Camping Gear Specials

rifraf

Re: Camping Gear Specials

Postby rifraf » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:54 am

RonK wrote:Last night I snagged an award winning Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer down jacket on Massdrop at half price. Unfortunately you are too late if you wanted one - the drop has closed now.

But it sold out soooo quickly - you could probably start another poll.

Well spotted RonK,
You've been thinking of one of those for a while.
I've not come across mass drop.com before so please keep us updated on your journey with them
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:18 am

RonK wrote:Last night I snagged an award winning Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer down jacket on Massdrop at half price. Unfortunately you are too late if you wanted one - the drop has closed now.
Done and thanks for the heads-up on Massdrop. Haven't heard of it. Oh if anyone else is interested there needs to 200 interested persons; currently at 67.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:55 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Done and thanks for the heads-up on Massdrop. Haven't heard of it. Oh if anyone else is interested there needs to 200 interested persons; currently at 67.
You're welcome. If the poll succeeds get in quick to order your size. The last sold out very quickly and there were a lot of disappointed comments.

I heard about this on bushwalk.com where there has been quite some discussion about it.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:10 pm

For those whose budget is a little stricter but who want something warm perhaps of interest might be:

https://www.catchoftheday.com.au/event/ ... en-352833/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Patagonia Men's Down Sweater Vest - Malachite Green

Materials:
100% polyester lining
90% minimum goose down, 10% other fibre
100% Traceable Down insulation (800-fill-power goose down)
Machine washable
Country of origin: Vietnam

Almost a disposable at $50.0 compared to many brands

Or theres the Patagonia Men's Down Shirt - Cochineal Red

https://www.catchoftheday.com.au/event/ ... ed-357510/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$59.99

or for an extra $10 there is the warmer:

Patagonia Men's Down Sweater - Cochineal Red

https://www.catchoftheday.com.au/event/ ... ed-357504/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In fact there is loads of other down and fleece gear well worth a squiz in my opinion and there is plenty of stuff for the women too.

I've linked to mens wear as that was what I was personally gawking at.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:01 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Just a quick heads-up. There are now over 200 interested persons registered so another drop is likely. The first sold out very quickly so if you want one be quick.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:50 am

Looks to be an impressively light jacket RonK.
Having passed my Macpac Sundowner XP on to my father in NZ, I could probably be tempted.
Macpacs Supernova is a little heavier (310g) and I'd been thinking about getting it but the price was putting me off.
The Massdrop Ghost Whisperers (212g) weight and last price sure makes for a compelling sale-spitch.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:31 am

rifraf wrote:Looks to be an impressively light jacket RonK.
Having passed my Macpac Sundowner XP on to my father in NZ, I could probably be tempted.
Macpacs Supernova is a little heavier (310g) and I'd been thinking about getting it but the price was putting me off.
The Massdrop Ghost Whisperers (212g) weight and last price sure makes for a compelling sale-spitch.
Yeah, for its weight, small packed volume and warmth, plus it is shower-resistant but also not too bulky to wear under a shell, it should be perfect for my bikepacking kit. And at the price...why not?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:03 pm

On the subject of the Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer down jacket, MoonTrail in the US have limited men's sizes going out at US$198 plus shipping.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:10 pm

Another option for those seeking down jackets is the Polish brand, Cumulus. I have on my short list a the Cumulus Prestige GL (no hood) which weighs in at 190g for the medium and the cost is approximately $AU200 delivered to Australia (tax taken off).

It packs down to a bundle that fits in your hand/ 0.8 litre stuff sack.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:10 pm

Well I did a whirl of the Perth camping shops in the CBD today to check out possible jackets/sweaters of the down persuasion to possibly take the place of some fleece or Merino in a smaller package inside my panniers.

I didn't see a Ghost Whisperer but I did see the Marmot Quasar and other light weight offerings from the usual suspects. 8)

I also went to Macpac and think that having seen their down jackets/sweaters too, that I'm not yet sold on the idea of a down top to take the place of a fleece/merino mid-layer yet, despite being more than impressed with their packdown size.
This is mostly because I think they will simply be too warm (sweat inducing) and I really don't like the idea of what a regular hand wash is likely to do to the down fill.

