Front Pannier Racks

Re: Front Pannier Racks

Postby il padrone » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:41 am

WOW! Buy from bike24. they have cheaper rates than that I'm sure, and the German post may be a bit slow but certainly far quicker than 3 months of ocean cruise (try 2-3 weeks) and for about the same price - the VAT removal usually pays for the shipping, or more.

Yes, Sportpacker bags are the go - easier to use, flap is handy to secure quick-access or dampish items, and the capacity is a good bit larger (40L versus 30L for the roll-tops).
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

by BNA » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:50 am

BNA

Postby Espresso_ » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:50 am

il padrone wrote:WOW! Buy from bike24. they have cheaper rates than that I'm sure, and the German post may be a bit slow but certainly far quicker than 3 months of ocean cruise (try 2-3 weeks) and for about the same price - the VAT removal usually pays for the shipping, or more.

Maybe I was unclear - I was talking about the cost of shipping the defective panniers TO the UK (ie to return them). These are AusPost prices...I guess I didn't really shop around much.

il padrone wrote:Yes, Sportpacker bags are the go - easier to use, flap is handy to secure quick-access or dampish items, and the capacity is a good bit larger (40L versus 30L for the roll-tops).

Thanks - good to hear you think this is a good move. I'm going for the front panniers again (so, smaller), but same general points apply.

E
Espresso_

Postby TouringPhil » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:04 am

Yes, the sport packer closures far superior. I first purchased the roll top Ortlieb bags, sent them back after they arrived, I did not like them, particularly for the front pannier bags. Purchased mine from Pushys, no problems swapping them for the sport packer and the rear bags with the same closure.

So much easier and quicker to get to your gear.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
TouringPhil

Postby pbekkerh » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:56 am

Hello
I You have problems getting stuff sent from Germany, I have had good experience using these package forwarders in Germany. I've used them 4 times with no problems, but can't give any guarantee of course but I don't know if you save the VAT that way. (I didn't try, as I'm in the EU)

mailboxde.com
pbekkerh

Postby Andy » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:47 am

The Pushy's price is pretty good and local warranty is a bonus.

I bought the roll tops secondhand years ago before ortlieb was available easily in Aus and one aspect I like about them is I can keep all my food in them and seal them up from ants etc. I sometimes wish they were larger but it's not often. I may put the outer pockets on them if I want more room. The straps usually live in the bottom and I roll the top and strap it down. Very simple.
Andy

Postby TouringPhil » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:55 am

I find Pushy's are great. I've purchased a lot of gear from them in the past month setting up my Touring Bike.
Excellent customer support on the phone and great prices, particularly for a Australian seller. Often the prices match or better overseas prices.

In regards to the Ortlieb Bags, I found the rear roll top was very good. But I wanted Red rear panniers to match my front panniers as the Roll tops where Hazel and Black, I exchanged for the Red Bike-Packer Plus and I'm very happy with them, Love the extra pockets, and I figure red will be a safer color to use on the road. (easier for drivers to see me). The front Sport-Packer Plus are brilliant.
TouringPhil

Front Pannier Racks

Postby Espresso_ » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:08 am

Espresso_ wrote:
Despite the quality issues with the first set, I'm sticking with Ortlieb and getting the Sport Packer Plus versions this time (not the roll-top version) on the basis of advice from Aushiker and others on here.

I might even buy them from Pushy's ...

E

So I picked up a replacement set of the Sport Packer Plus panniers today from Abbotsford Cycles. They cost me only $150 compared to $175+ from many online stores including Pushy's.

Only the black versions were available for that price but I can live with that.

Obviously the shipping time /cost and warranty were not an issue. Long live the local bike store?

PS great range (ie all) of Revelate gear in stock too. I wasn't well enough to ride there, so I may need to wait till next weekend to size up a frame and/or seat bag.

E
Espresso_

Previous

Return to Touring Bikes and Equipment