The new and interesting touring gear thread...

Wingnut

Re: The new and interesting gear thread...

Postby Wingnut » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:15 pm

These look interesting...a dynamo light that works with no contact and uses the rim to generate light...

http://www.magniclight.com/MagnicLight/ ... startseite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:19 pm

I've been kinda dissatisfied for some time now with the seat bag I've been using on my touring bikes. It gets in the way when top loading on the rear rack, so I have to carry my top bag cross ways, increasing drag.

Another recent post inspired me to investigate other options, leading to the discovery of the Tallac Kargo.

If it will fit this lot in I'll be happy.

I've ordered a bottle cage and both sized bags.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:11 pm

Wingnut wrote:These look interesting...a dynamo light that works with no contact and uses the rim to generate light...

http://www.magniclight.com/MagnicLight/ ... startseite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Energy is drawn from the rotating bicycle wheels without any physical contacts, and thus without friction.
By god I wish they would not come up with such clap-trap. It makes me very much biased against the product to begin with. It may be quite a good lighting set, but I can't stand marketing liars

Energy = work. There is no getting away from it (unless you're one of the zen free-energy mystic new-agers).
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:11 pm

il padrone wrote:By god I wish they would not come up with such clap-trap. It makes me very much biased against the product to begin with. It may be quite a good lighting set, but I can't stand marketing liars

Energy = work. There is no getting away from it (unless you're one of the zen free-energy mystic new-agers).
Sounds like you're getting a bit long in the tooth there il padrone...us zen free-energy mystic new-agers like to try new gizmo's... [WINKING FACE]

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:33 pm

You'll just need to get used to a fraction of friction then :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:37 pm

How so? There is no contact between the rim or light...I would expect no more than a dynamo front hub.

It's not like its a bottle dynamo making contact with the tyre...

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:16 pm

il padrone wrote:You'll just need to get used to a fraction of friction then :wink:
Well, as long it as it not a fraction too much friction, then at least it won't be a Crowded House. :lol: :lol: :lol:

m@

Postby m@ » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:11 pm

il padrone wrote:
Energy is drawn from the rotating bicycle wheels without any physical contacts, and thus without friction.
By god I wish they would not come up with such clap-trap. It makes me very much biased against the product to begin with. It may be quite a good lighting set, but I can't stand marketing liars

I'm not sure what the problem is with that statement - it's quite true that the system will not create any additional work due to friction. In fact, they point out that the magnetic induction will create additional work on their website:
there is no friction, hence minimal deceleration
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:23 pm

m@ wrote:I'm not sure what the problem is with that statement - it's quite true that the system will not create any additional work due to friction.
Nothing really, except that it seems to imply that friction is a factor affecting other dynamo powered bicycle lighting systems. This may be true of some dynamos, but certainly not of hub dynamos.

It's disingenous in the same way as Coles advertising that their meat has "no added hormones".

But it's a fine example of lateral thinking, and it would be good to see it developed as a charging system and not just a lighting system.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 pm

m@ wrote:
il padrone wrote:

I'm not sure what the problem is with that statement - it's quite true that the system will not create any additional work due to friction. In fact, they point out that the magnetic induction will create additional work on their website:
there is no friction, hence minimal deceleration
OK, no extra friction. Of course there's no contact, but are you suggesting there is no drag from this electricity generation ?? If so we really must be in the world of free energy.
Mandatory helmet law?

FXST01

Postby FXST01 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:03 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vxHkAQRQUQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:41 pm

http://www.haibike.de/produkte_detail_e ... etail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:17 pm

They call it the XDURO Race 28 :o

That's quite a good joke. You won't be doing too much racing on this bike :lol: :lol:
Mandatory helmet law?

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:05 am

Just what every touring cyclist needs for making those sundowners - a titanium bell that doubles as a shot glass. Might have to get one of these meself... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Get it here...

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:48 am

il padrone wrote:They call it the XDURO Race 28 :o

That's quite a good joke. You won't be doing too much racing on this bike :lol: :lol:
Racing around town? Though with 350W even that wouldn't be legal.

It'd be lots of fun though.
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:19 pm

Zynster wrote:Racing around town? Though with 350W even that wouldn't be legal.
Bit like racing on a tour ... isn't this thread about touring :)

Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:53 pm

At Last - a trigger shifter for Rohloff. Tout Terrain is offering under their Cinq 5 accessories brand the Shift:R, a shifter that can be fitted to both road and flat bars.

More information on the Tout Terrain blog.

here's another pic from the Eurobike display.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:17 pm

The Magellan Cyclo 505 will be released with Australian mapping just in time for Xmas. At last - a bike computer with features of interest to the touring cyclist. Time for me to start dropping a few hints I think...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:19 pm

RonK wrote:The Magellan Cyclo 505 will be released with Australian mapping just in time for Xmas. At last - a bike computer with features of interest to the touring cyclist. Time for me to start dropping a few hints I think...
Out in Europe as the Mio apparently ...

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:45 pm

But does it make me a cup of tea??

I'm evidently not in the market for this as I don't want a device that chooses the desired route for me - I am quite happy to do that myself, I even enjoy this as part of my ride planning and investigation of options. What concerns me more for long tours is the battery life and recharge/replacement options. A proprietary rechargable battery with a life of just 10-15 hrs is poor performance. There seems little detail on what is offered in this regard. I'm much happier with replacable AAs in the Etrex30 that give a 26-30hr life from just two AAs.

I like a good mapping interface with easy controls to scroll the map and locate places. Most of that comes down to the map software rather than the unit.

Cadence, heart-rate sensor, uploadable routes to Facebook or WhatsMyRoute really does nothing for me. Meh!
Mandatory helmet law?

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:38 pm

il padrone wrote:I'm evidently not in the market for this as I don't want a device that chooses the desired route for me - I am quite happy to do that myself, I even enjoy this as part of my ride planning and investigation of options. What concerns me more for long tours is the battery life and recharge/replacement options. A proprietary rechargable battery with a life of just 10-15 hrs is poor performance. There seems little detail on what is offered in this regard. I'm much happier with replacable AAs in the Etrex30 that give a 26-30hr life from just two AAs.
So plan and download a GPX route file just as you do with any other GPS.

As for battery life, it's about the same as an Edge 810. Charging batteries is the reason why I have a dynamo hub - battery life is of no concern. I'll be very happy to have one device that is both navigator and bike computer.

You may have a navigation device that runs on AA batteries, but anything that has the Garmin brand on it won't be passing through my door.
Last edited by RonK on Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:40 pm

Aushiker wrote:
RonK wrote:The Magellan Cyclo 505 will be released with Australian mapping just in time for Xmas. At last - a bike computer with features of interest to the touring cyclist. Time for me to start dropping a few hints I think...
Yeah, but with UK or Euro mapping. I've been waiting to find out if they'd offer Australian mapping, and now they have.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:47 pm

RonK wrote:
Aushiker wrote:
Yeah, but with UK or Euro mapping. I've been waiting to find out if they'd offer Australian mapping, and now they have.
You can use OpenStreetMaps and by the sounds of it, that will be a better option anyway.

Andrew

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:50 am

Might be of interest to someone.

VELOGICAL RIM-DYNAMO

http://www.velogical-engineering.com/rim-dynamo-en

Ricky

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:47 pm

Not something that I'd regard as essential, nor that really grabs me, but some may see it as useful

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/09/ ... sition=CTA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From an outdoor sports perspective, something like this could eventually replace the GoPro, though several manufacturers — both bike industry hardware-makers and POV camera-makers — are currently working on ways Glass can be incorporated into their products.
Mandatory helmet law?