I did try on a Macpac "Uberlight" vest but the large "fit" is for someone a little slimmer than me.
The Supernova was a much better fit in L for me but felt more like a worthy lightweight substitute for my Sundowner XP.
I couldnt be sold on it as a mid layer at all which was what my search was all about.
It certainly didn't help my possible purchase decision that they had done away with the fleece armpit panel for this years model.
This had been a winner feature for me as my experience with down jackets in below the snowline conditions has been negative in that the full sleeved jackets have emulated sweat lodges.
For this reason I've hung onto my Sundowner Vest whilst sending my jacket version to family in the much colder climes of NZ.

I checked out the other shops and I gotta say there is some very nice new gear out there, specifically for my tastes, great looking and multi-panelled tailored fleece that look nothing like traditional fluff fleece - just saying.

I should have thought to take some pics with my phone but I didn't but will attempt another visit during the week and will try to grab some pics then. :idea:

To go along with the much better looking gear was prices that would make your eyes water.
Saying that, most stores had plenty of last years stuff at discounted prices that might be a less dangerous for those with dormant heart conditions. :shock:

More thinking and more research on my part needed.

I might yet determine that that the cost of a light weight down top of some description might be a go in the search of less bulk in the panniers but I'm not quite there yet.
Not a problem as I could happily spend much more time wandering the outdoors stores, driving the sales staff mad. :)

Despite a desire for some retail therapy, I merely came away with some merino underwear :oops:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:44 pm

I have NO idea why you would need a down jacket in WA :? :?: :?:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:57 pm

il padrone wrote:I have NO idea why you would need a down jacket in WA :? :?: :?:
Anyone who isn't immediately fried from our summers starts to freeze well above zero degrees IP.
When you live somewhere where its too bloomin hot most of the year, lower temps hit hard and well above where someone used to more moderate climes might feel it.

Its a not very well kept secret that much of Australia thinks the Victorian climate uninhabitable. :wink:

Apart from wishing to keep my travel options open to interstate, I'm exploring the possibilities of lowering bulk and weight from my panniers.
This is a continual process of being open minded to opportunities that may unveil themselves.

I once would have only considered owning one sleeping bag. I now own two as what is suitable for below the snowline in WA is not suitable for many other places in both Aus and NZ in winter, although I did own my warmer bag first.

It was reading about some of the new sub 200 gram down "sweaters" (e.g. Ghost Whisperer and Quasar) that suggested the possibility of smaller bulk than either my fleece tops or merino mid layers.

And I have happily taken a down jacket with me on tour here in WA, though I currently only own the vest version.
Sometimes my soft-shell simply isn't warm enough, so yeah I'm looking into the possibility of substitute mid layers.

Or are you simply trying to suggest that Victoria is just too small for the both of us and I should stay at home? :shock: :lol: :lol:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:50 pm

Jeepers, last winter was a fairly cold one where I felt it a good bit at home. But still we had hardly any days with top temps below 10C, and almost no morning frosts here in the suburbs.

I've lived in Victoria for over 50 years without possessing a single down jacket or vest, and my wife hardly ever uses her down snow jacket.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:52 am

il padrone wrote:Jeepers, last winter was a fairly cold one where I felt it a good bit at home. But still we had hardly any days with top temps below 10C, and almost no morning frosts here in the suburbs.

I've lived in Victoria for over 50 years without possessing a single down jacket or vest, and my wife hardly ever uses her down snow jacket.
I was only joking about Victorias temps and habitation (sorta :wink: )

Thus far I've only lived in NSW, Sydney, Central Tablelands, WA Perth and a stint in Adelaide recovering from fractured ribs on my journey over here.
Certainly when winter started arriving in Adelaide it was much colder than I had been used to for a while and this was a catalyst for buying some warmer gear despite arriving in the warmer clime of WA.

Touring time in WA is not summer which I rarely bother going outside being more used to colder NZ where I spent 7 years prior to returning to Aus. WA is bone dry in Summer usually but surprisingly cool and wet in winter, more so inland, at night and in the southern end.

My brother n law in Kalgoorlie has quite a collection of cold weather gear for winter I've not seen equaled since leaving NZ.

Some people wear down wear for temps around 5 degrees. One example of the type of top suitable for those temps at the higher price end might be http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/waferlite-down-shirt which is a 140g down shirt. Easier to understand when you consider the packing size and weight compared to the more traditional fleece or merino tops although it appears deep pockets are required.

