The new and interesting touring gear thread...

Daggo

Re: The new and interesting gear thread...

Postby Daggo » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:42 pm

RonK wrote:
Here is the answer - the Anker 40W 5V / 8A 5-Port Family-Sized Desktop Charger. One of these will definitely be going into my touring kit.

Just get a cheap and simple 4 to 8 port powered USB hub. From $5 and up on Ebay. Most come with a wall wart for 240v and the hubs themselves run off 5v or 12v. That's what I have sitting on the table near the front door. Everyone knows where their phone/ipod/tablet.. is and it only takes up one power point.

Daggo.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:34 pm

Daggo wrote:Just get a cheap and simple 4 to 8 port powered USB hub. From $5 and up on Ebay. Most come with a wall wart for 240v and the hubs themselves run off 5v or 12v. That's what I have sitting on the table near the front door. Everyone knows where their phone/ipod/tablet.. is and it only takes up one power point.
Nope - very few cheap USB powered hubs output any more than 500ma per port. These won't charge even an iPad, let alone an iPad and multiple devices.

There are a few USB powered hubs that have sufficient output, but they are no cheaper than the Anker 40w charger. I've yet to see any USB powered hub with 40w output.

For cycle tourists in particular, the requirement is for a device that has the capacity to charge multiple devices quickly when an opportunity present.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:18 pm

you guys are carrying too many devices.
Me
Kindle. Battery expected life 4 weeks on a long tour sure would need charging but no problems off my Powermonkey
Garmin Edge 810, straight off my B&M Luxos 179U
Ultrabook. Will charge at caravan parks. Actually it takes 10.5V/3.8A. I will have to investigate what else could charge it.

I wish for the days where there was no mobile computers/tablets/phones. Makes it really simple. Only thing you take is physical books and walkman with AA batteries to replace when it dies. These days there is so much variety and configurations, no wonder people get confused easily ;)
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:30 pm

Baalzamon wrote:I wish for the days where there was no mobile computers/tablets/phones. Makes it really simple. Only thing you take is physical books and walkman with AA batteries to replace when it dies.
Crikey, you were touring in the high-tech days! My first big tour away from home was to Tasmania for two and a half weeks. Nav tech was paper maps. Comms tech was a diary, pen and coins for the phone. Banking services was my signature sent on to Bank of Tasmania. I think I probably sent two postcards home in that whole trip. Walkman was a glint in some design engineer's eye :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:24 pm

Baalzamon wrote:you guys are carrying too many devices.
So, you have a Kindle, PowerMonkey, Garmin, and Ultrabook. You don't mention them, but presumably you are also carrying a phone and a camera. And we are carrying too many devices? :lol:
Me
iPad, expected battery life two weeks on a long tour but certain to find a power point sooner, iPhone, Magellan Cyclo, Camera
Baalzamon wrote:I wish for the days where there was no mobile computers/tablets/phones.
I don't believe you - if you really wished for that you would just leave your devices at home. :D

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:04 am

Phone is a Samsung S4 and has a good camera. I'm not a photography so that is good for me, unlike some ppl here on forums. And that is easily charged as well.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:27 pm

No iPad, GPS, or laptop for me...

All I'll take is my iPhone which has enough apps, music etc to get by...maybe another camera depending on where I'm going...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:35 pm

I carry a camera, phone and GPS on most tours. GPS runs on AAs that will last for at least 4-5 days, camera will last for about 4 days on one charge and I carry a second battery. That leaves the phone which will be OK for two days, but I usually recharge it daily. Easily handled with the Powermonkey Extreme if I take it, but I can avoid that need and get much longer life by switching the phone off - just using it when needed and checking for missed calls and messages once a day.

For longer tours (> 1 week) I will also take the Powermonkey Extreme, which has at least three charging options, and either a netbok or iPad. The last few long tours (up to 3 months) I have taken my netbook and had few problems finding power sources to recharge it when required, and then economise on it's use between these to eke out the battery life.
Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:49 pm

New Schwalbe Marathon Plus coming in 2014 according to the latest press release from Schwalbe.

Now Schwalbe is presenting a new version of its Marathon Plus. Despite its thick protective layer, the tyre rolls surprisingly lightly. “Our laboratory test have shown that among tyres with thick puncture protection belts, the Marathon Plus has by far the lightest rolling characteristics", says René Marks.

The side walls have also been optimised. Since the tyre is so substantial, it has often been ridden with too low air pressure. These years of "mishandling" would sometimes lead to cracks in the side walls. Now a special anti-aging technology works to protect the side walls of the Marathon Plus from premature cracking as well as adverse weather conditions. The rubber compound also makes the Marathon worthy of its name: The Endurance Compound rolls for thousands of kilometres with excellent performance characteristics and low abrasion.

The patented ‘Plus’ of the Marathon is still the heart of the tyre: Smart Guard, the protective belt consisting of five millimetre thick natural rubber. The tyre is now partly made from recycled rubber and is therefore resource-friendly.

Press release can be found at http://www.schwalbe.com/en/pressereader ... -less.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:15 pm

Some interesting bag options available from Apidura ...

