The new and interesting touring gear thread...

baabaa

Re: The new and interesting gear thread...

Postby baabaa » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:17 pm

Well, if shopping still came in big brown paper bags, I would be happy to wear that on my head of the rest of the day. Lucky I can keep bookmarks with all things on the internets in just this one spot.... Expect more of my errors to be pushed out here in the future.
I still do like the green stuff.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:22 pm

Well, it doesn't surprise me that you didn't see it or don't remember it.

But I am surprised that CX Magazine is so far behind the times.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:43 pm

RonK wrote:
baabaa wrote:Finally, no reservoir, adjustable and not self adjusting hydro; looks the goods to me as I do like to dial in my brakes in regarding to on road and off road and then if wet and muddy or just dusty or sandy (also keen on cable for the no fuss when levers are pranged and less parts to lug about)

New Product Spotlight: Yokozuna Motoko Cable-Pull Hydraulic Disc Brake
https://www.cxmagazine.com/yokozuna-mot ... el-caliper
Nothing new about these - they are simply a rebranding of the Juin Tech R1 brakes I posted about here more than a year ago.
What is new is that the hydro doesn't require bleeding ... which is why the brake pads don't self adjust with wear.
IMHO this is a plus for the touring side (assuming there isn't some dud feature about the sealed hydro fluid suddenly becoming unsealed) since bleeding hydros or dealing with the seal on a compromised hose line west of whoop whoop could potentially offer more butt pain than a poorly adjusted Essax Shark saddle
Go!Run!GAH!

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:11 pm

Cheesewheel wrote:What is new is that the hydro doesn't require bleeding ...
What is "different" about them is that they are a closed system.

There is nothing "new" about them - they first appeared more than two years ago at Interbike in September 2014 under the Ashima brand.

I discovered them being marketed as the Juin Tech R1 during my Salsa Fargo build and posted about them in July 2015. I would have used them on the Fargo build if I hadn't already sourced TRP Spyres.

Now they have turned up as yet another brand - Yokozuna

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:32 pm

Another double - post deleted.
Last edited by RonK on Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:59 am

juin's brake pads recentre automatically (and require bleeding)

"There is a finger-nut on the calliper body for adjusting the bite point of the brakes – being hydraulic, they'll automatically re-centre the pads as they wear, but it's useful to have this manual adjuster for bite point."

Can't find much info on the ashima's but it seems they are also capable of being bled (found a review that says they "should" not require to be bled upon installation and also a few forum references talking about them being a pain in the butt to bleed (although its not clear whether they are talking from experience or merely speculating or talking about their experiences servicing a trp hy-rd and assuming these suffer the same issues)

The review of the yokozuna's clearly states that the pads require manual readjustment due to the closed hydro system and says the need for bleeding is "largely eliminated".

Maybe there is a similarity between the yokozunas and the ashimas (there is some suggestion that the ashimas has distribution issues .. which accounts for the sparseness of info about them on the net) but the juin (and moreso the trp hy-rd) are certainly different in that their pads are self centering ... which seems to suggest there is a slight difference in the degree that their hydro systems can be categorized as "closed"

Do you know whether the ashima's brake pads are self adjusting?
Go!Run!GAH!

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:46 am

You are arguing about semantics and forum speculation when all three are clearly the same brake. There plenty of pictures on the web that make it clear all three are identical in every dimension.

All three are closed systems - they do not have a separate master cylinder with hose connections so do not require bleeding.

The review link you provided for the Juin Tech R1 explicitly stated that they don't require bleeding. And the link you provided on the Ashima is not a review, it is simply speculation after the product announcement.

All three are dual piston hydraulic calipers, so all three are self-centering.

None have a fluid reservoir to compensate for pad wear. Manual adjustment of the piston stroke is required to compensate, and that is why all three have the identical adjuster knob on the right of the pictures.
Last edited by RonK on Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:05 am

Here's some more speculation from BikeRumour - who also remember them as Ashima.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:14 am

I also encountered the same article ... which seems to suggest the ashima may be just the yokozuna without distribution issues ... its a bit hard to tell since there's practically no info on the ashimas anywhere.

At least the yokozuma's review says the brake pads require manual adjustment and the juin's say they adjust automatically.

This feature to adjust automatically (such as with the trp hy-rd) seems to be unique to calipers that require regular bleeding (at least the hy-rd is quite clear in this regard ... even though it doesn't have separate hose fittings etc)

Granted that from a certain perspective they all appear visually similsr but, contrary to the popular addage, seeing is not always believing.

At one stage I was interested in the trp hy-rds but got turned off by the bleeding aspect. finding out that there may be an alternative , even if it comes at the expense of auto adjustment, has revived my interest in the subject.

I guess what this discussion is really missing are pdf tech infos (such as you can find with the trp hy-rd) for the said callipers
Go!Run!GAH!

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:13 pm

Cheesewheel wrote:At least the yokozuma's review says the brake pads require manual adjustment and the juin's say they adjust automatically.
Err, no. The reveiw does not say the Juins adjust automatically - it says they re-centre automatically. That is typical of dual piston hydraulic caliper designs, for obvious reasons.
Cheesewheel wrote:This feature to adjust automatically (such as with the trp hy-rd) seems to be unique to calipers that require regular bleeding (at least the hy-rd is quite clear in this regard ... even though it doesn't have separate hose fittings etc)
No again - it is typical of a brake with a fluid reservoir from which it is able to draw extra fluid into the master cyclinder on the back stroke to compensate for pad wear. The TRP HYRD's have such a fluid reservoir (as do brake systems with the master cylinder in the brake lever.