For anyone following and interested in whats available in down-wear in sub 250g tops, I've left a small list on what I quickly and easily found via google in the bush walk forums: http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 88#p298088

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 pm

Well based on a few years experience and even more nights out camping here in the South West of WA and in the NT (Larapinta Trail), I will keep wearing my down jacket when it gets cold thanks. Even in the Gascoyne in the dry the down jacket came out on some nights; not many but a few. The desert nights can be very cold as we well and truly learnt walking the Larapinta Trail; hot days, freezing nights. Ice on everything in the morning was pretty normal in July.

Still remember camping overnight at Gringer Creek in September. There was ice still on the table and gear at 8:30 AM when I pulled out, and I think if I remember correctly, it took me a couple of hours of walking to get warmed up. That was on a day with clear skies and only about two hours drive south of Perth. Probably the coldest campsite on the Bibbulmun Track. Add in some winter rain and it can get even colder.

Will not go back to a fleece Aidan; way to bulky for the warmth factor for me.

I only wear my down jacket (an Outdoor Research one) around camp, not on the bike so not so worried about the sweat issue. There are more suitable clothes options for on bike if necessary.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:29 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Will not go back to a fleece Aidan; way to bulky for the warmth factor for me.

I only wear my down jacket (an Outdoor Research one) around camp, not on the bike so not so worried about the sweat issue. There are more suitable clothes options for on bike if necessary.
I'm not looking for something to cycle in but rather keeping warm when off the bike in cold weather.

My last down jacket (Sundowner XP) was too warm for anything more than sitting around it seemed and got damp at the merest thought of any exertion. Fantastic for sitting around but not so good for any walking at all.
I still own the vest version of the jacket which may prove better in practice.

I'm simply attempting to explore possibilities to refine my clothing choices to seek potential avenues to lighten the load on my knees and bulk in my panniers without being detrimental to my comfort.

I may determine my down vest is all the compromise I needed to do both but the down sweaters available now is an exciting new medium of form and function that I wasn't previously aware off.
I know the bike packing format isn't going to work for me but its ethos has inspired me to forego my usual "durability is king" mentality and actively look towards lighter ways of doing things and the new awareness of these lightweight and tiny bulk tops has currently caught my imagination.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:19 am

To change the present conversation ever so slightly :mrgreen: Anaconda have some nice little camping specials until this Sunday 24th April and one of these specials is the Trangia 27-2 camping stoves for $95. This is the smaller kit for 1-2 adults without kettle which I may buy separate.
I'm seriously considering one of these to start building up my bike touring kit.....does anyone use this kind of stove as apposed to the more modern gas ones around today. is the weight and bulk of these considered too much for bicycle touring?
I know it has been said that the alcohol stoves are slower to cook but does that really matter?
The thing i'm looking at has also the option to later buy the gas conversion so it'd be easy to change between the 2.

I'm also a little wary about cooking with aluminium but I also don't want the non-stick stuff either....so the plain ones would be better suitable and worry about the scrubbing later :lol:

Cheers

brumby33
Dave
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

Stuntman

Postby Stuntman » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:41 am

Not having the non-stick version means you can scrub the pots with sand.

Gas is quick and easy with more control over the flame - which could be important depending on your personal preferences and what your trying to cook. Gas is generally readily available in Aus - and especially so if you source an adpater to run on the plain butane cans (the flyspray type cans available everywhere). Also no soot on your pots and pans

In saying that alcohol burners are fine - and there are many, many types of alcohol burners that you can make or buy that are lighter than the trangia one. In saying that the trangia one is very robust. They are simple with not much to go wrong and alcohol/metho is available everywhere.

I have and use both gas and alcohol.

I'd say go for the trangia, its a versatile kit.
Vivente Randoneur SHB, Focus Paralane, Giant Anyroad, Merida Big Nine, 1990 Miyata 414, 1978 Peugeot Mixte, Brumby Tandem,

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:05 pm

Trangia can work really well. Just make sure you can get the fuel where you're going (same with any fuel really).

I used a Tatonka alcohol stove, and I think I'll use it again, but with only a minimal stand rather than the full 2 piece stand. The one annoying thing was buying fuel usually meant carrying 1 litre to start with.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:08 pm

brumby33 wrote:To change the present conversation ever so slightly :mrgreen: Anaconda have some nice little camping specials until this Sunday 24th April and one of these specials is the Trangia 27-2 camping stoves for $95. This is the smaller kit for 1-2 adults without kettle which I may buy separate.
Unlike rifraf :) I stopped using my Trangia stove probably 12 to 15 years ago now; to much weight and more importantly the bulk of it was just way to much for me.

