2008 Cervelo Soloist team

lunar_c

2008 Cervelo Soloist team

Postby lunar_c » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:38 pm

I thought I may as well start a thread on this bike as I think I'll be holding onto it for a long time.

It's a 2008 soloist team, with full ultegra 6600 10 speed.

As it was when I bought it:

It had belonged to a triathlete, and was sporting some xero training wheels, heavy ism saddle and itm bar/stem.

The groupset has hardly any wear, and the frame is unmarked as the bike was apparently only used for a few triathlons and training before being retired.

I put my RS81 C35's on and immediately ordered a fizik arione, some elite race cages, some FSA compact bars, and changed the bars and stem for some FSA Omega stuff I had lying around (I'm not keen on anatomic bars but at least they were 42cm).

It then looked like this and weighed in at 8.635kg. I trimmed up the cables as well as they were too long.

The plan is for full dura ace 7800, and the alpha Q full carbon fork which came on the dura ace model.

I have all the dura ace parts coming.

I've also ordered titanium bolts for everything on the bike bar the groupset, and ultimately I'd love a set of 2008-2010 zipp 404's on it.

It'll essentially be a CSC team bike then. Like Jensy used to ride!

lunar_c

Re: 2008 Cervelo Soloist team

Postby lunar_c » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:18 am

Full dura ace 7800 groupset (including cassette and pedals) is on its way.

Plus FSA SL-K stem and bars (which will be tuned with Ti bolts)

Now the wait for things to arrive begins!

Pics soon.

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:36 pm

Progress ..

Dura Ace 7800 cranks, shifters, brakes and derailleurs are on. Still waiting on the dura ace cassette. New shimano cables.

All of the bolts on the seat post and clamp (except the knurled adjuster bolt) are now titanium. The stem bolts and top cap bolt are titanium.

FSA SL-K bars and stem are on. Fizik K:ium Arione and bar tape. Also a K-edge Garmin mount.

It's 8170g with the cheap shimano pedals, Garmin mount and speed/cadence sensors at the moment.

7840g without pedals. Probably lose another 50g with the dura ace cassette.

Plans for next year are Look pedals (probably Keo 2 Max, with upgraded Ti axles ~200g) as I need a bit more float, a full carbon fork (maybe 100-150g less) and a few more bolts will be replaced with Ti.

Then I'd really like some Zipp's .. 2008-2010 404 tubulars should drop a lot of weight.

I'm not a huge weight weenie sort of person but it has been fun to consider where improvements could be made when choosing components, and on a limited budget with such a large frame keeping weight down has been important.

My goal is a comfortable "special ride" bike aomewhere around 7.5kg ready to ride.

I already love the handling and poise of the bike, so weight for the climbing is all I am really working on. Plus it's fun.

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:43 pm

Look Keo 2 Max pedals are ordered, plus Ti bolts are on their way for the bidon cages and the last bolts I wanted to replace on the seat post.

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:31 am

8.1kg with the Look's.

KCNC Ti skewers and Al chainring bolts ordered.

Will grab some Ti axles for the Looks and some FSA carbon cages in the next week or two which should drop it below 8kg to around 7.9kg.

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:38 pm

8060g with the KCNC Ti skewers. Very nice kit they are.

FSA SL-K cages (28g ea, should save 32g) on the way.

Ti axles on the way (should save 46g)

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Tue May 16, 2017 1:48 pm

So once I put the Ti axles in I finished the bike there for now and it weighed in at 7995g which met my goal of <8kg but only just.

It has some giant carbon cages there as my wife stole the sl-k's for her tcr- they are about the same weight.

I ended up changing back to continental race 28 tubes because I had trouble with getting the maxxis featherweights in Perth and also with air loss when I was riding the bike every day (~300km/week).

The Ti skewers and axles have been a bit problematic as well. The axles may either be slightly undersized or the retaining collars (interference fit on the axle) have stretched a bit from taking them off of the CrMo axles the collars have been moving creating play and causing the pedals to creak and one to come apart during a particularly hard climb - not fun.

