Merida Ride 91: Upgrade or Buy New?

GaryC

Merida Ride 91: Upgrade or Buy New?

Postby GaryC » Fri May 10, 2013 10:49 pm

I've purchased a 2011 model Ride 91 last year in Oct. Initially I only wanted to use it as a commuter to and fro uni, but I've really taken to riding and want to put some more effort into this. This is my first road bike, so I don't really have a comparison bike. Overall, I've found the bike I've felt that the bike. However, the Sora shifters are a pain even though I got them serviced twice. The front derailleur won't shift up until I push it twice and the rears are a bit dodgy. So I've been tempted to upgrade to a new groupset or, just plainly buy a new bike (dare I say 'carbon'?).

Since I'm not very experienced in this, is the Ride 91 frame decent (decent enough) to be worth upgrading or would a better bike be worth it more? For the bikes, I've been looking at bikes up to around $2000 on bike exchange, wiggle, etc.

brett.hooker

Re: Merida Ride 91: Upgrade or Buy New?

Postby brett.hooker » Sat May 11, 2013 9:33 am

Get the sora shifters adjusted correctly.,. Use a different lbs if you have to. I have exactly the same bike, also purchased in October, and I have put 4,500 km on it already. Shifting has never been a problem. I keep the chain clean and oiled regularly; with all this wet weather in se Qld, the drive train gets a lot of dirt in it.

In terms of upgrading; mechanical Ultegra on the 91 frame would be lovely!!! I put Ultegra brakes on mine and it make a big difference to stopping.

Ultimately, it sounds like you would love the carbon Ultegra di2 types bikes... :-)
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

GaryC

Postby GaryC » Sat May 11, 2013 9:51 am

Indeed I would! But still, my pocket's a bit light at the moment :P

It's just that the LBS had adjusted it twice, and after a while it still reverted back to a problem. When I push the shifter to shift-up on the front derailleur, it doesn't shift immediately and just rattles. I then have to nudge the shifter again to 'encourage' the chain to move. This sounds like a cable tension issue, doesn't it?

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Sat May 11, 2013 10:29 am

The cables don't keep stretching that much.
On mine, the lbs actually lowered the derailleur from the factory position and it made for much better shifts.
Might need something like that on yours.
That said, 105's or Ultegras would be amazing, and upgrade your wheels...
The 91 is okay weight wise; around 9.5kg. Pop some lighter wheels on, and then do the group set, and you will have a very sweet ride...
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

GaryC

Postby GaryC » Sat May 11, 2013 5:47 pm

I went to the LBS and asked around. Guy said upgrading wheels is much more worth the money than upgrading a groupset. His as your advice was sound. I'll have a look at wheels.

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Sat May 11, 2013 6:04 pm

And see if you can get that front derailleur tuned better... Mine is sweet.

Wheels are interesting because you can take them to the next bike as well...

GaryC

Postby GaryC » Sun May 12, 2013 2:55 pm

Yeah, that too. And while looking at wheels I was also glancing at carbon frames straight from China, but that's a whole 'nother matter altogether..