Camping Gear Specials

rifraf

Camping Gear Specials

Postby rifraf » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:28 pm

Hi everyone,
just thought I'd share the fact that Macpac has its Xmas specials on.
There are some big disounts available and I didnt want to keep it all to myself.
Pretty sure most of the big cities are catered for and for those not near a store then you can buy online.
For better discounts sign up for the MWC (macpac wilderness club) which means you get an email from time to time letting you know about the specials.
I'm in no way affiliated with Macpac but I do love much of their gear and just wanted to share the opportunity to grab a bargain.
Perhaps this thread could be used for others to show other camping gear bargains. I didnt start it to be Macpacs spokesperson.
http://www.macpac.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; should get you there. I'm just grabbing a bivvy bag to replace my now worn out 17 year old one at about 47% discount.
Cheers
Aidan :D
Last edited by rifraf on Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

il padrone

Re: Camping Gear Specials

Postby il padrone » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:13 pm

That link came out wrong. This link will get you the good Macpac deals - http://www.macpac.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Unless you're in the market for an Apple Mac from the US Pacific North West :wink:)
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:27 pm

il padrone wrote:That link came out wrong. This link will get you the good Macpac deals - http://www.macpac.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Unless you're in the market for an Apple Mac from the US Pacific North West :wink:)
How unusual
Thanks IP, I've now adjusted my link as well. I originally didn't actually make a link but just typed
in what you saw. No matter as now we have the proper link thanks to you and I dont have to field off lots of comments about a failed link. Just decided I'm getting a new Minaret tent as well as the cocoon (bivybag) and currently toying with the idea of a lightweight sleeping bag with 400grams of down.
From the Endurance range the Express 400xl looks like me. Temp rating Comfort 2ºC / Limit -4ºC / Extreme -21ºC, being 0.82kg its lighter and less bulky than my 4 seasons 1.5kg weight bag.

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:45 pm

How does it actually work in regards to temp rating, so at 2C you are comfortable, -2C its the limit, -21C is extreme...what does the extreme mean, seeing the limit is -2 i would think you woudl freeze to death if it was -21C.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:41 pm

polishbiker wrote:How does it actually work in regards to temp rating, so at 2C you are comfortable, -2C its the limit, -21C is extreme...what does the extreme mean, seeing the limit is -2 i would think you woudl freeze to death if it was -21C.
From the Macpac site:

EN 13537 Temperature rating

Measuring temperature ratings is a complicated process because your personal experience can differ largely based on factors such as clothing, sleeping mat, weather conditions, level of fatigue and nutrition.
The temperature ratings of our sleeping bags are in accordance with the European standard EN 13537.

Comfort
The temperature at which the person in the sleeping bag is in thermal equilibrium; not feeling cold throughout the entire body. (reference: standard woman in standard conditions; in relaxed posture, such as lying on back).

Limit of comfort
Lower limit of comfort range. The temperature at which the person in the sleeping bag is in thermal equilibrium; not feeling cold throughout the entire body. (reference: standard man in ‘fighting against cold’ situation; such as rolled up body posture).

Extreme
Lower temperature extreme where the risk of hypothermia occurs. Situation of high cold stress, which can be maintained for a limited duration of six hours. (reference: standard woman in standard conditions of use; rolled up in the bag to minimise thermal loss through the sleeping bag).
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:26 pm

polishbiker wrote:How does it actually work in regards to temp rating, so at 2C you are comfortable, -2C its the limit, -21C is extreme...what does the extreme mean, seeing the limit is -2 i would think you woudl freeze to death if it was -21C.
Hi PB,
I'm afraid its all teckno mumbo jumbo to me.
I believe that the extreme temp is one where you might be borderline hypothermic but you'd survive.
I do know that having camped above the snowline in NZ, that my four season bag is good for whatever the elements are likely to throw at it. The down is 800 loft which is supposed to be pretty good. I'd feel safe in most conditions in it. My problem is its just too good for most Aussie conditions, pointedly WA summer ones anyway.
My potential new bag, the Express 400xl is around (800+ Loft 90/10 Goose down) 820gms in total whilst my Sanctuary 800 XP (XL) is I think 1.6kg.
I just got word from my sister in NZ that she's picked up my new green Minaret tent and green bivy (coocoon).
I can expect them in my hot little hands in the near future. :D

