Camping Gear Specials

Leaf T

Re: Camping Gear Specials

Postby Leaf T » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:38 pm

I better join Massdrop and buy one of those mats you posted earlier. My Exped Synmat has started the dreaded delaminating. So far only one length closest to pump/valve. It surprised me a bit. I thought someone had kicked the side of my tent the way it popped.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:05 am

Another option for the chair lovers; the Alite Mantis Chair is available at Massdrop. Looking at a price of $126 which seems a lot for a chair but.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:02 pm

For those of us always looking for lighter, space saving options these UltrAspire C2 Collapsible cups might be of interest. There is a drop on them at Massdrop at a possible low price of US$22.99 + postage of $8.00. The drop is not getting much support but so that may be an indication the pricing/concept is not one worth considering.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:57 pm

Massdrop has a drop on Byer of Maine TriLite Stools. US$13.99 + 21.75 postage.

Source: Massdrop
Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:42 pm

Uniqlo Men's Ultra Light down Jackets - $39.90 (RRP $119.9) [in-Store Only]

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/293257

http://www.uniqlo.com/au/store/men-ultr ... 80012.html
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Warin

Postby Warin » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:21 pm

rifraf wrote:Uniqlo Men's Ultra Light down Jackets - $39.90 (RRP $119.9) [in-Store Only]

20/2/17 Sydney, went to;
4.30 pm Macquarie Centre store, 5 pm Chatswood store ..
both stores have the jacket and lots of stock... at full price of $119.

Both these stores will be closed 21/2/17 for stock taking.

If you want to check .. then phone them first unless you are passing.

The uniqlo link is for father's day ...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:11 am

Warin wrote:
rifraf wrote:Uniqlo Men's Ultra Light down Jackets - $39.90 (RRP $119.9) [in-Store Only]

20/2/17 Sydney, went to;
4.30 pm Macquarie Centre store, 5 pm Chatswood store ..
both stores have the jacket and lots of stock... at full price of $119.

Both these stores will be closed 21/2/17 for stock taking.

If you want to check .. then phone them first unless you are passing.

The uniqlo link is for father's day ...
Apologies Warin.

When I posted the link, there was no mention of any date regarding the sale.

I assumed the sale had already started. :oops:

Ozbargain site is usually pretty good at posting such important things like dates

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:48 pm

For the chair around the campfire fans, Massdrop have a drop on the Alite Mantis chair. Looking at AU$106 or thereabouts delivered.

Andrew

tmac100

Postby tmac100 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:11 pm

I think I am going to stop using MassDrop. I just joined the drop for the Primus Omnilite Ti stove!. I have an almost identical Kovea stove with my son in Canada. Not to be outdone by carrying a fuel bottle for "shellite", I recently got a Kovea remote Spider stove with adapters for 3 different types of Gas cannisters - with the idea of using it in Iceland and Europe with gas canisters.

Then of course I have 2 MSR stoves and the Svea-based SIGG cookset- my old relaible for touring outback OZ.

I think it really is like a woman buying shoes: different ones for different situations. But for my Cape York trip this new stove (or my SIGG) and a campfire will probably be best. But then what do I know?

Anyone know if "shellite" is available in places like Coen or Weipa :?:

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:24 pm

I've stopped visiting Massdrop so I don't keep buying stuff. But I think many/most of us have a stove collection. I have six.

Who knows what fuel will be available on the Cape at any particular time, but if you take the new Primus it would be a small imposition to take the Spider as backup..
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

tmac100

Postby tmac100 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:17 am

Thanks, Ron, for the advice. Since my travelling companion is a former Girl Guide leader (and I am a former Queen's Scout) the campfire is always an alternative - :wink: - Keeping in mind the safety aspects of starting open fires during the 'dry' on/in Cape York.

By the way, after the Cape York trip maybe we should have another "brekky meeting" in Brizzy, like in 2014, I think it was...

Warin

Postby Warin » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:04 am

tmac100 wrote:Anyone know if "shellite" is available in places like Coen or Weipa :?:
Phone? From the web 'phone book' ;
The Big Shed Cooktown Produce & Hardware 16 Howard St, Cooktown QLD (07) 4043 0400
Clark P & G E Food &/or General Stores - Regent St, Coen QLD (07) 4060 1144
Armbrust & Co Food &/or General Stores - 32 Regent St, Coen QLD (07) 4060 1134

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:26 pm

tmac100 wrote:Thanks, Ron, for the advice. Since my travelling companion is a former Girl Guide leader (and I am a former Queen's Scout) the campfire is always an alternative - :wink: - Keeping in mind the safety aspects of starting open fires during the 'dry' on/in Cape York.

By the way, after the Cape York trip maybe we should have another "brekky meeting" in Brizzy, like in 2014, I think it was...
Hehe - I'm wondering if the season is ever going to change. It's the middle of autumn - usually the nicest time of year in Brisbane but the heat and humidity have not eased at all. And now we have ex- tropical cyclone Debbie to deal with. The entire south-east Queensland region has been shut down - schools, offices, workplaces closed and people sent home before the arrival of predicted heavy rainfall which will likely cause flooding and road closures.

So I don't know how "dry" the dry is is likely to be. :)

If you are passing through, another brekky in Brizzy would be a pleasure Ken.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

tmac100

Postby tmac100 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:57 pm

Heya Ron and Warin...

I watch the news and have a daily read of the full version of The Australian for "news". It is a perk from the college library. Tropical storm Debbie reminds me of the utility of shipping containers for storm-proof structures. As long as too many holes are not cut into "the box", they are built to withstand a lot of storm forces. But then you still have to deal with the issue of a LOT of rain. I find 200 mm hard to visualize and I have been in monsoon rains in SE Asia.

