Camping Gear Specials

Aushiker

Re: Camping Gear Specials

Postby Aushiker » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:14 pm

RonK wrote:As Aushiker has posted, the disadvantage of the Trangia is its bulk - not just the stove, but the fuel too.

Yes, you can carry a fuel bottle in a bidon cage, but that reduces your water carrying capacity.

Space comes at a premium when touring, so you need to make the choices that use the available space most efficiently.
+ one would need to carry the food to justify all those pots and pans taking up more space and adding to the weight :)

On the fuel side of things, I do a day's cooking including a cup of tea at lunch on around 40 to 50 mls of fuel per day so for a full week I only need to carry 400 mls of fuel (a small safety margin). Also I can burn wood if necessary so I don't need to rely on having sufficient fuel or be too concerned about running out. Therefore I don't think my space required for fuel carrying would be much more than your cannister approach.

That said if I am out for more than one week with no re-supply options then I will have to resort to carrying more fuel in probably that third bidon cage but then where I tour I would need to the same with canisters which are even harder to obtain.
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:19 pm

brumby33 wrote:Yeah I understand the bulkiness issue but even with using the smaller gas jet stoves, you're still going to need a pan and pot to cook stuff. From what I've seen, those jet stoves are only really good to cook up something in a tall Mug like container...what about if you wanna cook some snags?
What sort of touring are you planning? Just an overnight down the road or multi-days without resupply?

If I want snags I get them and cook them in a town's caravan park or the like, not out of the bike. On the bike it is food high in energy but as light as possible; dry food and quality protein basically.

I have toured where I have had to carry 35 litres of water and 20 days of food ... seriously snags were simply not on menu, not even for a week's touring unless of course I was simply riding town to town in which case the stove wouldn't be coming anyway.
Last edited by Aushiker on Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:53 pm

Thankyou for your question Aushiker,

I probably won't if ever do anything as remote as you've done, I've gotta be honest here, I'm just getting started and trying to build up my kit. I'm 56 yrs of age so yeah...ain't no 20 something anymore :lol: I'm definitely starting out later in life and must do the best I can with my present ability and knowledge and so I do very much appreciate the advice I'm getting here.
I'll definitely begin with short long weekend and weeklong journeys before doing anything extensive but on saying this, I'm hoping to build up enough fitness to do longer trips towards and after retirement.
Ok, I understand about the logistics of cooking snags may not be a grand idea in a stealth camping situation and may be better eating such at a pub lunch if I happen to pass by one...every now and then of course :mrgreen:

I'm one of the unfortunates that was never taught how to camp minimally or at all, my parents weren't really into it except in the comforts of a caravan and caravan parks, wasn't exposed to this kind of life as a younger bloke but have always envied those who have done it and before I snuff it, I'm gonna get a bit of the action.

My ultimate aim eventually upon retirement years is to tour Japan ( if it hasn't broken up in many pieces by then) where I may end up living if my Mrs has anything to do with it but I do love the country, the culture and especially the tucker :P I can speak enough Japanese to get me what I need but nothing too indepth.

I'd also love to do some of the USA.

One thing about being set-up and learning to stealth camp is that I can also adapt this principle when touring on my motorcycle. I have a Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom that can go off the beaten track somewhat. So, equipping myself so I can use on both bicycle and motorcycle would be ideal.

So....that's me at my stage in life......and I'm learning lots from you guys here...a big thanks for that!! :D

Cheers

brumby33

Dave
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:14 pm

brumby33 wrote:
RonK wrote:As Aushiker has posted, the disadvantage of the Trangia is its bulk - not just the stove, but the fuel too.

Yes, you can carry a fuel bottle in a bidon cage, but that reduces your water carrying capacity.

