My initial review of my Merida Scultura Comp 905-E

auswi2

Postby auswi2 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:21 pm

Hello,

I very recently purchased a new Merida Scultura Comp 905-E and this is my initial review after a few rides.

The frame is fairly stiff and when i accelerate hard the bike responds effortlessly and is smooth on all road surfaces with no noticeable vibration. The Entry level Fulcrum wheels are strong and true. The Vittoria Rubino Slick roll nicely but already got my 1st puncture today. There are better tyres out there that roll as well and have better puncture protection like maxxis re-fuse

The FSA Crank and FSA Drop bars look nice and seem to do the job well. The Ultegra DI2 is absolutely a step up from Cables especially moving from the small to big cog on the front. Very smooth going through all the gears on both small and big front cogs. I did have initial problems with the chain jumping the cogs on the way down but I took it to a LBS I trust and he tuned and adjusted the FD and RD for me. The Selle Italia X1 saddle still feels hard to me but I will give it some more time to see if i can get used to it.

The only thing i don't like is the Merida Pro Brakes as they don't have the stopping power or feel of my previous 105 let alone ultegra so these will be the 1st thing to get changed in the coming months. I was surprised to see how well the Tiagra rear cassette worked compared to my previous 105 and will keep running that until it dies and then replace it with a ultegra rear cassette.

Overall: Great frame and very smooth ride. (Make sure the gears are set up correctly before you ride it to get the most enjoyment.

Thanks

Auswi2

brett.hooker

Re: My initial review of my Merida Scultura Comp 905-E

Postby brett.hooker » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:59 pm

Great to read your review...

I am working towards a carbon ultegra di2 as a reward to mileage/weightloss this year.

I love my Merida Ride lite 91 (sora + alum frame) and have been leaning towards the 905-e as my di2 goal.

However, as you have noted in your review, it seems that Merida has really downspec'd the group set, I am guessing to hit the price point, and therefore I had begun looking at the 907-e as an alternative as it is a full ultegra group set with lighter frame and wheels. The extra $1000 is a big step up, and although I am loving the Merida's, maybe the Giant and others come into the picture at the low $3000 price range...

I guess the alternative would be to just order the 905-e and have my LBS install ultegra brakes (etc) from day one... I can imagine the price gap being caught up very quickly though...

Please keep posting updates on your journey with the 905-e; if nothing else, I can ride vicariously through you... :-)
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

auswi2

Postby auswi2 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:44 pm

Thanks for your comments.

I have looked online and can pick up a set of ultegra brakes for approx $100 Aust. Besides that there is nothing I would need to change for at least 12 months. I am learning that by keeping the drivetrain clean the bike runs really smoothly.

Will post more updates in the next few weeks

Auswi2

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:09 pm

Awesome...

In concur in regards to a clean drivetrain... Did mine again yesterday and it was gloriously smooth this morning!!!

Feel free to share where you can get Ultegras calipers for $100 for the pair... Would put them on my 91 for that price...
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:13 pm

auswi2 wrote:Hello,

The only thing i don't like is the Merida Pro Brakes as they don't have the stopping power or feel of my previous 105 let alone ultegra so these will be the 1st thing to get changed in the coming months.
Try some different pads before you spend the money, unless you are after a fully matched groupset. You already have FSA cranks so it shouldn't be too important. Different pads could be all that you need.

auswi2

Postby auswi2 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:35 am

Thanks i will try that. I will look at ordering 4 Dura Ace or Ultegra pads and see if they make a difference.

I was under the impression it was the design of the brakes but as they work the same as Ultegra etc I will order some pads and see what difference that makes.

Thanks Heaps

Auswi2

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:15 am

I will be interested to hear what you think of the pad upgrade.

I put ultegra pads into my sora brakes on the ride 91, and it is a little better, but not dramatically so.

