Road bike for touring: what to look for?

Road bike for touring: what to look for?

Postby xander90 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:36 pm

Hello all,

This year I am looking to cycle from Brisbane to Wollongong (~100km South of Sydney). However I don't have a bike. I don't really have the budget ($1000 give or take a few hundred) to buy a new touring bike and it is difficult to come by second hand touring bikes so am thinking of buying a second hand road bike. I will be travelling light, probably set up a rack with panniers on the rear. So I am just wondering if I will be able to set this up on any kind of road bike? I know next to nothing about road bikes/touring but am ready for an adventure.
Please excuse my ignorance but any help is appreciated.
PS, If anyone is selling a bike that would suit my purpose in the brisbane area let me know!
xander90

by BNA » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:20 pm

BNA

Re: Road bike for touring: what to look for?

Postby iacl » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:20 pm

You can get a new touring bike for +/- $1000 i.e. Fuji Tourer http://australia.fujibikes.com/bike/details/touring . Not really sure if you can get one in Brisbane though. Just a thought.
2012 VWR : )
iacl

Postby GregLR » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:36 pm

xander90 wrote:...it is difficult to come by second hand touring bikes so am thinking of buying a second hand road bike. I will be travelling light, probably set up a rack with panniers on the rear. So I am just wondering if I will be able to set this up on any kind of road bike?

It will be difficult, though not impossible, to find a road bike that has the mountings to enable a pannnier rack to be fitted. Rack mounts built into the frame are one of the things that distinguish a road touring bike from a road bike, along with: relaxed frame geometry; comfortable rider position (eg smaller or no drop from the saddle to the handlebars, producing a less bent over position); wider tyres; longer chainstays (allowing heel clearance for panniers); robust frame (usually cromoly steel for a touring bike but some are made with aluminium); much lower gears, achieved with a triple crankset, wide range cassette of sprockets and a long arm rear derailleur (to make it easier to get up hills, especially when loaded); cantilever brakes, V-brakes or disc brakes (to facilitate reliable braking when loaded, as well as providing clearance for wider tyres); etc.

So the Fuji touring bike linked by iacl looks ideal at the price point you mentioned.

Greg
GregLR

Postby Konatourer » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:04 pm

Why don't you consider setting up a 29er mountain bike as a tourer? I have fitted mine with road pattern tyres and a rack. I have also put a shorter handlebar stem on to give a more upright sitting position. Several months ago I rode it around Kangaroo Island.
Konatourer

Postby xander90 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:44 pm

thanks a lot guys. That Fuji bike does look like it ticks most of my boxes. I'll have to look into trying to find one in Brisbane.
xander90

Postby maxknott » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:32 am

some of the older giant mountain bikes get used as tourers, sedona is one that comes to mind,they are steel frames with point for mounting racks.
try ebay or gumtree,probably stretch your bugdet a lot further this way
maxknott

Postby xander90 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:50 am

Think I will stick with the Fuji as I'd like to have a road bike for shorter rides as well. One question with regards to sizing that hopefully someone can help me out with. I can't find any stores in my area that stock the Fuji tourer so am unable to test ride one for size. I am 169cm tall and have an inseam measurement of 78cm. The fuji only comes in sizes of 49cm and 54cm. Which do you think would be best suited to me?
xander90

Return to Touring Bikes and Equipment