Space comes at a premium when touring, so you need to make the choices that use the available space most efficiently.
Yeah I understand the bulkiness issue but even with using the smaller gas jet stoves, you're still going to need a pan and pot to cook stuff. From what I've seen, those jet stoves are only really good to cook up something in a tall Mug like container...what about if you wanna cook some snags? Some of the other gas types which have the gas canister separate maybe better as many that I've seen have the flanges wide enough to accommodate a small pan.
I'm not pooing gas stoves, I'm just looking more at the practicality of using a stove plus utensils a well.I believe these will fit nicely in an ortleib front pannier which I'm yet to buy.....coming soon!! :roll:
The water can be carried perhaps 2 x1.5 litre bottle (one in each rear pannier?) 2 bidon bottles and if I think I will need to, I have a 3 litre camelback I could use for more extreme measures....I lot of weight I guess....hopefully I'll lose weight to compensate eventually :mrgreen:
Gas stoves will cook sausages in a frypan just as well as a Trangia if you are motivated to do that kind of cooking while on tour. But after a long day in the saddle, quick and easy is as much as most tourists are motivated to do, and only requires a pot and spoon, and for convenience maybe a mug. Pub meals are even better. :)

And if your panniers are occupied by stove, cooking utensils and water, where are you going to put the rest of your gear? Food? Clothing? Tent, sleeping bag and mat, etcetera, etcetera,etcetera? You are likely to end up with a heavy load.

There is nothing wrong with an alcohol stove, they work just fine but loose out on convenience big time. I have minimal weight and bulk Clickstand stove but prefer a Kovea Spider and a 1 litre pot.

Oh, and you can't use your age as an excuse - you are certainly well junior to me and I suspect Aushiker wouldn't be far behind either. :lol:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:50 pm

Yeah but but but Ron...I'm just a beginner :oops: :roll: ......you guys have been doing this before I left high school no doubt :P :lol:

Yeah but I see what you mean though, maybe I might just hold off with the camp stove for the time being....what about those tablet stoves, you know they are like the ones used by the army and have fuel tabs to cook with them. I do remember using them while trying for the reserves back in '79 and cooked my meal with just one tablet and a small canister tray.
The ol' bully beef and whipped potato mash powder....delish :lol:
I guess they'd be good for emergency....?

Cheers

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:17 pm

brumby33 wrote:I probably won't if ever do anything as remote as you've done, I've gotta be honest here, I'm just getting started and trying to build up my kit. I'm 56 yrs of age so yeah...ain't no 20 something anymore :lol: I'm definitely starting out later in life and must do the best I can with my present ability and knowledge and so I do very much appreciate the advice I'm getting here.
Just a quick answer as I am between classes at the present ... I am the same age as you :) but anyway on the subject of food, I suggest checking out this thread and maybe asking questions there on that aspect.

I understand where you are coming from and if anything I have the opposite problem now when I go car camping ... tend to still think light as possibly can :)

With cycling or bushwalking you really want foods with a focus on protein and energy as that is what you are going to need day in day out and in the lightest form, which generally means dry.
Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:28 pm

You just need to look how all your gear will eventually integrate together, rather than only one item at a time.

I've made many false starts and have plenty of redundant gear because of them. Even so I'm still refining my gear. Last count I had 6 stoves - many $$$ worth.

Of course, much depends on the style of touring you want to do - if you want to have cooked meals then you'll need more gear, and will have to work out how to carry it. But those poor old legs of yours will probably prefer to be pushing less rather than more. :)

You could save yourself a lot of time and money by trying to avoid similar false starts.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:39 pm

Wow....some powerful advice there....I shall take on board......I will say though, after a full day of motorcycle touring, the 2 things I look forward to the most is a few cold beers and good hearty pub grub......I reckon after peddling for hours on end, if I still have the energy to eat the pub grub....it'll be even more appreciated.

I want to thank you Andrew, Ron & Tim for your guidance......you've given me a lot of food for thought today and I didn't even need a Trangia :P :lol:

Man...there's so much to learn!! :shock:

A big thanks guys :D

Cheers

brumby33

Dave

VWR Patagonia 2017

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:23 am

Massdrop have a drop on the EmberLit FireAnt Titanium wood stove. Potentially US$54.99 so not a great saving.

Andrew

Stuntman

Postby Stuntman » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:21 pm

Given were both in Newcastle Brumby, maybe we should hookup and do an overnighter or two somewhere. I am relatively new to bike touring/bike packing, but have some experience living out of a sea kayak.

