This tent is made for camping...

Aushiker

Re: This tent is made for camping...

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 27, 2016 12:23 pm

Massdrop are offering a few Terra Nova Laser Competition or Photon 1P & 2P tents. Terra Nova seem to have a good wrap particularly for their weight (but maybe check the dimensions) but you should as always research the pricing if interested as sometimes Massdrop is not such a great deal.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri May 27, 2016 12:57 pm

m@ wrote:For bikepacking, I have to strap the tent to the top-tube as the corner struts mean it's too long to go in a saddlebag. On the CX bike it can go inside the main triangle, on the MTB it has to go on top of the tube.
I had this issue with the Moment DW. The struts are not easily removed, making the packed tent 19 inches long.

It has been replaced with a Protrail, which fits nicely in a BBD Anything bag to carry on an Anything cage.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Fri May 27, 2016 3:10 pm

Have you tested the ProTrail with the supplemental poles yet? I saw some reviews that the tent is really designed for hiking poles, so the supplemental poles don't hold the tent that taught.

I am giving some consideration to the Rainbow: https://www.tarptent.com/rainbow.html

As I mentioned before, the bag for the Nemo tent has a dual stage stuff sac, so the main size issue is the pole sections: Image
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri May 27, 2016 4:11 pm

nezumi wrote:Have you tested the ProTrail with the supplemental poles yet? I saw some reviews that the tent is really designed for hiking poles, so the supplemental poles don't hold the tent that taught.
Yes, I have tested it and have no problem achieving a taut pitch.

Looking at the reviews it's the other way round - the problem occurs because the trekking poles have not been set to the correct length.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Fri May 27, 2016 4:25 pm

Good to hear :D
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:59 am

Very impressed by this Nordisk Telemark ULW 2 I spotted recently.

A two pp tent that weights less than 1kg. The packed size is fairly small at 41cm x 12cm, and the corner struts are removable so it could be packed even smaller by carrying the poles separately.

Very tempting. Anyone interested in my brand new, never used Tarptent Protrail? :lol:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:07 pm

How does the usable interior compare to your Protrail Ron? One thing to be light; another thing to sleep in a coffin.

grantw

Postby grantw » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:17 pm

Looks like a Hilleberg Akto, only lighter (and I guess a lot less robust). A roomy, sub 1kg, 2 person tent though...Tempting...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:21 pm

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ ... -2-lw-i805

That the fly comes right to the ground has me wondering about condensation.

" I really like the fact that the flysheet pitches right to the ground giving maximum protection against the weather,"
"I experienced no condensation on the nights I used the tent"

I dont notice any view of venting. :|

Love the green in the review.

And another:

https://blogpackinglight.wordpress.com/ ... er-review/

Ahhh!

"There’s a large netted vent above the door zip for ventilation, and a small magnet at the base of the fly door helps keep it shut when you batten down the hatches."

There appears to be at least two varieties of the tent

http://2015mds.blogspot.com.au/2014/09/ ... -tent.html

"There are two varieties of the tent available; the Nordisk Telemark 2 LW and the Nordisk Telemark 2 ULW. The ULW (Ultra light weight) comes with carbon fibre poles and weighs in according to the Nordisk Website at 880g. The LW (light weight) which I bought, uses aluminium poles and weighs in on the website at 950g. On my own weighing scales it came at a total of 1053g, though this includes the wind anchor kit (extra guy ropes and two extra pegs) which came free with the tent when I bought it"
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:03 pm

Aushiker wrote:How does the usable interior compare to your Protrail Ron? One thing to be light; another thing to sleep in a coffin.
Hard to compare directly because the floor shapes are different, but I think the Nordisk would have more floor area and more internal volume than the Protrail, so doubt it would be coffin-like. It's close to the same weight, dual-skinned and single pitch.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:19 pm

RonK wrote:
Aushiker wrote:How does the usable interior compare to your Protrail Ron? One thing to be light; another thing to sleep in a coffin.
Hard to compare directly because the floor shapes are different, but I think the Nordisk would have more floor area and more internal volume than the Protrail, so doubt it would be coffin-like. It's close to the same weight, dual-skinned and single pitch.
Out of the meeting now so can look up some more details :)

The sit-up height is only 100 cm in the Nordisk. The usable length is not given, but the overall inside length is given as 220 cm.

Your Protrail is 107cm wide, 213 cm in length and 112 cm in height. It is basically a rectangle shapped floor which I believe provides more usable space subject to pitch of course.

From what I can see the weight "saving" in the Nordisk does appear to come at a cost of size and a noticeable reduction in usable height.

