The new and interesting touring gear thread...

RonK

The new and interesting touring gear thread...

Postby RonK » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:51 pm

For those who cannot tour without a chair, here is a new offering. It's made by the manufacturers of DAC tent poles, so it ought to be strong. The Helinox Chair One.

It weighs 850g and has an impressive maximum load rating of 145kg.
Last edited by RonK on Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

maxknott

Re: The new and interesting gear thread...

Postby maxknott » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:32 am

where can this be purchased from ron ?? looks good

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:32 am

maxknott wrote:where can this be purchased from ron ?? looks good
Seems you can order online from the Oz web site. $89 including shipping.

http://http://www.helinox.com.au/pages/ ... ir-one.asp

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:23 am

Here's a new device, the Powertrekk portable fuel cell that is about to hit the market. Report by Gizmag here.

The spin:
MyFC PowerTrekk uses eco-friendly fuel cell technology which cleanly and efficiently converts hydrogen into electricity. The ability to simply insert a PowerPukk fuel pack and add water provides users instant and limitless power on the go.

Unlike solar chargers, fuel cell power is generated quickly (no waiting for sun harvesting) and reliably (speed of charging not impacted by weather, solar position etc. and no power degradation like batteries).

At the heart of PowerTrekk is myFC’s proprietary FuelCellSticker technology. Made from foils and adhesives, these FuelCellStickers form a flexible assembly less than 2.75mm thick. Since the hydrogen fuel can be supplied from several alternative sources, the system is “flexifuel”.

The fuel cell inside PowerTrekk is a completely passive system. Without fans or pumps, the fuel cell silently converts hydrogen into electricity via its Proton Exchange Membrane.
The chemistry process is safe, controllable and eco-friendly, and the only bi-product from the fuel cell is a little water vapor. To operate, hydrogen must be supplied to the fuel cell, and the fuel cell must be exposed to the open air.
The fuel cell charger is electronic waste and will be part of an industry program for recycling. The fuel pack is part of an industry program for reusing its materials and is made of coated can materials which prevent corrosion and leakage of chemicals.

PowerTrekk and PowerPukk meet industry security standards and can be brought on an airplane passenger cabin.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:39 pm

http://ktrmurali.wordpress.com/tag/powerpukk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Expected price of $US200-300 and a cost of $US4 per Powerpukk. One Powerpukk will recharge two smartphones. $2 per recharge starts to look like mighty expensive power supply :(
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:10 pm

il padrone wrote:http://ktrmurali.wordpress.com/tag/powerpukk/
Expected price of $US200-300 and a cost of $US4 per Powerpukk. One Powerpukk will recharge two smartphones. $2 per recharge starts to look like mighty expensive power supply :(
I think its dear too but how many people wouldnt think of spending the money to buy a dynamo hub because "its dear". The smaller the niche market the more premium the price it appears. Amongst the few people I know in WA, many were completely astounded by my purchasing an E-werk and its cache battery. I think its swings and roundabouts. The Powerpukk isnt on my xmas wishlist but I have to add "yet" as once its become known the price will come down. The technology coming to fruition is just mind-boggling to me. I can remember laughing at the idea of Star Treks transponders (wireless phones) but now wont be surprised if someone says "beam me up Scottie" and they disappear. :shock:
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that its going to be an accountant wearing a bespoke suit that utters that famous quote :lol:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:00 pm

Gee, remote tyre pressure sensing on my phone - I'll have to have that. :)

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:36 pm

RonK wrote:Gee, remote tyre pressure sensing on my phone - I'll have to have that. :)
Actually, that is one very cool idea. I have ant+ on the smartphone and i'd use something like this to check the tyre pressures before heading out, rather than attaching the pump every 2-3 days on the road bike.

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:27 pm

Big_Red wrote:
RonK wrote:Gee, remote tyre pressure sensing on my phone - I'll have to have that. :)
Actually, that is one very cool idea. I have ant+ on the smartphone and i'd use something like this to check the tyre pressures before heading out, rather than attaching the pump every 2-3 days on the road bike.
Isn't that what your thumb is for?