Another disadvantage of gas is when you drop your stove in the sand and a grain of sand clogs the gas-line.....
Vivente Randoneur SHB, Focus Paralane, Giant Anyroad, Merida Big Nine, 1990 Miyata 414, 1978 Peugeot Mixte, Brumby Tandem,

Warin

Postby Warin » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:04 pm

From a motorcycle to bicycle view;

The bicycle rider spends nothing on petrol .... but a lot more food is required!

If you travel a road by car you know little of it, by motorcycle a good deal more, by bicycle much more still.

Generally the bicycle travels 1/10th the distance/speed of the motorcycle (round numbers).

If you have toured by motorcycle you will have some idea of what is required and a fair amount of equipment to start with. You will need to redouble efforts on weight and size.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:31 am

Stuntman wrote:Given were both in Newcastle Brumby, maybe we should hookup and do an overnighter or two somewhere. I am relatively new to bike touring/bike packing, but have some experience living out of a sea kayak.

Another disadvantage of gas is when you drop your stove in the sand and a grain of sand clogs the gas-line.....
Hi there Stuntman, yeah mate, I reckon that's a great idea, I'm for that most definitely.

I'll send you a PM and we can arrange something perhaps..... 8)

Cheers

brumby33
Dave

VWR Patagonia 2017

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:44 am

You blokes should never go bike touring with me, I think you'd be choking on your cornflakes when I set up the folding chairs next to the BBQ as the charcoal caught. Mmmmmm, scallops....
Back on subject... if you are going to go Trangia stump up for the Non-Stick pots. They work very well. I have had a set for 17 years. Still going strong, even though I was a walking track ranger and track worker for a while and used them for months at a time. Much easier to get stuff like porridge off. The only thing you need to watch is not getting too much sand between the pots when you pack them away. It just makes the Teflon look a bit crappy.
I switched to an MSR stove liquid stove for work reasons. Didn't have the patience to wait for things, didn't like the blackened pots and the sheer volume and cost of fuel I had to carry sucked. I used to buy shellite in 20L drums. Gas was too expensive.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:07 am

Trevtassie wrote:You blokes should never go bike touring with me, I think you'd be choking on your cornflakes when I set up the folding chairs next to the BBQ as the charcoal caught. Mmmmmm, scallops....
Back on subject... if you are going to go Trangia stump up for the Non-Stick pots. They work very well. I have had a set for 17 years. Still going strong, even though I was a walking track ranger and track worker for a while and used them for months at a time. Much easier to get stuff like porridge off. The only thing you need to watch is not getting too much sand between the pots when you pack them away. It just makes the Teflon look a bit crappy.
I switched to an MSR stove liquid stove for work reasons. Didn't have the patience to wait for things, didn't like the blackened pots and the sheer volume and cost of fuel I had to carry sucked. I used to buy shellite in 20L drums. Gas was too expensive.
Yeah Trevtassie, I was just sizing up one of those bob trailers to see if they were big enough to take my Weber kettle :mrgreen:

VWR Patagonia 2017

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:46 pm

For those interested in Ghost Whisperer or similar down wear jackets, you might find a search of Wiggles offerings interesting, especially for those in an XL sizing.......

http://www.this link is broken.au/insulated-jackets-1/
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

anthonyo

Postby anthonyo » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:19 pm

May I suggest the Trangia 28-T Mini Cook Set as it packs up really small and light at 330 grams. It comes with a 0.8 litre pot. As there is only one pot, I boil water for a cuppa first and then make the breakfast porridge or evening meal. It is $75 at Anaconda but not on special.

Had one for years but found it took too long to boil a pot so kept on using the bigger Trangia. Am sure that it was inefficient due to the wind blowing the flames around. Now that I started touring with my dog, space is more important, so I thought about using the mini again. I bought a titanium windshield and this fixed the problem. There is flareup if the shield is too close to the unit so have to be careful to make the gap even. Works well.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:52 am

anthonyo wrote:May I suggest the Trangia 28-T Mini Cook Set as it packs up really small and light at 330 grams. It comes with a 0.8 litre pot. As there is only one pot, I boil water for a cuppa first and then make the breakfast porridge or evening meal. It is $75 at Anaconda but not on special.