I guess it comes down to one's body length, but for me at least at ~ 177 cm, I would be sticking to the Protrail. The lost of usable interior space is not worth the switch and brushing my head against the roof of the tent (and probably the ends as well) would annoy me on end.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:06 pm

Aushiker wrote:The sit-up height is only 100 cm in the Nordisk. The usable length is not given, but the overall inside length is given as 220 cm.

Your Protrail is 107cm wide, 213 cm in length and 112 cm in height. It is basically a rectangle shapped floor which I believe provides more usable space subject to pitch of course.

From what I can see the weight "saving" in the Nordisk does appear to come at a cost of size and a noticeable reduction in usable height.

I guess it comes down to one's body length, but for me at least at ~ 177 cm, I would be sticking to the Protrail. The lost of usable interior space is not worth the switch and brushing my head against the roof of the tent (and probably the ends as well) would annoy me on end.
Smoke and mirrors. The Protrail is a ridge tent, so that much head height is only available at the very highest point, and at that point there is also a pole to contend with. The steeply angled side walls also encroach on the usable space. Odds are you would be making greater head contact with the fly or the pole in the Protrail. Since the Nordisk is double skinned contact would be with the inner tent not the fly and there is no pole.

The Nordisk is I suppose what you would call a hybrid tunnel/dome tent and although a little lower will likely have more usable headroom. Pretty much all the interior space would be usable as I am informed that the (removable) corner struts are 27cm long.

Actually the Nordisk is much closer in design and more validly compared with the Tarptent Scarp, albeit a little smaller and nearly 1kg lighter than the Scarp2 and a little bigger and around 0.5kg lighter than the Scarp1.

Compared to my previous tent - the Hilleberg Soulo, it is higher, wider and longer - as you would expect for a 2pp vs a 1PP tent. Given that I found the Soulo comfortable in both length and head height, the Nordisk would feel more spacious. It is also nearly 2kg lighter and packs significantly smaller than the Soulo.

There is no weight saving, with little difference between the weight of the Protrail vs Nordisk. There is however a significant difference in the price.

I would choose the Nordisk over the Protrail to have a double skinned single-pitch tent with plenty of room for one person and no penalty in either weigh or packed size. Will I choose it? Well , that remains to be decided. :wink:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:13 am

Not for me but this might appeal to some: Massdrop have Black Diamond's HiLight Tent as a drop ... looking at AU$391 or thereabouts for a four season shelter which is missing a vestibule.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:53 am

Massdrop have the Terra Nova Laser Ultra 1P as a drop at a nice friendly potential price of $938 delivered. That is even more expensive than the likes of a Zpacks Duplex and it weighs more :)

TonyB

Postby TonyB » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:33 pm

I have been using my little Zpacks Hexamid tent for around 5-6 years, my Hexamid is a first generation Hexamid without the beak. I use this tent for three season bushwalking and off road MTB touring. The weight all up including tent pole, ground sheet, pegs and door is 488g, the tent packs away quite small and fits nicely into my seat bag.

Tony

Hexamid at the base of Mt Jagungal looking back at Table Top Mt

Back of Hexamid looking toward Mt Jagungal

All packed away

First trip with Hexamid, sunrise camped at 2100 meters at base of North Rams Head

uad782

Postby uad782 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:28 pm

Does anyone have any trouts on the Macpac solo light? I have an Olympus which is bomb proof. It did get a rip many years ago and was repaired under warranty no questions asked so service of Macpac is good too

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:05 am

TonyB wrote:I have been using my little Zpacks Hexamid tent for around 5-6 years, my Hexamid is a first generation Hexamid without the beak. I use this tent for three season bushwalking and off road MTB touring. The weight all up including tent pole, ground sheet, pegs and door is 488g, the tent packs away quite small and fits nicely into my seat bag.
Nice to see a Zpack's user here. I am about to pull the pin on either a Altaplex or a Duplex.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:54 am

Aushiker wrote:Nice to see a Zpack's user here. I am about to pull the pin on either a Altaplex or a Duplex.
A tent with an partial insect mesh, and a fly/tarp which "drains condensation outside the floor" ?? No thanks.

Don't plan on touring NZ and having a pleasant night's sleep in NZ (sandflies) :o Or many parts of the Aussie bush (mozzies).
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:40 am

il padrone wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Nice to see a Zpack's user here. I am about to pull the pin on either a Altaplex or a Duplex.
A tent with an partial insect mesh, and a fly/tarp which "drains condensation outside the floor" ?? No thanks.

Don't plan on touring NZ and having a pleasant night's sleep in NZ (sandflies) :o Or many parts of the Aussie bush (mozzies).
Source: HikeLighter.com

Yes it is partial because the shelter is singled walled. That however does not mean the shelter is not fully enclosed; it is as the netting is fully attached to the fly and of course to the 8" walled tub floor. What this means is that in fact both the Altaplex and the Duplex are fully enclosed shelters in the mode being considered.