Now days whilst I still enjoy using an alcohol stove (there is something about the silence and "slowness" of it) my setup of choice is a[url=http://aushiker.com/owner-review-t ... cone stove[/url]. That said I am actually transitioning to a bikepacking kit so will be changing the caldera cone to take a much small cup/pot; one around 450 to 650ml, e.g., Alpkit MytiMug 650.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:29 pm

I'm not worried about the cooking speed so much...kinda used to a long cook as I've been doing lots of American low n slow Smoker Q's for years, but even with the more compact gas stoves, you still need cooking utensils to use..pots/pans etc which the Trangia has in their entire kit and it all fits in each other.....I've had held a kit yesterday and I didn't really consider it that bulky considering what you get.
As for the fuel, simple bottle of methylated spirits is what I've been told they run on and I've seen guys place the fuel bottle in the 3rd bottle bidon under the front down tube and my Vivente looks to have a place I could fit one so I can carry the fuel outside the panniers.

Cheers

brumby33
Dave

VWR Patagonia 2017

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:29 pm

Cooking on aluminium is safe.
In actual fact the chromium content in stainless steel poses a greater health risk. Virtually none.
The Alzhiemers and aluminium "link" is an urban myth that perpetuates. It was based on an entirely flawed single study that has been comprehensively debunked. But who listens to scientists these days?
I've gone back to a Metho burning Trangia after a 30 year hiatus. The Shellite in my Optimus Svea was starting to give me headaches and pressurised burners are noisy.
The Trangia flame is clean and silent. I love it.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:46 pm

As Aushiker has posted, the disadvantage of the Trangia is its bulk - not just the stove, but the fuel too.

Yes, you can carry a fuel bottle in a bidon cage, but that reduces your water carrying capacity.

And when considering cost the price of the fuel bottle must also be factored in.

Space comes at a premium when touring, so you need to make the choices that use the available space most efficiently.
Last edited by RonK on Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:48 pm

Tim wrote:Cooking on aluminium is safe.
In actual fact the chromium content in stainless steel poses a greater health risk. Virtually none.
The Alzhiemers and aluminium "link" is an urban myth that perpetuates. It was based on an entirely flawed single study that has been comprehensively debunked. But who listens to scientists these days?
I've gone back to a Metho burning Trangia after a 30 year hiatus. The Shellite in my Optimus Svea was starting to give me headaches and pressurised burners are noisy.
The Trangia flame is clean and silent. I love it.
Thankyou Tim, your post is probably all I need to have confirmed my decision about buying the Trangia.
As it'll only be myself who will use it, the 1-2 person set is all I need but I may buy the little kettle further down the track.
Yes about Aluminium...jeez we've been drinking softdrink and beer from aluminium cans for decades....and hey...everything out there is going to kill us or give us cancer...ain't it!! :roll: :lol:

Cheers

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:00 pm

RonK wrote:As Aushiker has posted, the disadvantage of the Trangia is its bulk - not just the stove, but the fuel too.

Yes, you can carry a fuel bottle in a bidon cage, but that reduces your water carrying capacity.

Space comes at a premium when touring, so you need to make the choices that use the available space most efficiently.
G'day Ron,

Yeah I understand the bulkiness issue but even with using the smaller gas jet stoves, you're still going to need a pan and pot to cook stuff. From what I've seen, those jet stoves are only really good to cook up something in a tall Mug like container...what about if you wanna cook some snags? Some of the other gas types which have the gas canister separate maybe better as many that I've seen have the flanges wide enough to accommodate a small pan.
I'm not pooing gas stoves, I'm just looking more at the practicality of using a stove plus utensils a well.I believe these will fit nicely in an ortleib front pannier which I'm yet to buy.....coming soon!! :roll:
The water can be carried perhaps 2 x1.5 litre bottle (one in each rear pannier?) 2 bidon bottles and if I think I will need to, I have a 3 litre camelback I could use for more extreme measures....I lot of weight I guess....hopefully I'll lose weight to compensate eventually :mrgreen:

Cheers

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017