Advance Traders / Merida Warranty Experience

WhingingPom
Posts: 524
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:16 am

Advance Traders / Merida Warranty Experience

Postby WhingingPom » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:42 pm

Has anyone had experience of how long it takes Advance Traders to pull their finger out and replace a frame under warranty? The LBS and local Advance Traders rep agree that it's a warranty replacement, but Advance Traders are insisting that everything has to "be approved by Taiwan" before they ship out a replacement frame that they have sitting in their warehouse. :evil:

Has been two weeks so far and getting annoying. If the local distributor isn't able to stand behind the products that they sell, looks like +1 and +2 won't be Merida/Norco/LaPierre.

User avatar
trailgumby
Posts: 12691
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Advance Traders / Merida Warranty Experience

Postby trailgumby » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:58 pm

You're in for an interesting ride. It took my ride buddy four months.

Details here.

http://nobmob.com/node/53454

WhingingPom
Posts: 524
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:16 am

Re: Advance Traders / Merida Warranty Experience

Postby WhingingPom » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:18 pm

trailgumby wrote:You're in for an interesting ride. It took my ride buddy four months.

Details here.

http://nobmob.com/node/53454


Awesome. And by "awesome" I mean really not awesome.

Fortunately, someone I ride with from the LBS has been kind enough to loan me an old roadie of his, so I'm not going completely insane!

Thanks for the info.

nezumi
Posts: 945
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:30 pm
Location: Eltham, Melbourne

Re: Advance Traders / Merida Warranty Experience

Postby nezumi » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:39 pm

WhingingPom wrote:Has anyone had experience of how long it takes Advance Traders to pull their finger out and replace a frame under warranty? The LBS and local Advance Traders rep agree that it's a warranty replacement, but Advance Traders are insisting that everything has to "be approved by Taiwan" before they ship out a replacement frame that they have sitting in their warehouse. :evil:

Has been two weeks so far and getting annoying. If the local distributor isn't able to stand behind the products that they sell, looks like +1 and +2 won't be Merida/Norco/LaPierre.


Two options are available to you.

1. Get the LBS you bought the bike from to replace it - it's their issue just as much as it is the distributors. They can't foist all responsibility off onto the distributor.
2. Contact the ACCC and get them involved.

See https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consu ... ace-refund
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

WhingingPom
Posts: 524
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:16 am

Re: Advance Traders / Merida Warranty Experience

Postby WhingingPom » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:04 pm

nezumi wrote:
WhingingPom wrote:Has anyone had experience of how long it takes Advance Traders to pull their finger out and replace a frame under warranty? The LBS and local Advance Traders rep agree that it's a warranty replacement, but Advance Traders are insisting that everything has to "be approved by Taiwan" before they ship out a replacement frame that they have sitting in their warehouse. :evil:

Has been two weeks so far and getting annoying. If the local distributor isn't able to stand behind the products that they sell, looks like +1 and +2 won't be Merida/Norco/LaPierre.


Two options are available to you.

1. Get the LBS you bought the bike from to replace it - it's their issue just as much as it is the distributors. They can't foist all responsibility off onto the distributor.
2. Contact the ACCC and get them involved.

See https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consu ... ace-refund


The frame is being replaced. Unfortunately, the ACL doesn't specify that anyone in the process has to pull their finger out :evil:

lexel001
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 7:10 pm

Re: Advance Traders / Merida Warranty Experience

Postby lexel001 » Fri May 20, 2016 6:01 pm

Keep calling them and your bike shop!
I've gone through a Lapierre frame warranty with Boggo Boad Bicycle Centre with Advance Traders their distributor.
And finally today received the replacement! Starting from Jan 28 to May 20! 4 months and one day!
I made regular calls and throughout the entire process did not get a single apology from either parties. Absolutely abysmal, totally pathetic!
I'll be adding a Lapierre section to the forum warning potential buyers of anything associated with Advance Traders and Boggo Road Bicycle Centre.
Hope you don't have go through what I endured.

WhingingPom
Posts: 524
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:16 am

Re: Advance Traders / Merida Warranty Experience

Postby WhingingPom » Sun May 22, 2016 7:52 pm

The LBS were pretty good throughout the whole process. Advance Traders were a waste of space. Didn't provide any assistance other than being a conduit for information to/from Merida.

5.5 weeks and I had a new frame. Bike was reassembled, same problem. Turns out the free hub was corroded as anything. Now waiting another week for DT Swiss to send out a new free hub.

On the plus side, I've just got a new frame, forks, seat post and bottom bracket. Fortunately, a mate has loaned me a spare bike of his for the duration otherwise, I'd be ropable.

Despite getting the new frame for what turns out to be no reason, the experience has turned me off buying anything distributed by Advance Traders in the future.

User avatar
trailgumby
Posts: 12691
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Advance Traders / Merida Warranty Experience

Postby trailgumby » Sun May 22, 2016 9:34 pm

Thanks for sharing. Useful to know that my riding buddy's experience is not a once-off.

WhingingPom
Posts: 524
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:16 am

Re: Advance Traders / Merida Warranty Experience

Postby WhingingPom » Thu May 26, 2016 10:13 pm

trailgumby wrote:Thanks for sharing. Useful to know that my riding buddy's experience is not a once-off.


I wouldn't mind, but I actually quite like the bike - it rides well, looks good and gets a lot of compliments. Just a shame that the local distributor couldn't care less about either the product that makes them money or the end customer that provides it.

User avatar
redcorpsjames
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:45 pm
Location: sydney

Re: Advance Traders / Merida Warranty Experience

Postby redcorpsjames » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:22 pm

I recently found a crack in my Scultura 905, they had sent a replacement Scultura 5000 frame and set it all up for me within 1 week.
Merida Scultura 905 2013
cell messenger fixie 2013

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users