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:00 am

I like Macpac gear. Macpac do have a most interesting way to reference the thermal quality of something as important as a sleeping bag's comfort.
Comfort ... Standard woman in standard conditions, in relaxed posture, such as lying on back ...
Now that sounds nice.
Lower limit of comfort range ... The temperature at which the person in the sleeping bag is in thermal equilibrium; not feeling cold throughout the entire body.
They failed to include, not having a good night's sleep either, probably ... but one can be grateful that they're not feeling cold throughout their entire body.
Lower temperature extreme where the risk of hypothermia occurs ... Situation of high cold stress, which can be maintained for a limited duration of six hours ... Standard woman in standard conditions of use; rolled up in the bag to minimise thermal loss ...
It is good to see that the Standard woman in standard conditions of use is still in use and not dead ... but what if she doesn't like the foetal position or is an 8 hour sleeper? Send no flowers.

I've a -10°C down bag. I've been in it in -21°C on a New Years Day on Etheridge Ridge next to Kosciuszko's Main Range. It was so cold it hurt to breath and quality sleep was out of the question. I view my -10°C bag now as a minus -21°C bag. A Sea to Summit 100% silk inner is +3°C and a Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor is rated at +8°C(248g). Thermolite Reactors come in +8, +11 and +15°C.

I hope this helps ... that poor cold woman. I wonder why Macpac didn't suggest zipping a left hand rectangular bag and a right hand rectangular bag together, for both the man and woman's comfort. I guess such antics would make their EXTREME reference redundant. Here I would suggest a double width silk inner. Anything Thermolite would make the bag far too hot.

Rif, you'd better not say this time, "photo or it didn't happen".

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:01 pm

WarrenH wrote: Rif, you'd better not say this time, "photo or it didn't happen".

Warren.
With such wonderful verbal imagery Wazza, pics could almost be a distraction.......

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:36 pm

Couldnt resist and added to my list of purchases a black:
http://www.macpac.com.au/mens/jackets/w ... ket-m.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
My good sisters already received for me:
http://www.macpac.com.au/endurance/endu ... s-690.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.macpac.com.au/trek/trekking- ... naret.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.macpac.com.au/trek/trekking- ... 11900.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Cocoon in green of course as well as the Minaret).
I think tomorrow is the last day of the sale but there should be some great bargains on Boxing day which is
when I bought my 4 season Macpac XP800 sleeping bag for around half normal retail.
http://www.macpac.com.au/mountain/mount ... -4207.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The down jacket at the top of the list is something I've been considering for a while.
I've had a fantastic run from my fleece jacket and I'd think the down would be hard pushed to match the longevity of it but the green with purple collar and cuffs is starting to wear a bit thin :lol: I have to keep dodging the fashion police and put up with my sisters "have you got rid of that awful colored jacket yet" when I hear from her.
The fleece breathes well, is wind proof in all but the wildest weather and very warm on the coldest of days.
Approx 17 years is a great run from any item but I'm hoping the down jacket brings me as much joy in ownership.
I'm confident it will be lighter and pack down smaller than its predessessor although what I'm gong to use as a pillow now, the deity only knows.
Last edited by rifraf on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:46 pm

rifraf wrote:The fleece breathes well, is wind proof in all but the wildest weather and very warm on the coldest of days.
Say what???

Is this jacket Windstopper fleece? Normal polarfleece has exceptionally poor wind protection. It's light and very warm in still air, but the two biggest disappointments for me of my first fleece jacket were:
1. the wind just blew straight through compared to a good woollen jumper
2. the darn thing was just sooo bulky, it was a huge chore to pack it into a pannier.

I don't bother taking the older fleece jacket on cycle tours now. A thinner Windstopper fleece is much better, or else a good woollen road jersey, layered with a lycra jersey and/or merino thermal .
Mandatory helmet law?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:08 pm

il padrone wrote:
rifraf wrote:The fleece breathes well, is wind proof in all but the wildest weather and very warm on the coldest of days.
Say what???

Is this jacket Windstopper fleece? Normal polarfleece has exceptionally poor wind protection. It's light and very warm in still air, but the two biggest disappointments for me of my first fleece jacket were:
1. the wind just blew straight through compared to a good woollen jumper
2. the darn thing was just sooo bulky, it was a huge chore to pack it into a pannier.