Here's an "interesting" but not necessarily new bit of, er, gear. I've mentioned it around before. The Pinion gearbox provides 18 evenly spaced gears, all internal in the BB space, but requires a custom frame.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:31 am

The Spybike GPS Tracker might help get your stolen bike back...

Or you could use these Infiniti3D fasteners to prevent individual components from being stolen.

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:50 pm

RonK wrote:For those who cannot tour without a chair, here is a new offering. It's made by the manufacturers of DAC tent poles, so it ought to be strong. The Helinox Chair One.

It weighs 850g and has an impressive maximum load rating of 145kg.
Ran into a couple this week on the Rail Trail into Myrtleford napping in these things. My wife and I have placed our order online.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:38 pm

clackers wrote:Ran into a couple this week on the Rail Trail into Myrtleford napping in these things. My wife and I have placed our order online.
Look forward to your feedback.

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:31 pm

Simple and cheap work stand alternative, uncovered in the arrival of my Velo Vision subscription.

http://www.redwoodhire.co.uk/Cyclemate/ ... lemate.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:00 pm

RonK wrote:Or you could use these Infiniti3D fasteners to prevent individual components from being stolen.
Pitlocks also achieve the same results

Mandatory helmet law?

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:00 am

WestcoastPete wrote:Simple and cheap work stand alternative,

http://www.redwoodhire.co.uk/Cyclemate/ ... lemate.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That little website is so descriptive and helpful with the dimensions etc of their product that the only reason I'm not over to my brother's lathe already is that I've already got a (different) stand.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:54 am

Cruise Control is an iPhone app for runners that adjust the tempo of your music to match your pace.

It works either by stride detection or by GPS, so should work for cyclists too. It would be interesting to find out.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:25 pm

This wearable video camera, the Panasonic HX-A100D looks interesting.

More information here at DPReview.

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:07 pm

RonK wrote:Cruise Control is an iPhone app for runners that adjust the tempo of your music to match your pace.

It works either by stride detection or by GPS, so should work for cyclists too. It would be interesting to find out.
I'd like to develop an app that plays Eye of the Tiger when climbing hills.

coyote

Postby coyote » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:44 pm

stinhambo wrote:
RonK wrote:Cruise Control is an iPhone app for runners that adjust the tempo of your music to match your pace.

Like CopperLoad up to Lake Morris? 8)

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:04 pm

stinhambo wrote:

Well this app will do that. I emailed the developer to ask if a bike version will be made. He's focussed on fine-tuning the app, but a bike version will be available in the future. He sent me a link to a review by someone who is already using it on a bike. It's an interesting site, called NYVelocity.

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:36 pm

coyote wrote:
stinhambo wrote:

Like CopperLoad up to Lake Morris? 8)
Just for that! It's closed for the rest of the month from Tuesday. Need to explore some local hills methinks!

maxknott

Postby maxknott » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:11 pm

recieved my helinox chair one today, very suprised at the quality and size of the chair.
i'm a big bloke( 6"2", 105kgs) the chair is very comfortable,sturdy and my new favourite piece of kit :D

clackers

Postby clackers » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:55 pm

We got ours, too ... you can see the saving in length over a more traditional fold up chair. This one can go in a pannier.

Some assembly is required when you get to your destination, but the frame sections are all connected with elastic cords like some tent frames are, so it's easy.

Having a back rest is a big improvement!

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:08 pm

clackers wrote:We got ours, too ... you can see the saving in length over a more traditional fold up chair. This one can go in a pannier.
Now that is what makes this chair appealing. I'll have to see what can be jettisoned to make room for one.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:24 pm

My panniers are already full :shock: . The three-legged stool has a nice home in the rack-top dry bag.

That Helinox is nice, but does have a bit of a weight penalty compared to my stool - 850g versus 400g
Mandatory helmet law?