Yes, living in the tropics can be dangerous during storm season, but then having spent a decade away from Canada and winters, I have given up on retiring there and will forgo 6 MONTHS of snow, temps going regularly down to lower than -20C and... I will take warmer climates for retirement and travel. No more snowmobiling and ice fishing for me :roll:

One of the great treats about coming to bicycle tour in an Australian "winter" is that the weather is above zero and often above 10C. Safe wild camping, safe food and drink (Montezuma has not yet arrived in OZ), and folks always asking "You 'right?" A pretty good place to tour. Yes, who knows what will happen with this dry season in Cape York, but if still wetter than normal there are LOTS of other places to bicycle tour.

Besides the temperate climes in OZ, there is always quick, accurate, and useful info freely given (thank-you Warin). Minimal B.S. when I am touring and ask for info. If folks don't know they usually say so.

Warin

Postby Warin » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:16 pm

tmac100 wrote:Tropical storm Debbie reminds me of the utility of shipping containers for storm-proof structures.
At 200 kmh the wind can blow a shipping contain a fair distance.
tmac100 wrote:As long as too many holes are not cut into "the box", they are built to withstand a lot of storm forces. But then you still have to deal with the issue of a LOT of rain. I find 200 mm hard to visualize and I have been in monsoon rains in SE Asia.
Park it on the side of a hill, seek the flood height for a 100 year flood and get yourself, say, 10 meters above that ... put it up off the ground or run a good trench (really big spoon drain) around it for drainage. It is not the amount of rain, but how fast it falls and how fast you can get it away from you.
Bolt it down on deep foundations to keep the wind from blowing it away. And then add insulation and a tropical roof.
tmac100 wrote: If folks don't know they usually say so.
I don't know if you can get shellite where you going ....but I know how to use the web 'phone book' to find the phone numbers to find out.

--------- Forgot Wepia

Woolworths Central Ave, Weipa QLD ph: (07) 4082 4200
Wollies usually have it. Bunnings is cheaper though. But no hardware store found ...

Past experience at buying meths for the trangia .. it may not be on the shelf - you may have to ask for it ... avoids the sniffers. Don't know if they go for shellite but you never know.

tmac100

Postby tmac100 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:20 pm

Yes, Warin, it would not surprise me if folks sniffed shellite. When teaching in northern Manitoba (Canada) kids stole "Plastic Wood" from a hardware store, put it in a paper bag and sniffed the fumes. Yuk! In a fly-in community about 150 km from where I worked, the locals sniffed "gasoline" back in the 1970s when it was $5 an Imperial galon. Now, with litres, they still sniff it... even though alcohol is more easily obtained...

Yes, any shelter made of a cobntainer should be bolted down - either a strong foundation or on concrete pillars that are maybe 3 meters into the soil. Common sense to do that and provide drainage etc...

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:47 am

Massdrop currently has a lifestraw filtration bag up for grabs ($94 usd to oz pp). Apparently it is especially good for filtering muddy water, easy to clean (as in 10 seconds easy ) and can do 18 000 litres and doesn't require any replacement parts.

Go!Run!GAH!

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:12 am

Just got me one of these: https://www.ebay.com.au/p/genuine-kovea ... 7675.l2644 Somebody gave us a bunch of cylinders so thought I'd use them up.
Seems to be OK. Can be run with a heat shield to increase efficiency and run with the cylinder inverted in very cold weather. Took about 5 minutes to boil a litre of water from 17Deg indoors without a heat shield. Simmers well too. Fits in a litre pot with a 230g gas cylinder.

petie

Postby petie » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:00 am

Trevtassie wrote:Just got me one of these: https://www.ebay.com.au/p/genuine-kovea ... 7675.l2644 Somebody gave us a bunch of cylinders so thought I'd use them up.
Seems to be OK. Can be run with a heat shield to increase efficiency and run with the cylinder inverted in very cold weather. Took about 5 minutes to boil a litre of water from 17Deg indoors without a heat shield. Simmers well too. Fits in a litre pot with a 230g gas cylinder.
I've been using one of these for a while, love the stability over a direct screw on type. Efficiency definitely increases with a shield, and you have no dramas about the canister overheating!!

maxknott

Postby maxknott » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:44 pm

A cheaper alternative to the helinox chairhttp://www.mountaindesigns.com/store/pr ... king-chair lots cheaper,feels stronger and slightly more compact

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu May 18, 2017 8:01 pm

$20 off $100 Spend at Mountain Designs

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/307874

As spotted on the Ozbargain site today (says it ends 21st May so 3 days)

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu May 18, 2017 8:09 pm

Garmin Oregon 600t GPS with TOPO Mapping 45% off - $369 with FREE Shipping (RRP $649) (AT) Johnny Appleseed GPS

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/307845

I know nothing about the model, merely saw the listing on Ozbargain site and thought I'd share

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:41 am

Xiaomi 10000mAh Power Bank 2 (Bi-Directional QC 2.0) $26.39 Delivered (AU Stock) (AT) Shopping Square eBay

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/310380

Coupon: CRACKA20

As spotted on Ozbargain site/

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:59 pm

Mountain Designs Outlet - 20% Storewide (Free Shipping over $100)

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/316173

Note: "Need to join the Mountain Designs Alliance Club, which is free to join."

As spotted on the Ozbargain site

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:34 pm

rifraf wrote:Mountain Designs Outlet - 20% Storewide (Free Shipping over $100)

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/316173

Note: "Need to join the Mountain Designs Alliance Club, which is free to join."

As spotted on the Ozbargain site
It let me checkout with the discount without joining the alliance club