I don't bother taking the older fleece jacket on cycle tours now. A thinner Windstopper fleece is much better, or else a good woollen road jersey, layered with a lycra jersey and/or merino thermal .
Over the years I've picked up or have been given other brand fleece products. They have been rubbish compared to the qualities of my Macpac fleece jacket. Its so old now I cant even find mention of it online so I cant provide you with an old link. These other items have been passed on or thrown out/given to charity (in good nick).
The issue with the jacket is as you've pointed out, the packing it away due to its bulk. I hate the cold but this has been so good that I've retained it all these years despite hating with passion, its colour scheme. There was little choice in colour back in the day. I also owned their even thicker fleece jacket but it was taking the Michael as if you moved in it you sweated like a pig no matter what the weather was doing (even in the UK).
I hauled that jacket around for years as because I'd paid a fortune for it and hated to admit it was a bad purchase.
I think it would have been fine for going to watch sport at a stadium or something but not practical if you decided to walk more than 50 meters due to being immediately saturated with sweat even if it was snowing and you only had on a tshirt underneath. You didnt then get cold from the sweat freezing as you just seemed to get warmer and warmer and wetter and wetter with the jacket getting progressively heavier. It was only coming back to Aussie I found the fortitude to see sense and drop it off at the Salvo's to torment its next owner.

I've seen the down jacket in a stuff sack and it shrinks down small. I dont know if this is standard and comes with the garment or if my friends one is a custom job but I do remember being very impressed with how small his pannier bags felt compared to my overstuffed ones.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:24 pm

rifraf wrote:The down jacket at the top of the list is something I've been considering for a while.
A down jacket? :lol: :lol: One of the unused items on my tours of Tassie and NZ, which I won't be taking again.
No down or Polarfleece - all I use now is a Marmot softshell jacket, with an Icebreaker shirt under. If that is not warm enough I add my Showers Pass Elite 2.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:43 pm

RonK wrote:
rifraf wrote:The down jacket at the top of the list is something I've been considering for a while.
A down jacket? :lol: :lol: One of the unused items on my tours of Tassie and NZ, which I won't be taking again.
No down or Polarfleece - all I use now is a Marmot softshell jacket, with an Icebreaker shirt under. If that is not warm enough I add my Showers Pass Elite 2.
Good to hear you've got what works for you Ron. If you found comfort with that combo on your NZ trip then it is definitely a winner for your wanderings as the temps in the South Island of NZ should offer some indications for what might work for you on your Patagonia trip. I'm thinking ownership of the down jacket not just for touring but to complement my general wardrobe as well. As I suggested, I've been largely satisfied with the fleece for a long time now and I'm sure you wont condemn me "stepping out" to try something new.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:59 pm

rifraf, your old fleece jacket sounds very much like mine, bought around 1992-4, a Macpac 300 weight jacket. It's been sitting in the wardrobe unused for at least the past 7-8 years. Really too hot for cycling, too prone to wind penetration for sitting around camp too, and way too bulky to pack in the pannier.

For the down jacket, it will stuff down to be much smaller, and the shell should give better wind protection. However I'd suggest you keep it for camp and town use, rather than any riding in it as down does not deal too well with getting damp (thinking perspiration/condensation when riding).
Mandatory helmet law?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:20 pm

il padrone wrote:rifraf, your old fleece jacket sounds very much like mine, bought around 1992-4, a Macpac 300 weight jacket. It's been sitting in the wardrobe unused for at least the past 7-8 years. Really too hot for cycling, too prone to wind penetration for sitting around camp too, and way too bulky to pack in the pannier.

HI Pete,
For the down jacket, it will stuff down to be much smaller, and the shell should give better wind protection. However I'd suggest you keep it for camp and town use, rather than any riding in it as down does not deal too well with getting damp (thinking perspiration/condensation when riding).
Definitely not for riding in. Way to warm for that. The XP version is much water resistant compared to the plain Sundowner with regards to inclement weather. In the specs:
"Reflex™ LoftPro™ combines a lightweight 30d ripstop nylon face fabric with a monolithic PU membrane to create a fabric which is highly water resistant (1,000mm hydrostatic head), windproof, downproof and highly breathable."
That waffle suggests to me an element of rain resistance that the other model lacks. Its more for around camp especially cold mornings when I'm grumpy (let alone retro grouch) enough. Basically to take over the duty of the fleece but doing it lighter and with less bulk.
I couldnt quite stretch to the E-vent XPD version.

