Portable fuel cell users butane to charge

Portable fuel cell users butane to charge

Postby Aushiker » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:01 pm

I just became aware of this product in the development stage. Looks interesting.

In a deal announced this week [May 2012], American high-end retailer Brookstone will become the first seller of a portable fuel cell made by MIT spin-off company Lilliputian Systems Inc (LSI). Described as a “plug-less charger,” it will allow users to recharge their electronic devices’ batteries wherever they are – as long as they’ve stocked up on butane.

A CNET report states that the device is about the size of a thick smartphone, and that it uniquely features a solid oxide fuel cell membrane deposited onto a silicon wafer. It generates power using recyclable butane cartridges, which are around the size of a cigarette lighter. According to LSI, one of those cartridges should provide “several weeks of ‘always available’ Personal Power” – this is reportedly five to ten times longer than the run times offered by similarly-sized batteries. CNET adds that the fuel cell should be able to recharge an iPhone 4 a total of 10 to 14 times on one cartridge.

More details at Gizmag.

I initially thought it might be rechargeable but I do wonder now if it is a throw-away device. Anyone have more details?

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

by BNA » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:29 pm

BNA

Re: Portable fuel cell users butane to charge

Postby Riggsbie » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:29 pm

That sounds awesome......

I wonder what the price tag will be ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Riggsbie

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:08 am

Aushiker wrote:I initially thought it might be rechargeable but I do wonder now if it is a throw-away device. Anyone have more details?

Andrew

Best comparison I can come up with is kinda like a Co2 kit. The The head, cylinder sleeve is reusable, the Co2 cylinder is single use. A small, single use butane cylinder (size of a cigarette lighter according the the info you provided) is used to fuel the device, when its spent, recycle it and whack in a new one.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby wqlava1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:19 am

They would need to be very standard gas cylinders with wide availability - you won't be able to take them on the plane, and maybe/probably not the fuel cell device when charged.
2014 goal 52000m
wqlava1

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:35 pm

wqlava1 wrote:They would need to be very standard gas cylinders with wide availability - you won't be able to take them on the plane, and maybe/probably not the fuel cell device when charged.

Additionally, it has been approved by the UN International Civil Aviation Organization and the U.S. Department of Transportation as an acceptable carry-on luggage item

This statement suggests otherwise.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Return to Touring Bikes and Equipment