The Ashimas, Juins and Yokozunas do not. To compensate for pad wear it's necessary to adjust the master cylinder piston stroke, hence the adjuster knob you see on the right of the pictures. But we've already been through this.

The absence of a spec sheets is of no particular hindrance - it's obvious that the Ashima R1, Juin Tech R1 and Yokozuma Motoko are all brands of the identical caliper.

pbekkerh

A Rohloff substitute from Norway

Postby pbekkerh » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:34 am

Kindernay XIV
The K’ay XIV is a new internal gear hub, the first internal gear hub designed to accommodate a 12mm through-bolt. At 1400 grams, it’s the lightest full-range 14-speed gear hub on the market. This is made possible by our innovative and advanced planetary gear design, which yields a total of 14 speeds out of just three simple planetary series. To make the technology practical, we designed the XIV with a wide gear range of 543% between the first and fourteenth speed, and even 13.9% gear intervals.

The fully laced wheel can easily be removed from the gear mechanisms, and switched for a different wheel and rim. For example, changes between different width rims (wide/narrow), changes between racing and training rim sets, or move the gearbox to a bike with different wheel size (e.g. 29″/650,26″), or replace any broken part, a wheel with a flat tyre etc.

http://www.kindernay.com/products/

Ghost SE7000
PlanetX Exocet
Colnago Sprint 1986
Solio 1910
Boreas Aër 2003
Bike Friday Tikit
Trailer Extrawheel I & II

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:49 am

I'm all over a pair of these for my touring toolkit. Clever Standard

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:34 am

Clever idea. They look easier to use than the Park tool I bought.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:50 pm

I spotted talk in another bicycle forum about safety taps for mudguards to release when jammed via a stick etc.

These got good mention.

https://ridepdw.com/collections/fenders ... 4829153601

They appear to be known, sold on sites like Charliethebikemonger, so sorry if they've already had a mention.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:08 am

I don't know how new this is, but it certainly an interesting and useful addition to my bike packing kit since my original travel razor is no longer sold. Carzor

I'll add a tiny bottle of Somersets Shaving Oil to go along with it.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:49 pm

The blurb ....
The XeroVest is a highly portable, inflatable, air-insulated emergency garment. Weighing only 2 oz. (57g), the vest is made up of a network of cross-connected cells which are inflated through a simple one-way mouthpiece on the vest’s collar. Inflating the vest creates a warm, insulating layer of trapped air, while conforming to the shape of the wearer. This insulates the wearer’s body core while allowing moist air to escape through the vest's integrated vent holes.

The interior surface of the vest is mirrored and thermally reflective — keeping body heat trapped next to the user, and preventing as much as 80% to 90% of radiant heat loss.
Further details at http://www.xero-gear.com/
Andrew

Warin

Postby Warin » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:07 pm

I though the above was going to be the bicycle equivalent of the motorcycle airbag vest ... inflates if the rider separates from the bike (without undoing the tether.
e.g. http://www.bikebone.com/hit-air-airbag-vests-jackets/

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:21 pm

RonK wrote:I'm all over a pair of these for my touring toolkit. Clever Standard
They arrived this week. Bike Rumour said they were made of plastic, but they are very solid and it seems to me like they are actually made of aluminium.

They do nest together very nicely - and work very well for opening chain powerlinks.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:00 pm

Way back I posted about the Anker 5-port 40W charger. At the time they were difficult to source as there was no Australian reseller.

I bought one to take touring, but with more and more devices at home it's become a permanent fixture on my office desk.

So I'm about to go on tour again and want my charger back. Fortunately Anker has since released a 6-port 60W charger and I've found an Australian eBay merchant. It's slightly larger, so this one will stay at home.

$49.95, postage free.

Anker PowerPort 60 W 6-Port USB Charger with PowerIQ AU plug 18 mth warranty

uad782

Postby uad782 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:16 pm

Ron,

Do you trust the product is genuine? Can I also assume you use a cheap us to au adapter?

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:39 pm

uad782 wrote:Ron,

Do you trust the product is genuine? Can I also assume you use a cheap us to au adapter?
I am absolutely certain it is genuine.

Right now it is charging two iPads, two iPhones, an Apple watch and a Polar V650.

I don't need an adaptor. It's Australian stock and has the right plug.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:15 am

So, how much do you think it weighs and how robust is it?

De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:27 am

It weighs 2 pounds - around 1kg according the interweb.

Doesn't look like it has gone into production, so durabilty is as yet unknown.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:39 am

Hmmm, that's not bad given it has the integrated battery. I'm interested!
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon May 15, 2017 1:39 pm

I was interested in an article in todays news, as reported on the ABC website.
It seems very thin Solar Panel has been developed which will likely see a lot of new developments in the field of solar power.

The implications of this thin and light panelling suggest some of this continuing developing will see positive outcomes for cycle touring.

Early days yet:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-15/p ... st/8526868
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.