Where to from a Merida Warp Speed Six

csgregor

Where to from a Merida Warp Speed Six

Postby csgregor » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:51 pm

I hope this is the right spot to post this.

I'm currently riding a Merida Warp 6 TT 2010 (I think it's 2010)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bCYGZ0BznY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www4.merida-bikes.com/en_int/bik ... WARP+HFS+6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm wondering peoples thoughts on where to go from riding one of these.

I'm not super comfortable on the bike. the standard bars don't have a lot of adjustment available.
I like the aero position and I prefer a higher bar position at the moment.
Do I a) upgrade the bars to something more adjustable
b) upgrade the bike to something else. If so, what bike?

I have a half ironman in June and want to make sure I am comfortable during it.

Duck!
Expert

Re: Where to from a Merida Warp Speed Six

Postby Duck! » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:50 pm

What aspect of the setup are you finding uncomfortable? The You Toob clip indicates the stem is angle-adjustable; what angle is your current stem set to? If it's already at full height you could be a bit stuck unless you really need a big height increase. There are steerer extenders, which slip over the top of the existing steerer (the tube from the top of the fork) & clamp on, then the stem is clamped to that. The problem is the minimum height increase you get from one of these is about 45mm, which is quite a big difference.

If it's fore-&-aft or lateral adjustment of the aerobars that's the problem, you may need to change either the extensions and possibly the base bar as well, depending how integrated they are. The spec sheet & video clip don't give that good an indication how adjustable they are sadly.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

csgregor

Postby csgregor » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:38 pm

im 170cm tall so seat height isnt an issue.
currently I have the seat as far forward as I can put it and the handles bars are on a 40mm stem.
It's the aerobars that aren't comfortable. they have 3 lateral positions and 0 fore/aft movement available.
i've moved the pads as lateral as they will go from being in the middle position and still find the position uncomfortable. the aerobars themselves dont have a lot of rise near the shifters and i think that causes a bit of grief.
I sat on a specialized shiv last week and the comfort difference is astounding. I cant figure out why exactly. Theyre both tri bikes. The differences are the specialized was a S frame and this is a M. the seat was different and the aero bars had more height (at the shifter end) and length to them.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:40 pm

By the sounds of the bike is not exactly the right size for you, and does not appear to have sufficient scope to make it a better fit.

Really only two choices, and these are to buy a Specialized bike the same as you found comfortable, or get a professional bike fit from someone that is able to change the configuration of the bike to suit you.