This tent is made for camping...

johnfordau

Re: This tent is made for camping...

Postby johnfordau » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:00 am

RonK wrote:
Aushiker wrote: For the fair-weather cyclist who jumps on a bus and heads home at the first sign of rain it's probably adequate.
Condescending of you .. but no .. a cheap tent will keep off rain .. really heavy rain in fact .. but if the rain set in for a day or two .. jumping on a base I would have thought was a logical option ..

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:31 am

johnfordau I guess what sets us all apart is how we do our touring and the gear we lug along plus the tactics we employ when conditions change. When I first started out I too used back then cheap gear it did the job and gave me the enjoyment I was after but it was the stepping stone to learning which lead me to making purchase decisions with the coin I had available. It's the little things like that $12.00 tent won't keep the fine dust out of your sleeping space but that upgraded tent will. These little things that make each of our experience different and while that $12 tent may have been part of my touring inventory years ago getting out there in all conditions my needs have now changed and keep changing as gear evolves but having a little more coin now helps with that.

Ricky

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:48 am

Yep. This FW has never toured in Australia... what buses?
Don't feed the troll.

avolve

Postby avolve » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:21 pm

A number of us tour — by choice — away from motels, buses and other 'fall back' options. That is what we find ejoyable about routing: being away.

Other's tour on limited budgets where suitable gear is (still) essetial (i.e. a motel is out of the question).

Coutnering the notion that a $$$ tent/jacket/etc is what touring about is valid. However, it is (more) presumptious — alongside being unsafe — to assume and promote people travel into potentially unsafe situations with equipment that is not up to minimum standards.

Safety is paramount, and comfort is also something to aim towards.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:30 am

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:58 am

johnfordau wrote:
Tim wrote:It's a great pity you've introduced yourself to these pages in such a poor fashion.
There is a wealth of hard-earned genuine experience and advise available here.
To suggest (in a different thread) that no jacket and a $12.00 tent is adequate for touring in anything but the most favourable of conditions is foolish and potentially dangerous.
.. foolish .. dangerous .. who says .. touring is suppose to be fun not a test of endurance .. as I have indicated the best place of safety when this go pear-shape is the nearest motel ..
Sometimes the really best fun comes from getting well away from the fall-back of a motel. For sure, if the weather craps out and you're near a town, use the motel, YHA, cabin, or pub. But often a tour (for lots of "fun") may be into the mountains, the deep forests, or the outback. Then is when the more durable, better designed gear matters.... maybe even enables you to continue to have fun, where the cheap gear will demand an inglorious retreat.

I began my touring many years ago in the 70s with a cheap Kmart tent. But they cost $30 back then :o That tent soon showed up its flaws and failings. Not in any dangerous way, 'cos I was not going out too remote. But most certainly, the tent was not fun in any strong wind, heavy rain, nor on humid or dewy nights.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue May 17, 2016 10:31 pm

Section Hiker has a state of the market summary post on lightweight tents with inners. Nice resource for research purposes.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Thu May 19, 2016 10:51 pm

I'm at a loss in my search for a new tent.

So far I have been focused primarily on weight, as I currently have an OzTrail Backpacker 1 person tent which weighs about 2.5kg. I have had this tent for over 15 years, since I did Duke of Ed hiking.

I don't have enough confidence to even attempt a tarp and groundsheet setup at this stage. I am planning out a 4 day ride over the Melbourne Cup long weekend, and any riding that I do would likely be similar in terms of climate - 3 season, not too cold.

I think I would want a 2p tent, if only because that means I will actually be able to fit.

I don't know what I need in terms of tent material - I have been looking at the Nemo Hornet 2P, however after having seen one in Paddy Pallin, I am more than a bit wary about the strength of the material - 15D (or 20D, depending on source: Paddy Pallin Nemo Website) Nylon Ripstop, 1200mm.

My main reason for a tent over an alternative shelter is water resistance - having camped in the Blue Mountains and experienced heavy rain, I am wary of not having a bathtub floor.

I have seen a little bit on TarpTents, but not enough to really judge.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu May 19, 2016 11:11 pm

Go back to my first post - the start of this whole thread :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 19, 2016 11:55 pm

Massdrop have for once a genuine ultralight shelter on offer in their ultralight community ... the Zpacks Duplexpotentially for US$559.99 + $35 shipping. For bicycle touring use poles would also need to be purchased.