Had one for years but found it took too long to boil a pot so kept on using the bigger Trangia. Am sure that it was inefficient due to the wind blowing the flames around. Now that I started touring with my dog, space is more important, so I thought about using the mini again. I bought a titanium windshield and this fixed the problem. There is flareup if the shield is too close to the unit so have to be careful to make the gap even. Works well.
Interested you are touring with your dog. I bet he loves it. Does he limit much the places you can stay? How do you carry him?

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:56 am

Stuntman wrote:.....Also no soot on your pots and pans.. snip
No doubt most Trangia users will know this, but for the Trangia noobs out there, if you mix the alcohol 60:40 with water then you get significantly less sooting and as a bonus you don't have to carry so much fuel (provided water supplies are not an issue!).
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:02 pm

rangersac wrote:
No doubt most Trangia users will know this, but for the Trangia noobs out there, if you mix the alcohol 60:40 with water then you get significantly less sooting and as a bonus you don't have to carry so much fuel (provided water supplies are not an issue!).
You don't have to carry any less fuel, the water doesn't add any energy to the system. Adding water can slightly increase efficiency, but not much, and at much lower than 60:40 ratio. http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1440

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:09 pm

BenGr wrote:
rangersac wrote:
You don't have to carry any less fuel, the water doesn't add any energy to the system. Adding water can slightly increase efficiency, but not much, and at much lower than 60:40 ratio. http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1440
:oops: Shows what I know. I always chuck more in that 10% result!
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun May 01, 2016 12:40 am

Aushiker wrote:Massdrop have a drop on the EmberLit FireAnt Titanium wood stove. Potentially US$54.99 so not a great saving.
Did that include postage?

I spotted it for 43.24 uk pounds delivered to Au approx here:

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/embe ... 7276-p.asp

$83.05 Au?

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Sun May 01, 2016 7:06 am

That was for the steel model. Bushcraft do the titanium model for 70£
Go!Run!GAH!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun May 01, 2016 10:07 am

Aushiker wrote:With cycling or bushwalking you really want foods with a focus on protein and energy as that is what you are going to need day in day out and in the lightest form, which generally means dry.
Dry foods are all well and good, but when out for a 4-6 week outback tour and shopping in the store at Oodnadatta or Finke, you will have a somewhat limited choice. In particular your rolled oats for breakfast, or rice for dinner may only be available in 5kg sacks; if you're lucky you will find a 1kg bag. And forget about any nice vegetables. Dehy meals? Nup!

Beggars can't be choosers, we just had to deal with what we could get, and often this was not the lightest weight in food.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun May 01, 2016 10:30 am

I agree il Padrone,

Those ready just add water meals might be ok for an overnighter or two but extended touring it'd end up being very expensive plus you'll get sick of eating them.....it's not great for what I understand...just quick n easy. They use a lot of processed meat in those bags too which are not really great for you and full of sodium. I couldn't imagine the veggies being very fresh out there also.

I guess you'd have to rely on truck stops and pubs out there for any kind of meal....but if free camping, what else is out there unless you know your bush tucker?

Maybe that's something worth researching on it's own...bush tucker...what's safe and what's not, how to recognise....maybe how to hunt small critters....dunno if I'd be hard core enough to kill one :lol: let alone eat the damn thing!!
I'm ok with fishing and killing/cooking those.
In regards to camp cookers, Anthonyo mentioned in his post about the mini Trangia...I had a look at those but preferred the slightly larger 27-2 and even though larger, those front ortleib bags have a fair bit of room in them, I don' think i'd be too large considering all the gear fits into each other.I missed out on the Anaconda special at $95 so i'll await for it to com around again.

cheers

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun May 01, 2016 1:09 pm

Cheesewheel wrote:That was for the steel model. Bushcraft do the titanium model for 70£
I missed that due to not realising that there were two models. :oops:

Thanks for pointing it out. :)