As for your "too prone to wind penetration for sitting around camp too", I have to say my experience was different. Saying that, I acknowledge we all feel the cold differently. I have no experience of Victoria weather so cant suggest you feel the cold more than me. I will say I dont hang about much in the cold outdoors so perhaps
my suggestion of wind proof is more suggestive of my getting the hell into shelter ASAP rather than my memory of cold wind.
I do feel when dressed in what I think is appropriate for the weather, including layered up with the fleece on top (polyprop longjohns - Macpac of course which have also stood the test of time) that I've never suffered.
When I'm thus clothed I'm careful not to exert myself due to the ease of perspiration dampening everything.

I remember your comment about not being impressed with fleece gloves but in stark contrast to your experience I wouldn't have anything else as everything else I've tried leaves my hands/fingers either frozen with cold or wet with sweat and eventually frozen with cold when the sweat freezes.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:17 am

rifraf wrote:I'm thinking ownership of the down jacket not just for touring but to complement my general wardrobe as well.
Well, I've tried a lot of different gear - my wife operates a business in the trekking industry and has relationships with the local outdoor stores, so we can get the latest gear at heavily discounted prices. Our spare bedroom is overflowing with stuff that is no longer used - we should have a sale and get rid of it. :roll:

Down is good for streetwear, and I have used mine in Tassie on our regular winter visits. As other have said, it's too warm for activewear, and bloody awful if it gets wet.

I've taken mine with me on all my tours with the idea to wear it off the bike. It's quite compact and packs into its own pocket. But I've never needed to use it so won't take it again. A good softshell jacket like this one with appropriate base layers will be both windproof and water resistant, and will keep you toasty.

Best buy I've had for around camp in cool weather is the microfleece Macpac Bush Shirt and Pants, but they don't make them any more. :(

For your new sleeping bag I suggest one of these to keep it dry and packed as compactly as possible. Get the smallest size. :wink:
Last edited by RonK on Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:48 pm

RonK wrote:
Down is good for streetwear, and I have used mine in Tassie on our regular winter visits. As other have said, it's too warm for activewear, and bloody awful if it gets wet.
Yeah this is why I dug a little deeper into my pocket to get the water resistant version of the jacket. I looked at the website and the jacket does indeed come with its own stuff sack.
RonK wrote: I've taken mine with me on all my tours with the idea to wear it off the bike. It's quite compact and packs into it's own pocket. But I've never needed to use it so won't take it again. A good softshell jacket like this one with appropriate base layers will be both windproof and water resistant, and will keep you toasty.
I went with the down as opposed to the softshell to take advantage of the sale and not knowing much about the softshell gear. I'm persuing lightening and removing bulk from my load. Knowing that you favor it, I'll look into it some more when next I'm in the city at the Macpac store and have a good look at the softshell range and their literature. I'll also have a gawk at your link - thanks for that. There will be more sales I'm sure.
RonK wrote:Best buy I've had for around camp in cool weather is the microfleece Macpac Bush Shirt and Pants, but they don't make them any more. :(

For your new sleeping bag I suggest one of these to keep it dry and packed as compactly as possible. Get the smallest size. :wink:
I'll add one to my "to get" list. The sleepingbag does appear to be firmly stuffed into the Macpac drybag but perhaps some compression may get it somewhat further squeezed

redned

Postby redned » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:08 pm

I paid a lot for my down parka (really a duvet which covers your backside rather than waist) in 1985 when I went to Nepal. While it has spent long periods unused (I was in Darwin for 8 years) and I have never cycled in it, it came in very handy when I went to Ulan Ude and Ust Kamenogorsk in winter, where I see today are a very comfortable -30 C and -39 C respectively.
Buy something good and it can last a lifetime.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:32 pm

rifraf wrote:I went with the down as opposed to the softshell to take advantage of the sale and not knowing much about the softshell gear. I'm persuing lightening and removing bulk from my load. Knowing that you favor it, I'll look into it some more when next I'm in the city at the Macpac store and have a good look at the softshell range and their literature. I'll also have a gawk at your link - thanks for that.
Back when I decided to go ultralight with my gear I was very impressed with Marmot quality and design, and bought a Precip shell, the softshell I already mentioned (although I'm not sure if the link is to the exact model), and a Helium sleeping bag, which turned out to be waaaay to warm for me. So I also bought a Hydrogen sleeping bag - the one I took to NZ this year. My wife has the Lithium sleeping bag for her Nepal trips. It's great stuff.