These two person shelters weigh in at around 600 grams plus poles and stakes.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri May 20, 2016 8:12 am

nezumi wrote:I don't know what I need in terms of tent material - I have been looking at the Nemo Hornet 2P, however after having seen one in Paddy Pallin, I am more than a bit wary about the strength of the material - 15D (or 20D, depending on source: ) Nylon Ripstop, 1200mm.
Modern lightweight fabrics are quite strong. There little point comparing them to your 15yo OzTrail.

But the old aphorism "light, cheap, strong - pick any two" still holds. A tent that is light and strong will not be cheap.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 20, 2016 10:03 am

RonK wrote:But the old aphorism "light, cheap, strong - pick any two" still holds. A tent that is light and strong will not be cheap.
Without a doubt. There is an inverse relationship between weight and price :(

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Fri May 20, 2016 8:52 pm

RonK wrote:
nezumi wrote:I don't know what I need in terms of tent material - I have been looking at the Nemo Hornet 2P, however after having seen one in Paddy Pallin, I am more than a bit wary about the strength of the material - 15D (or 20D, depending on source: ) Nylon Ripstop, 1200mm.
Modern lightweight fabrics are quite strong. There little point comparing them to your 15yo OzTrail.

But the old aphorism "light, cheap, strong - pick any two" still holds. A tent that is light and strong will not be cheap.
More comparing the Hornet to the Dagger, which they also had on display. I think I would favour a freestanding tent over one that *needs* to be guyed out.

I'm mostly apprehensive because I really don't know what use I will put the tent to, or what I should be looking for, other than the weight.

I may well try hiring one from Bogong to have a go with a good tent before committing to buying something.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri May 20, 2016 9:18 pm

nezumi wrote:
RonK wrote:

More comparing the Hornet to the Dagger, which they also had on display. I think I would favour a freestanding tent over one that *needs* to be guyed out.

I'm mostly apprehensive because I really don't know what use I will put the tent to, or what I should be looking for, other than the weight.

I may well try hiring one from Bogong to have a go with a good tent before committing to buying something.
Finding the right tent is a journey...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri May 20, 2016 9:42 pm

nezumi wrote:More comparing the Hornet to the Dagger, which they also had on display. I think I would favour a freestanding tent over one that *needs* to be guyed out.

I bought the Macpac Celeste in 1996, a Wilderness Equipment Second Arrow in 1999, the Exped Vela 1 in 2009, and an Exped Venus II in 2011.

None of them are freestanding. Each time I had a momentary fear about the trials and restrictions this might place me in, with campsite choice restrictions. I had a freestanding dome tent (cheapie) in the 80s. In the twenty years of camping since the purchase of the Celeste I have had barely a single situation* where I have been restricted in site choice, or unable to pitch the tent.

*There was one situation pitching the tent in the rock-solid car-park of the Bealiba Hotel. We took a room instead; my son pitched his (non-freestanding) tent in the car-park using some bricks. Once in twenty years is not too bad.

Freestanding capability can be a bit over-rated.
Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat May 21, 2016 1:16 pm

Flying tent anyone? Apparently it is a Kickstarter project ... reason enough alone for me to run to the hills :)

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Sat May 21, 2016 7:55 pm

I decided to set up the tent and do a test run in the backyard tonight to see how it goes for temp, so here's some pics:
Front
Back

Can actually fit sleeping mat and sleeping bag side-by-side

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat May 21, 2016 8:36 pm

Nezumi that is something I always do and that is buy a 2 man tent even though it's just me I'm one that enjoys the ability to move around in a tent freely. Having space to lay things out and be comfortable is more important than weight so I always sleep in the middle with room either side of me. I also like long tents that allows you to have you feet point upwards while in your bag and the bag doesn't push on the tents fabric along with your head resting on the pillow not touching fabric. Enjoy your night and test sleep looks like that tent would suit my needs as well.

Ricky

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat May 21, 2016 9:23 pm

So did you buy the Nemo Hornet or hire it?

It is impressively light and looks roomy, but I'm not a fan of hubbed tent-poles.

Howeve, noting that you are buying bikepacking bags - it is 19 inches long packed, sonot very practical for bikepacking if that is your intention. But perhaps you could carry the pole separately and compress the tent into a smaller bag.

Paddy's price is outrageous - I certainly would not be buying from there.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Sat May 21, 2016 10:09 pm

RonK wrote:So did you buy the Nemo Hornet or hire it?

It is impressively light and looks roomy, but I'm not a fan of hubbed tent-poles.

Howeve, noting that you are buying bikepacking bags - it is 19 inches long packed, sonot very practical for bikepacking if that is your intention. But perhaps you could carry the pole separately and compress the tent into a smaller bag.