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:22 am

I would recommend Kool Stop or Swiss Stop before Shimano pads.

http://www.this link is broken/kool-stop-dura2-p ... -compound/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (1 pair)
http://www.this link is broken/swissstop-flash-p ... ance-pads/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (2 pair)
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

auswi2

Postby auswi2 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:36 pm

I wonder if nomal Shimano or swissstop pads will fit when i take the Merida pro pads off and will I need to order the pads only or the piece that the pads fit into.

Thanks

auswi2

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:26 pm

auswi2 wrote:I wonder if nomal Shimano or swissstop pads will fit when i take the Merida pro pads off and will I need to order the pads only or the piece that the pads fit into.

Thanks

auswi2
I don't see why the pads wouldn't fit as I assume the Merida Pro brakes would be similar to standard road brakes. I guess if you want to know for sure on each question maybe head down to the LBS and ask the question.
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

DCP

Postby DCP » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:22 pm

auswi2 wrote: The Selle Italia X1 saddle still feels hard to me but I will give it some more time to see if i can get used to it.
I did 500+ k's on that sorry excuse for a lump of wood before replacement on my Reacto.

My ass has not stopped thanking me for it :D
2012 Merida Reacto 904

auswi2

Postby auswi2 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:25 am

What saddle did you end up choosing,

I find it difficult to go to a LBS and choose a saddle as you can't test them properly. To me it is trial and error

Thanks

auswi2

DCP

Postby DCP » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:49 am

I ended up with a Cobb saddle.
http://www.cobbcycling.com.au/collectio ... ducts/plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was a spare saddle that my brother had. I was looking at Selle SMP saddles.
2012 Merida Reacto 904

auswi2

Postby auswi2 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:50 pm

Hello,

Went for another decent ride on this bike yesterday but first I made some brake adjustments.

I was suprised to see that after the adjustments the Merida Pro brakes and pads handled really well so no need to do anything there which is great. It could be that they have started to bead in hence the performance improvement. I have decided to change the Vittoria Rubino Slick tyres out with a set of Maxis Re-fuse Tyres along with some quality tubes which I have ordered from c r c today That should make a world of difference and is more puncture resistant then what I currently have.

The bike itself is fantastic and very smooth. one thing I do like is being able to flip the stem over to increase the drop bar height or to remove some of the discs to lower the height.

Overall Great Bike for the price

Auswi2

auswi2

Postby auswi2 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:27 am

Hello,

This is my final review of the Merida 905-E. I have done a few ks on it now.

Despite non ultegra Brakes, Cassette and Chainset the bike feels well made and is a pleasure to ride. Bike ifeels stable at high speeds and fast cornering.

The frame is light and stiff.

Thanks

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:07 am

Thanks for the reviews!!! Absolutely great input for me... Dreaming of the day I will get my di2 Merida... :-)

auswi2

Postby auswi2 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:01 pm

Hi All,

It has been 12 months since i done this review and great news I still have the bike and loving it. The only change i have made besides the saddle which I changed very early on in the piece was to put stainless Steel brake cables from my local LBS which has helped hugely.

I have only had one spoke break on the original wheels and no issues with the DI2 components. The bike comefortable to ride and if you need to sprint it is very stiff and responsive and have changed gears under load many times. I still have the original 4600 cassette and no issues what so ever

I would have no hesitation in reccomending this bike to anyone.

Regards

herzog

Postby herzog » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:07 pm

Odd that they would package a bike with Di2 shifting and "Coles home brand" brakes.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:15 pm

herzog wrote:Odd that they would package a bike with Di2 shifting and "Coles home brand" brakes.

Merida aren't the only ones who do it!
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

herzog

Postby herzog » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:26 pm

Yeah but still... It's a bit like sticking Bob Jane all rounders on a BMW.

auswi2

Postby auswi2 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:14 pm

The Merida brakes are not that Bad. The stainless steel cables make them more responsive.

They are easy to replace with Ultegra if required. i chose the cheaper option

Thanks

Auswi2