The new and interesting touring gear thread...

RonK

Re: The new and interesting gear thread...

Postby RonK » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:42 am

Some of Ray's statements about the 820 Explore are not correct - in particular that it doesn't have WiFi. According to the Garmin spec sheet it does - in fact it retains the features that a touring cyclist would value.

Of particular interest I thought was the battery save mode which Garmin claim extends battery life up to 50 percent while still tracking ride detail.

If the claimed battery life of up to 15 hours can be extended by 50 percent that would be a boon to cycle tourists.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

avolve

Postby avolve » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:08 pm

The Gamin UI still requires a lot more work. Too many steps, and far from clear/aesthetically pleasing.

I purchased a basic Edge 200(?) a few years back, and it barely gets used based on limited battery life (interface notwithstanding).

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:08 pm

Trevtassie wrote:
avolve wrote:
Trevtassie wrote: Same as a Trangia I guess, what you gain on the swings (size, weight) you lose on the roundabout (needing to carry double the fuel compared to shellite or kero)
I have never taken a Trangia myself. So they use a lot more (double?) fuel?
About that in volume. Maybe a touch less in weight, but then you may need two bottles which tips the scales up again. Depends on your usage, light usage, making the odd cup of tea and re-hydrating a freeze dried something, alcohol is good option, especially if it's a shorter trip where the extra weight penalty of a whisperlite comes in to play. Long trips with heavy usage then Shellite or kero is the go from a weight and space point of view. I've even been known to have a hot shower using my camelback if I'm in the bush for over a week. Luxury.
Never carried any more than one 2L fuel bottle with my Trangia, even on a 3 month tour into the desert. We had to carry up to 6-7 days of food, and fuel. We were cooking together so did carry a stove and fuel bottle each though, and being the outback, often enough we could ease the fuel consumption with a cooking fire - often enough we had a fire for evening light and warmth.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:07 pm

il padrone wrote:
Trevtassie wrote:
avolve wrote:
I have never taken a Trangia myself. So they use a lot more (double?) fuel?
About that in volume. Maybe a touch less in weight, but then you may need two bottles which tips the scales up again. Depends on your usage, light usage, making the odd cup of tea and re-hydrating a freeze dried something, alcohol is good option, especially if it's a shorter trip where the extra weight penalty of a whisperlite comes in to play. Long trips with heavy usage then Shellite or kero is the go from a weight and space point of view. I've even been known to have a hot shower using my camelback if I'm in the bush for over a week. Luxury.
Never carried any more than one 2L fuel bottle with my Trangia, even on a 3 month tour into the desert. We had to carry up to 6-7 days of food, and fuel. We were cooking together so did carry a stove and fuel bottle each though, and being the outback, often enough we could ease the fuel consumption with a cooking fire - often enough we had a fire for evening light and warmth.
I had a chance to compare both, working as a walking track ranger in Tasmania. 9 day stints, carrying everything. Factoring in the starting temperature of the water is important too. If the water is at 8C it takes a shed load more fuel to get it boiling. It was lighter to carry a high kilojoule fuel after about 4 days. When your pack starts at 32kg you get gram conscious. Worst was when I had to carry in some hessian to line a composting toilet cage, 37kg. That sucked.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:08 pm

32 kgs?? Only just over half of what we were pcking on our bikes in Central Australia :P

On a bike the weight significance is much reduced when it is the bike frame that is carrying it. And anyway, on a bike tour alcohol has no weight :P :twisted: :mrgreen:
Mandatory helmet law?

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:20 pm

il padrone wrote:32 kgs?? Only just over half of what we were pcking on our bikes in Central Australia :P

On a bike the weight significance is much reduced when it is the bike frame that is carrying it. And anyway, on a bike tour alcohol has no weight :P :twisted: :mrgreen:
Volume also comes into it. I used 1.5L of shellite for 9 days. 3L of meths takes up a lot of room. Plus I'm an impatient bugger. I like my morning coffee fast!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:23 am

PLENTY of room in six panniers, rack drybag and handlebar bag ;)

Mandatory helmet law?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:12 pm

Rohloff gets hydraulic road & trail shifting with new Bpod psh’R

http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/05/30/roh ... ore-130323

Sorry if its been mentioned before. I tried the search engine without luck but am unsure if its working properly yet.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:43 pm

There is an interesting new tool made by Silca (of frame pump fame) on offer via Kickstarter. I had to have one.