That said once again if you do some research you find that there are even lighter alternatives and solutions to dealing with insects including using lightweight bivvys in combination with the tarp, e.g., like is possible with TonyB's setup and surprise surprise they do work for others. Whilst I did consider this option I have decided it is not an approach that will work for me, but that is okay. Each to their own style of camping.

Insects/bugs are not unique to Australia or NZ as I am sure you know or should know, so I find it rather odd that you would make such a comment ... I would have thought it was obvious that such issues would be taken into consideration by users throughout the world including Joe Valesko the highly respected by all accounts bloke behind Zpacks and funny it has ...

As to the condensation issue. I don't have an issue with the condensation actually draining outside the shelter because if it ever gets so bad, it is much better this happening than having drip down on one in the shelter, well that is in my experience at least. I have yet to experience a double walled shelter or a singled walled shelter that does not get some condensation issues at times so an attempt to address this is a good thing in my view. YMMV of course. Also with the Duplex in particular, its design allows for quite a bit of ventilation even in pretty bad weather so as to reduce the possibility of condensation.

So in summary having extensively researched my options including playing with one of the alternative options, a MLD Duomid with a SOLO Innernet and I have narrowed down my options to these two shelters given my criteria which BTW includes camping in the Australian bush. Funny that; I guess that has something to do with living in Australia :wink:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:20 pm

Sorry, just the 'grumpy ol' man' in me talking ;) :mrgreen:

I looked at the photos and it seemed like the tub floor was not attached to the tent/fly at the ground - just supported by some ties. This would allow bugs and mozzies in I'd have thought ?? Certainly I would not choose to carry a tent and then use a bivvy bag as well to get insect cover :? :|

Regarding condensation, yes my tent occasionally gets condensation (dramatically reduced by use of a good tent footprint for the whole floor, including vestibule). If it does drip it is only minor, and mostly drips onto the inner tent where it is absorbed and later dries out. I almost never have any drops dripping inside.

Just not my way and experience, personally. That's all.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:42 pm

il padrone wrote:I looked at the photos and it seemed like the tub floor was not attached to the tent/fly at the ground - just supported by some ties.
As I understand it (I need to double check my understanding) the ties are there to help keep the 8" walls of the floor vertical as the floor is attached to the shelter wall with mesh. Add to this you can adjust the pitch height by lowering the poles so again having the ability to tension the floor is desirable.
Certainly I would not choose to carry a tent and then use a bivvy bag as well to get insect cover :? :|
What I was referring to is the option to purchase either of these in tarp mode, i.e., floorless, a bit like TonyD's Hexamid. In such cases in bug territory you will need a bivvy or headnet. I am choosing the full shelter configuration.

MLD with their Duomid and Solomid for example deal with the bug issue by offering the shelter with a bugnet edging but still floorless. By all accounts this works very well and provides a fairly lightweight option. Of course one has to be comfortable with camping floorless like Tony appears to do. I am not that comfortable and hence if I added in a ultralight bivy I am back up closer to the Zpack weights anyway. Mind you you with a MLD Duomid or the like can get more flexibility in your shelter configuration for the conditions to be expected: tarp only, bivy, groundsheet or Innernet.
Regarding condensation, yes my tent occasionally gets condensation (dramatically reduced by use of a good tent footprint for the whole floor, including vestibule). If it does drip it is only minor, and mostly drips onto the inner tent where it is absorbed and later dries out. I almost never have any drops dripping inside.
With a double wall and the associated weight you do for sure get good separation and less condensation problems. That said I have previously owned a MSR single wall tent and used it in WA and the NT without any noticeable issues with condensation and it did not have great ventilation so I am not overly concerned.

With the Duplex I am looking at around 663 grams for a two person shelter in bicycle touring mode and in bushwalking mode 570 grams as I walk with trekking poles. That is a weight saving I can live with in returning for a little more involved way of dealing with possible condensation on some occasions :). The Altaplex is lighter again for one person shelter with some space.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:29 pm

Aushiker wrote:As I understand it (I need to double check my understanding) the ties are there to help keep the 8" walls of the floor vertical as the floor is attached to the shelter wall with mesh. Add to this you can adjust the pitch height by lowering the poles so again having the ability to tension the floor is desirable.
I was wrong. They are at each end to allow for headroom adjustment. Jump to ~ 8m 53 seconds for a brief mention.

and Red Beard and his tent post seven months on the AT.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:16 am

Just because you can ....

Available at Massdrop for a princely sum of AU$328 delivered.