Merida Scultura wheel weight

slau73

Merida Scultura wheel weight

Postby slau73 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:01 pm

Hello,

I am looking at upgrading the wheels on my 2011 Merida Scultura 904. But whilst looking around, read many comments about why certain wheels were not preferred because of their weight. Then that made me ask myself, how much does my current wheels weigh? i wouldn't want to go and buy new wheels only to realise that they weigh more than what I currently have!

The factory wheels that came on the Scultura 904 is a set of Merida rebranded Alexim (33mm depth). Without going an taking off the tyres/tubes and rear cassette and putting them on a set of scales! would anyone happen to know how much these wheels may weigh?

Thanks.

slau73

Re: Merida Scultura wheel weight

Postby slau73 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:47 pm

I just saw my own post from over a year ago and figured in case anyone else was asking the same question as I had, I should reply since I did end up having ghe wheels weighed.

Front wheel with tyre and tube - 1.371kg
Rear wheel with tyre, tube and cassette - 1.851kg

I am using Continental Gatorskins, Continental Race 28 tubes and Shimano 105 cassette. Sorry, I don't have the weight of these items but its quite easier to search around to find the weight of these to subtract of the above weights to get actuals of the wheels alone.

Dimis

Re: Merida Scultura wheel weight

Postby Dimis » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:09 pm

slau73 wrote:
Front wheel with tyre and tube - 1.371kg
Rear wheel with tyre, tube and cassette - 1.851kg
I can't say I have any experience with your current wheel-set but just to compare, my mavic ksyriums weigh all in at sub 2100g front and back, with tires, and tubes (but no cassette), and my DA c24 a tad less at around 2kgs.

if you factor in that your 105 cassette weighs in at about 250g those wheels of yours are pretty heavy.

There are a range of wheel-sets available that could easily get under your current total of around 3kgs.

In fact you might have to look hard to find a half decent set that won't. :oops:

Jus' saying.