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:21 pm

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:25 pm

Aushiker wrote:New Schwalbe Marathon Plus coming in 2014 according to the latest press release from Schwalbe.
Video clip of the tyre - not really much new there; it resists punctures very well. It does seem that the weight for 26x1.75" is 995g so they have pruned some 145g off the previous version. Still a big lump IMHO.

Mandatory helmet law?

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:45 pm

Aushiker wrote:Some interesting bag options available from Apidura ...

Andrew
Looks nice but most of that gear and more has been around for awhile by http://www.revelatedesigns.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.porcelainrocket.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like the look of some of the small items from https://www.randijofab.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , hand made by a small co and the price including postage is reasonable...

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:11 pm

not sure if posted up before but...
this
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 411&type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and this
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 411&type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
looks like the final set ups are still being tinkered with but looking good for a off the peg -meet most of the needs for good all round touring.

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:14 pm

[quote="baabaa"]not sure if posted up before but...
this
and this
looks like the final set ups are still being tinkered with but looking good for a off the peg -meet most of the needs for good all round touring.[/quote

Disk bike is gorgeous. Only thing I would change is the bar end shifters.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:16 pm

baabaa wrote:not sure if posted up before but...
this
and this
looks like the final set ups are still being tinkered with but looking good for a off the peg -meet most of the needs for good all round touring.
Hmmmm, so Dirtworks now making their own touring brand.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:19 am

Only thing I would change is the bar end shifters.
Not so sure about that but I really like bar end shifters. Have you used brifters with discs? braking feels like rubbish with bb7s -have used both road and mtn. I think the shifters being speced are microshift which seem to bring in good reports
have a look at this re brifters and braking...
http://g-tedproductions.blogspot.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... wbell.html

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:37 am

Le Mong wrote:Only thing I would change is the bar end shifters.
Yup, me too. Hate 'em.

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:41 am

105 STI and be happy with life :)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:01 pm

RonK wrote:Hmmmm, so Dirtworks now making their own touring brand.
Yes they lost the distribution of Surly and Salsa .... http://bicyclingaustralia.com.au/2014/0 ... bike-brand" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:55 pm

Trinity portable wind turbine ... 30 cm in height, 15 watt generator, 15,000-mAh lithium-polymer battery pack and two USB ports.
The plastic-bodied Trinity is carried as a 12-inch (30.5-cm) cylinder when not in use. When you want to juice it up, you pull out the turbine's three aluminum legs, and prop it up to catch the wind. The legs can be laid flat to form a pedestal, or partially extended to form a tripod base. And yes, it is waterproof (rated to IPX6), should the wind be accompanied by rain.

As the blades turn, they spin an internal 15-watt generator that in turn charges a 15,000-mAh lithium-polymer battery pack. Using one of two USB ports on the bottom of the unit, you can then plug in your phone (or other device) and charge it. According to Skajaquoda, the Minnesota-based company that's developing the Trinity, one full charge of the battery should allow for four to six phone charges – you can also forgo the battery, and charge your phone directly from the generator.
Source: Gizmag

Andrew

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:38 am

Aushiker wrote:Image

Trinity portable wind turbine ... 30 cm in height, 15 watt generator, 15,000-mAh lithium-polymer battery pack and two USB ports.
The plastic-bodied Trinity is carried as a 12-inch (30.5-cm) cylinder when not in use. When you want to juice it up, you pull out the turbine's three aluminum legs, and prop it up to catch the wind. The legs can be laid flat to form a pedestal, or partially extended to form a tripod base. And yes, it is waterproof (rated to IPX6), should the wind be accompanied by rain.

As the blades turn, they spin an internal 15-watt generator that in turn charges a 15,000-mAh lithium-polymer battery pack. Using one of two USB ports on the bottom of the unit, you can then plug in your phone (or other device) and charge it. According to Skajaquoda, the Minnesota-based company that's developing the Trinity, one full charge of the battery should allow for four to six phone charges – you can also forgo the battery, and charge your phone directly from the generator.
Source: Gizmag

Andrew
If I hooked that up to the top of my trike to replace my safety flag I could almost have a perpetual motion machine
(Do they sell it in high viz?)
:D

(on the down side, production seems questionable since other references to experimental models in the article, namely the Orange Wind Charger, the HYmini or the Powertraveller (some of which have been in the works for 7 years) aren't even commercially available yet :cry: .... (although the orange wind charger would certainly look spiffy on the front of a velomobile)

Last edited by Cheesewheel on Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go!Run!GAH!

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:51 am

Teva pivot clipless shoes seem like a good acquisition it your touring involves a substantial amount of walking

http://flowmountainbike.com/tests/teste ... ess-shoes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Currently on special with the code "shoes" from Jenson for around $150 AUD inc postage
Go!Run!GAH!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:02 am

Aushiker wrote:Trinity portable wind turbine ... 30 cm in height, 15 watt generator, 15,000-mAh lithium-polymer battery pack and two USB ports.
Mandatory helmet law?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:09 am

Powertraveller is offering pre-orders now for the Powertraveller Expedition, so we might assume that commercial release is closer ??

https://www.powertraveller.com/expeditionvideo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mandatory helmet law?