Paddy's price is outrageous - I certainly would not be buying from there.
Neither yet - that's my 15 year old 2.5Kg OzTrail Backpacker 2V :D

One thing that is interesting with the Nemo tents is that the bags are designed for a split load - they have a second drawstring lower down to compress the tent and fly if you remove the poles.

I have plenty of time before I need to pull the pin on a tent, if indeed I do buy a new one - main plotting is for a 4-day trip in November, taking advantage of the Melbourne Cup long weekend (although may use the AFL Grand Final public holiday to the same end).

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon May 23, 2016 10:05 pm

RonK wrote:So did you buy the Nemo Hornet or hire it?

Section Hiker has a review on the Nemo Hornet 2P. At 860+ grams it is probably too heavy for me but still there is space there.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Tue May 24, 2016 8:26 pm

Aushiker wrote:At 860+ grams it is probably too heavy for me
:shock: We have very different perspectives on what constitutes a heavy shelter. :P

As I said, I have no experience with other shelter types (tarps/bivvies/hammocks), so I am looking for a tent of one form or another (I am considering a TarpTent also), which means a bit more weight.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue May 24, 2016 9:26 pm

nezumi wrote: :shock: We have very different perspectives on what constitutes a heavy shelter. :P

As I said, I have no experience with other shelter types (tarps/bivvies/hammocks), so I am looking for a tent of one form or another (I am considering a TarpTent also), which means a bit more weight.
Just becareful with the weight figures. It does not include stakes or stuff sack. My other concern with this tent in particular is that it appears to not pitch outer first or inner/outer together. That is a deal breaker for me; nothing worse that trying to pitch in the rain when you have to put the inner up first.

I have a Tarptent Scarp 1 ... really spacious tent; excellent quality and if it was not for its packed size/weight would still be my tent of choice.

m@

Postby m@ » Thu May 26, 2016 3:56 pm

nezumi wrote:I'm at a loss in my search for a new tent.
There's lots to consider... you probably need to have a think about what your requirements and priorities are, set a budget and do some research on what's available. FWIW, within reason, packed size and especially length would be more important to me than very low weight for bikepacking, where the bike is carrying the weight. But if you'll also use the tent hiking, weight might be more important.
nezumi wrote:I have seen a little bit on TarpTents, but not enough to really judge.
I can probably help a bit there...

When I was buying, the high $AUD made Tarptents very good value, and the Scarp 1 stood out in its class in terms of weight and internal size - particularly maximum height and usable floor area.

Size-wise the Scarp 1 is huge for one person and overkill really - but a good all-round tent for year-round solo hiking (which is partly what I originally bought it for) and suitable for a couple or as an emergency shelter for two. Like scorpion I appreciate having space to move around, get dressed, sort out kit etc., and the dual entries and vestibules are also handy.

The Scarp is a dual-wall tent which makes it flexible for year-round use... though I was wishing for more ventilation riding the Goldfields track last summer. A single-wall shelter will likely be fine for 3-season use, but you might find yourself carrying more weight and bulk in the form of sleeping bag and mat etc. when it's cooler. If buying purely for bikepacking now, personally I'd probably go for something slightly smaller and more 'packable'. FWIW the tent is also free-standing with two additional poles; I have these but have never used them (that might change this winter).

For bikepacking, I have to strap the tent to the top-tube as the corner struts mean it's too long to go in a saddlebag. On the CX bike it can go inside the main triangle, on the MTB it has to go on top of the tube. This works OK since I got the technique right to keep it strapped tight where it's closest to my knees so rubbing is kept to a minimum. Dealing with the pole is actually more hassle than the tent itself as it's slightly too long to fit between the seatpost and stem on my bikes - I either slip it under the straps on top of the tent, slightly diagonally, or strap to the side of my backpack.

Bivvies are emergency shelters only for me (only vampires should sleep in coffins), and free tarp solutions are a bit much mucking around in Aus where we have to deal with creepy crawlies and humidity IMO. If the bike's carrying the weight I don't see much argument against a proper tent. Flame suit on... ;)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 27, 2016 12:19 pm

m@ wrote: When I was buying, the high $AUD made Tarptents very good value, and the Scarp 1 stood out in its class in terms of weight and internal size - particularly maximum height and usable floor area.

Size-wise the Scarp 1 is huge for one person and overkill really - but a good all-round tent for year-round solo hiking (which is partly what I originally bought it for) and suitable for a couple or as an emergency shelter for two. Like scorpion I appreciate having space to move around, get dressed, sort out kit etc., and the dual entries and vestibules are also handy.
+ 1 I am only replacing mine as I want something lighter and compact when packed for bikepacking purposes. Otherwise I would stick with my Scarp 1.