The Ti QR's are lovely but the front one creaks on my carbon fork - intermittently sticking a bit of carbon paste where it seats helps.

This is about as low as I could go practically (without lots of money on super light tuning parts and a change of wheels and fork) and I feel for all round use around this weight is okay for me as I am not a climber.

I recently decided to focus my training and riding for competing in some TT's as I like this type of riding.

In light of this I decided some new wheels were in order..

They are 2010 HED Stinger 9 tubulars. I picked them up for a song from a triathlete who has gone over to clinchers.

Stay tuned..

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Thu May 18, 2017 9:00 pm

Tufo S33 Pro 24's test fitted .. got the first coats of glue on the wheels today and have the tubs stretching on a spare pair of rims.

So excited!

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Sun May 21, 2017 10:12 pm

Raining cats and dogs in Perth this weekend so I got my tubs glued. First time doing this so it was a bit painful.

Next time a little less glue and I think I have the technique now.

Looks the business! I took half the HED stickers off the rims too .. I am still considering totally de-stickering them.

Came in at 7815g which I am pleased with. I went with the tufo's as they were cheap and supposedly quite durable. I didn't want to ruin a set of good tyres if I completely stuffed the gluing process. I will run Vittoria corsas or continental comp's soon, saving about 80-90g.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Mon May 22, 2017 10:44 am

Ben! looks like an absolute weapon!

imo id leave the stickers, i think the half covered looks cool, and will look as good once rolling!

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Tue May 23, 2017 10:48 am

Set 5 PB's just commuting to work yesterday :)

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:12 pm

Trying to get some more colour on the bike so switching to white jaguar road pro cables and white/logo fizik super light 2mm bar tape.

Also switching out the bolts on my K-edge for Ti for the hell of it.

Still looking at fork upgrades but want to stay with a 43mm rake to preserve the excellent and stable handling. Waiting for a guy to get back to me about a Cervelo P4 full carbon fork (straight 1&1/8" full carbon) advertised locally. This would save approximately 100-150g.

Really wanting to paint or polish/anodise the frame red but don't want to have the bike off of the road for long so that's on the back burner.

Planning to change the tyres for Vittoria Corsa's in 25mm eventually with a tan wall.

I am getting used to the stinger 9's but wish I had a shallower 50 or 60mm front wheel to switch in and out for when the sea breeze is gusting up. Even with my 75kg it gets pretty wild when it's windy. Quick wheels though. I'd love to rebuild them with silver spokes and upgrade the hub to 11spd one day.

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:22 pm

Changed over to Vittoria Corsa Elite 23mm tubulars. Excellent tyres. Saved about 60g here over the Tufo's.

Changed to a single position carbon seatpost (made by Ritchey I believe) saving over 70g from the two position post and being much stiffer, less prone to creaking. Just waiting for the Ti bolts to arrive and will be replacing the steel bolts in the post with those. More for corrosion resistance than anything.

I added some weight back on changing over from the carbon cages to some Elite cannibals. Just so much nicer to use. Function wins out here.

I've ordered a NOS full carbon fork (OEM fork from a Cube) with a 12k weave, which will save some ~100g. I wanted a Columbus tusk straight or a Grammy slim but this came up at a cracking price.

I'm also changing saddles (again) to a Fizik Tritone TT/Tri noseless saddle in my never ending quest for the right saddle.

Having a 16.8cm drop puts a lot of pressure on certain delicate areas, so a noseless saddle has been recommend. I gave the Arione ~12 months.

I felt the Antares wasn't a great departure from what I've tried before and decided to follow the recommendations of my bike fitter.

https://goo.gl/photos/ByCxiSecmswVjSxT8

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:52 pm

New fork (OEM Cube) weighed in at 339g with steerer trimmed and crown race installed, vs 485g for the original fork. -146g there.

FSA expander bung was 48g, 45 with Ti bolt. -3g there.

Now all set up, it's weighing in at 7.590kg.

I'm pleased with this weight considering the 61cm frame and 90mm wheels.

https://goo.gl/photos/iz3NVabCuhxoct526