There are plenty of softshells to choose from now but when I got mine they were new fabric technology and were hard to get.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:06 am

Ta Daaaah :!:
No drum roll but finally a pic of my goodies from NZ.
Down Jacket (XP Sundowner), Nikau Green Cocoon (bivybag), Minaret Tent (green of course) and Express 400xl sleeping bag.

Due to the sale still going I'm seriously wondering whether to grab the Macpac Microlight for shorter distance tours in hopefully not as wild a winds
http://www.macpac.co.nz/trek/trekking-t ... light.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At 1.6kg it might be something to bring a tear to Ronks eye(?) :wink:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:14 am

rifraf wrote:Due to the sale still going I'm seriously wondering whether to grab the Macpac Microlight for shorter distance tours in hopefully not as wild a winds
http://www.macpac.co.nz/trek/trekking-t ... light.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Save up for a much better tent - more useable interior space + huge vestibule and ingenious design features - the Exped Vela 1.
Mandatory helmet law?

iacl

Postby iacl » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:43 am

rifraf wrote:Ta Daaaah :!:

Due to the sale still going I'm seriously wondering whether to grab the Macpac Microlight for shorter distance tours in hopefully not as wild a winds
You might like to consider the macrolite, .5kg heavier, bit dearer, still green, but a lot more functional space.

http://www.macpac.com.au/trek/trekking- ... light.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also the Salewa Micra from paddy pallin is cheaper for a very (remarkedly) similar tent. Been using one of these for years without complaint.

http://christmascamping.paddypallin.caszine.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:47 am

iacl wrote:
You might like to consider the macrolite, .5kg heavier, bit dearer, still green, but a lot more functional space.

http://www.macpac.com.au/trek/trekking- ... light.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also the Salewa Micra from paddy pallin is cheaper for a very (remarkedly) similar tent. Been using one of these for years without complaint.

http://christmascamping.paddypallin.caszine.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hi iacl,
the macrolite is around the same weight and size as the Minaret I just bought. I found on my last tour it much easier to find a campsite for a very small tent.
This is one of the reasons I like my bivy so much is that you can camp in and around scrub that you couldnt consider putting up a 2 man tent in.
I will have a squiz at the Salewa Micra, thanks for your suggestions :)
Happy Spinning

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:08 pm

rifraf wrote:Due to the sale still going I'm seriously wondering whether to grab the Macpac Microlight for shorter distance tours in hopefully not as wild a winds
Haha - not likely. A one-pole tent will never appear in my gear list. I couldn't help but grin to myself watching another cycle tourist struggle in the wind with one at Mavora Lakes camp this year. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

When it comes to tents, light weigh is a poor trade-off for the compromises required to acheive it. Besides, I've had the opportunity to have a good look at both the Microlight and the Macrolight in the local Macpac store, and can by them at a very good discount if I want. But they don't much impress. :?

Using the Soulo I've found a single-pitch tent is so convenient I'm never likely to go back to a separate fly. It took me longer to inflate my Exped mattress than it took to pitch the Soulo. I'd probable be tempted by a Rodgen if I needed another 3-season tent :wink: , but my Wilderness Equipment Dart 2 is still in good shape - my wife used it in the snow on the Overland Track earlier this year.
Last edited by RonK on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:16 pm

My cheeky quip "a tear to Ronk eye" was more to do with following in the spirit of your weight mantra (compared to mine) and not a suggestion that you might like the microlight as I know your very happy with your Soulo.

Yeah I think my eyes are bigger than my wallet. :oops:

I need to settle down now and enjoy my Minaret and Cocoon. I dont really need anything else and I think they will last me a long time. I hope I use my Minaret more than the last one (which I'll now sell) but as I got one in green I'm sure I'll be much happier with it and wont need to break out the bivybag quite so much. :D

I think now its time to recoup the bank balance and then put some funds into a new bike build. I've been doing more and more reading much to the chagrin of my prepay internet card and keep coming back to the Ogre that I find so appealing.