2013 Scultura Rattle

coops

2013 Scultura Rattle

Postby coops » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:42 pm

I recently purchased a 2013 scultura. I'm really happy with the bike apart from an annoying rattle. On smooth roads it's quiet until you hit a bump. On rough bitumen the noise is continuous. In case others have the same problem...

With Brownster's help I tracked it down to be coming from the internal rear derailleur cable rattling around inside the frame (probably not an issue with the electronic shifting versions). Armed with google and my awesome backyard engineering skills :lol: I have come up with the following solution.

Basically 2 zip ties, one at each end of the RD cable to keep it a little in tension. A little bit of rubber under the zip ties to stop them slipping along the cable. I was tempted to pull the BB apart to see if there was a better way to do things but the bike still feels too new so I've stuck with the non-intrusive solution for now.

The bike is pretty much silent now 8) . I'll ask the bike shop when I take it in for the first service, but any other suggestions for more elegant solutions are welcome.

Ozkaban

Re: 2013 Scultura Rattle

Postby Ozkaban » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:15 pm

Nice kludge, but if it works... :mrgreen:

Very art-house abstract photo too, btw. Very cool 8)

Phildo

Postby Phildo » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:14 pm

Hey coops, how is the bike going all up anyway. I am considering getting one myself very shortly. Anything else to report?

coops

Postby coops » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:45 am

Hi Phildo, I'm really happy with it. I've clocked up a bit over 1600km now including a 205km ride. It's still running quiet and smooth as per the post.

Mine is the 907 pro with mechanical ultegra & fulcrum 3s. I was happy that it came with good/light wheels as standard. The only other thing I did was get a 11-23 cluster which I now use most of the time, but throw the 11-28 that it came with back on for when I'm heading to big hills. It's a big step up from my previous bike so maybe I'm not as critical as others. :D

Come to think of it there is one thing I don't like. Due to the short chain stays it's hard to get the back wheel off with tyre fully inflated due to the tight clearance. I've found it a bit easier if I remove the skewer completely. I think all sculturas below this one have slightly longer chain stays so shouldn't be an issue.

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:17 am

What's the advantage with internal cables? External cables have less drag and are easier to work with.

Brownster

Postby Brownster » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:48 pm

I have the Scultura SL Team and it is an amazing bike. Extremely stiff over my last Giant TCR 0. Same issue with the internal cable noise but doesnt bother me. Might try Coops suggested fix.
My bike has done more than 2500 in the last few months and no issues....

Phildo

Postby Phildo » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:48 pm

Thanks coops for the reply...

Purchased a 2013 Scultara Comp 905. It was a good compromise between good value and a higher spec without going overboard. Now if the recent storms subside in Brisbane I may get to ride the thing..... :evil: . One thing that bugs me a little is where the internal cables run into the down tube there is a crappy little grommet that always pulls out. It is suspose to have a sicky back but I've noticed nearly all of the sculturas have these lose and pulling out. Any fixes (besides silicon :? )??

coops

Postby coops » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:53 am

Mine did that a couple of times, but only on the RD cable so my fix above soon put a stop to that :wink:

Brownster

Postby Brownster » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:12 pm

Phildo wrote:Thanks coops for the reply...

Purchased a 2013 Scultara Comp 905. It was a good compromise between good value and a higher spec without going overboard. Now if the recent storms subside in Brisbane I may get to ride the thing..... :evil: . One thing that bugs me a little is where the internal cables run into the down tube there is a crappy little grommet that always pulls out. It is suspose to have a sicky back but I've noticed nearly all of the sculturas have these lose and pulling out. Any fixes (besides silicon :? )??

Phildo,

Could try trimming some of the rubber so its gets a better fit. Mine does the same and I think I will try this as well.

Phildo

Postby Phildo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:05 pm

Cheers Brownster, I have just come in from trimming it and read your post. Looks OK now, I'll see how it goes. The grommet lip had caught on the rim of the opening and bent back on itself. No big bickie. Definately not a deal breaker, loving the bike more every day. :D

aaronvj

Postby aaronvj » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:54 pm

I have the SL 909 and it rattles like no tomorrow. I have been banned from riding with my mates until it is fixed. As the only think I know how to fix is my iphone date settings, it is at the shop at the moment being looked at. Otherwise love the bike....

Phildo

Postby Phildo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:25 pm

It would appear that the cable simply isnt being held at both ends properly.

The grommets dont provide enough bite to support the cable in a tight manner. If you hold the end near your top bar and reach over and pull the D/r end you can tension it up enough not to worry on a 60 - 70 klm ride (if find anyway - and I go over some pretty $hitte roads here in Brisbane).

Nice bike but let down on this simple problem. It can rattle like B1tch on herringbone pavers near the Queensland Uni !!!

Phil.

aaronvj

Postby aaronvj » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:42 pm

I have the below reply on facebook from Merida Australia regarding the issue and their fix for the problem.

Merida Bikes Australia Hi Aaron there were some Scultura bikes shipped without the necessary sound insulation on the rear derailleur cable. Head on back to the shop where you purchased your bike and we will arrange for a kit to be sent to the shop to rectify this issue - should take about 5-10 minutes to have you back riding with your mates again!

Will see how mine is after it is looked and might go for this fix.

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:01 pm

Now that's the type of bike company I want to deal with.Great response we can fix it attitude.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2