T-Ratchet Multi-Tool and Ti-Torque Travel Torque Extension

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:47 pm

Getting a bit off-topic but we don't have a touring specials thread. Torpedo 7have price reductions on Schwable tyres including touring tyres. Might be some bargains to be had.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:02 pm

Xero Shoes has released the Umara Z-Trail, an ultralight version their popular Umara Z-Trek sandal.

On my next NZ tour later this year I'll have to cross around 30 river fords. The Zem barefoot shoes I used last time were not a success, so I'm going to get a pair of these.

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:12 pm

RonK wrote:There is an interesting new tool made by Silca (of frame pump fame) on offer via Kickstarter. I had to have one.

T-Ratchet Multi-Tool and Ti-Torque Travel Torque Extension

I didn't see this post so I mentioned these items in the tools thread.

The kickstarter buying options require careful reading. The $100 offer that includes the apron does not include the Ti Torque device! Not sure why they offer the T Ratchet without the really interesting torque wrench.

I caught my mistake and changed my pledge choice. I would have been very disappointed otherwise.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:20 pm

Some fancy new fabric in the pipeline it seems. Can charge your phone!

"Scientists invent super thin, flexible fabric that generates electricity from light and movement"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-13/s ... ty/7837744

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:51 am

Pop one of these in the handlebar bag
http://www.spiegel.de/video/russisches- ... 96886.html

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:22 pm

I love these new sandals from Bedrock Sandals...seen several people touring with these. I'm going to order a pair soon for a surfing backpacking trip then use them through summer to ride with...

https://bedrocksandals.com/collections/ ... 0735722630

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:27 am

I'm a sandal wearer when riding. Nothing sporty just a pair of Birkenstock Arizona. A bit heavy but I wear them on and off the bike so worth it especially for the comfort.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:12 pm

I think I'll get me one of these for my Fargo - a bell that rings itself. TIMBER Mountain Bike Bell: The Polite Way to Pass

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:07 pm

Holy cow, look at this. electronic shifting for the masses. I want...

Universal wireless gear shifter

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:10 pm

RonK wrote:Holy cow, look at this. electronic shifting for the masses. I want...

Universal wireless gear shifter

Been giving this some thought I really like the fact you can micro tune it uses USB to charge and in my case get rid of long cables perfect for a recumbent. I'm slowing coming around to this idea and being universal is the clincher.

Good find Ron

Ricky

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:06 pm

But why?

Do you really need it for touring to bikepacking?

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:47 pm

:twisted:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Been giving this some thought I really like the fact you can micro tune it uses USB to charge and in my case get rid of long cables perfect for a recumbent.
Being able to program in sequential shifting could work well for a recumbent.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:24 pm

Wingnut wrote:But why?

Do you really need it for touring to bikepacking?
That was my first thought too. Just another electronic piece that needs charging, another piece of technology that could cause problems and maybe not be simply doubt with out on the road.

Yesterday I was riding into Coolgardie; chain needed lubing. Easily done on the side of the road. Now if this wireless shifting died on me, maybe a seriously bigger problem. Not much help out here.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:44 pm

For those who like chasing the dirt on their touring bike, as I do, these new tyres from Schwalble might be of interest. The tyre in question is the Smart Sam Plus HS 476. Aimed at the e-bike market but I think with cross-over to touring.

avolve

Postby avolve » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:56 pm

RonK wrote:I think I'll get me one of these for my Fargo - a bell that rings itself. TIMBER Mountain Bike Bell: The Polite Way to Pass

Planning on getting one as well

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:44 pm

Aushiker wrote:For those who like chasing the dirt on their touring bike, as I do, these new tyres from Schwalble might be of interest. The tyre in question is the Smart Sam Plus HS 476. Aimed at the e-bike market but I think with cross-over to touring.

I remain convinced that the Mondial continues to be the best tyre Schwalbe has for the combination of dirt and tarmac. Good side knobs for rough stuff; much nicer broad centre pads for tarmac. Some may argue that the closer knobs will clog up in sticky mud, but most tyres will do this, and that scenario is thankfully rare in my experience of touring in the bush.

Mandatory helmet law?