climbing easier you can achieve the same result for less money by replacing your rear cassette with one that has a 32tooth pie dish and putting on a GS length rear derailleur. The gear ratio for a 34x28 is identical to a 39x32.

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:51 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:I tried compact and went back to full size. I found I could never find the right gear without doing any major cross chaining.

If your dropping your inner chainring down to a 34 to make climbing easier you can achieve the same result for less money by replacing your rear cassette with one that has a 32tooth pie dish and putting on a GS length rear derailleur. The gear ratio for a 34x28 is identical to a 39x32.
Thats very interesting. I was always under the impression the idea of going the bigger cassette wasn't as big as going compact cranks. I would certainly look at the cheaper option if it meant I was getting similar results. Cheers for that.

PS. would I need to do anything to the chain with a change in cassette size only?
Last edited by rpmspinman on Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:52 pm

ball bearing wrote:I have a barely used FSA Energy 172.5 BB30 50/34 crankset that I'm not using. PM me if you are interested.
Thanks mate, I will have a think about it. Might look into the bigger cassette as a cheaper alternative instead.
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:56 pm

rpmspinman wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:
PS. would I need to do anything to the chain with a change in cassette size only?
Yeah, you will need to lengthen your chain. Sorry I forgot that one.

Regardless of which way you choose to go you will be adjusting your chain length.

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:55 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
rpmspinman wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:
Yeah, you will need to lengthen your chain. Sorry I forgot that one.

Regardless of which way you choose to go you will be adjusting your chain length.
Thanks for that feedback Scott. I keep getting differing opinions on what is cheaper/easier and what isn't. Some will say compact cranks is the go but you will need to ensure FD & RD will cope with the changes, also adjust/new chain is required and BB will need to be accounted for. On the other hand, those who recommend the cassette option say its cheaper but recommend new/modified chain and some adjustments of the RD???

What is the cheaper/easier option at the end of the day? And will I notice a benefit on hill climbs?

So far to go the changed cassette option I will need:
new cassette
lengthened or new chain
RD adjustment?
Anything else?

How can I avoid cross chaining? or am I biting off more than I can chew by going down this route?
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:03 pm

Price wise for cassette/derailleur path

Ultegra chain - $30

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... 6000000000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ultegra GS rear dérailleur - $78

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... himgrrr468" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shimano Deore XT 11-32 10 speed cassette (Ultegra level mtb cassette) - $63

http://www.this link is broken/Mobi ... elID=52281" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Total = $171 + $20 shipping

Crank alternative -

Fulcrum R Torq compact cranks - $240

http://www.this link is broken/Mobi ... elID=26431" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fulcrum bottom bracket - $24

http://www.this link is broken/Mobi ... elID=33275" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Total = $264 with free shipping from c r c

You should get away with your current chain if you go the compact route, as long as it is in good nick.

Going the larger cassette option will require a GS rear dérailleur as the standard SS has a maximum rear cassette cog size of 28 teeth.

As for cross chaining you will have to work out what gear combinations you currently use the most. Then get a gear calculator out and work out were you will sit on the rear cassette when using a 50-34 front ring setup.