The new and interesting gear thread...

Re: The new and interesting gear thread...

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:53 am

Wingnut wrote:Finally ordered a Paul Components "Tall & Handsome" seat post as I like my Brooks B17 saddle but the fore & aft adjustment on them is awful...this will make life a bit better...

That will make life easy for setting the B17 nice and level. I've got a Cane Creek Thudbuster LT and the adjustment on it is so simple to get level.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

by BNA » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:06 am

BNA

Postby kx315 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:06 am

kx315

Postby Cheesewheel » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:06 pm

kx315 wrote:http://flowmountainbike.com/post-all/innovation-saddle-selection-app-unveiled/

Worth a look.

I just ordered one. The manufacturers are doing a 24 hour 10% promotional discount withe the code 10-OFF
GO!! Run!!! GAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Cheesewheel

Postby il padrone » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:06 pm

:oops: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, now what day is it again?????

Good one though.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Le Mong » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:03 pm

New kit day

Le Mong

Postby RonK » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:59 am

A couple of new products from Helinox - the subject of my original posting on this thread. Both look very appealing, but neither are available to order just yet.

First is the Ground Chair - an even more minimalist version of the Chair One but with bag at 580g about 300g lighter. It looks like it would be a little more stable but I think I'd struggle to get out of it as it hard enough getting out of the Chair One.

Then there is the Cot One camp bed. At only 2kg and with a capacity of 150kg, could this be the cycle tourist's answer to leaky inflatable matresses?

So, you can have your choice of chairs, a table and a cot - all at just a smidge over 3.5kg.

What's next? :D
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby il padrone » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:29 pm

RonK wrote:Then there is the Cot One camp bed. At only 2kg and with a capacity of 150kg, could this be the cycle tourist's answer to leaky inflatable matresses?

2kgs?

I'll take my 800g Exped inflatable mat that has never failed on me in over 3 years of use, thanks.

BTW we have used stretchers similar to this (but steel so heavier) and found that even on cool nights in summer you can lose quite a bit of heat from below - your insulating sleeping bag is compressed beneath your body. The only way to comfortably use a stretcher in colder climes is to have an insulating layer beneath you - a closed cell mat or a Thermarest. Pretty pointless for lightweight camping IMHO.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

The new and interesting gear thread...

Postby RonK » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:33 pm

il padrone wrote:
RonK wrote:Then there is the Cot One camp bed. At only 2kg and with a capacity of 150kg, could this be the cycle tourist's answer to leaky inflatable matresses?

2kgs?

I'll take my 800g Exped inflatable mat that has never failed on me in over 3 years of use, thanks.

BTW we have used stretchers similar to this (but steel so heavier) and found that even on cool nights in summer you can lose quite a bit of heat from below - your insulating sleeping bag is compressed beneath your body. The only way to comfortably use a stretcher in colder climes is to have an insulating layer beneath you - a closed cell mat or a Thermarest. Pretty pointless for lightweight camping IMHO.

Yeah, but as I recall you were unimpressed by the chair and the table at first, but don't you have both now? :D
RonK

Postby il padrone » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:46 pm

Always liked the chair, since even before I tried a mate's one, over 12 months back. I've used a camp stool for the past 16 years. No interest in the table, do not possess one.

Like I said, I have a stretcher. It requires use with a Thermarest to stay warm and sleep comfy. This one will be no different.
il padrone

Postby alfine8 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:06 pm

That jogs my memory from around 1984/1985 some time. I was on my way up from Hobart to Queenstown, and camped at a country school yard with a trampoline. I thought that this will be comfortable, and jumped in my sleeping bag, but I was cold all night with the breeze coming up from below.

It's amazing how the memory works, especially when I thought I had lost it.
alfine8

Postby petie » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:48 pm

RonK wrote:A couple of new products from Helinox - the subject of my original posting on this thread. Both look very appealing, but neither are available to order just yet.

First is the Ground Chair - an even more minimalist version of the Chair One but with bag at 580g about 300g lighter. It looks like it would be a little more stable but I think I'd struggle to get out of it as it hard enough getting out of the Chair One.

Then there is the Cot One camp bed. At only 2kg and with a capacity of 150kg, could this be the cycle tourist's answer to leaky inflatable matresses?

So, you can have your choice of chairs, a table and a cot - all at just a smidge over 3.5kg.

What's next? :D

I own one of these, http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/cots/category and at 1.25kg I think a better option than the helinox cot. Admittedly I wouldn't use it if I was close to 150kgs though!

I acknowledge that a cot is not the warmest option, but I have used mine down to 10 degrees with no problem or change to my sleeping gear. And it is infinitely more comfortable than anything I have tried that packs as light or as small.
petie

Postby il padrone » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:24 pm

Last edited by il padrone on Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
il padrone

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:30 pm

il padrone wrote:
petie wrote:I own one of these, http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/cots/category and at 1.25kg I think a better option than the helinox cot.

Link isn't working for me :?

Works for me.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

Postby iacl » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:40 pm

Re: Cot One, RRP of $398. Wondering where it plugs in for the morning coffee.
2012 VWR : )
iacl

Postby Aushiker » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:15 am

One for the fat bike tourist amongst others ... Robert Axles now allow you to use your 142x12mm thru axle equipped bike with a variety of applications.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby RonK » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:51 am

RonK wrote:I've ordered a couple of these couple of Spurcycle ringers...

Somebody called them "bells for adults".

Well, I'd almost forgotten them, it's taken so long for delivery. But it seems this is commonplace with kickstarter projects.

Picked them up from the PO on the way to work, so not fitted to the bike yet, but they are indeed beautifully made and have a gorgeous tone. They are also quite compact so will fit nicely on my bars.
RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:31 pm

OK, now we are dependent on electronics, keeping them all charged whether at home, in the office or on the road has become problematic.

Consider that many cyclists will now be using a cycle computer, front and rear lights, smartphone, and tourists may also be carrying an iPad, camera, and an auxilliary battery, all charged via USB.

Charging them all in a short time requires a lot of chargers and power points. What's needed is a USB power board, with a least some ports with 2 amp output to charge tablet devices.

Here is the answer - the Anker 40W 5V / 8A 5-Port Family-Sized Desktop Charger. One of these will definitely be going into my touring kit.

RonK

Postby il padrone » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:10 pm

I've bought this one from Kogan.

il padrone

Postby Aushiker » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:36 pm

il padrone wrote:I've bought this one from Kogan.

Hopefully someone can clarify but I suspect as soon as two more more devices are plugged in the charge rate drops right off which for tablet users could be an issue whereas the one Ron mentions has a lot more amps.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby RonK » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:26 pm

Aushiker wrote:
il padrone wrote:I've bought this one from Kogan.

Hopefully someone can clarify but I suspect as soon as two more more devices are plugged in the charge rate drops right off which for tablet users could be an issue whereas the one Ron mentions has a lot more amps.

According to the specification it produces 2.4A (When one device is connected). Plug in an iPad and you can forget about charging anything else. This is the very reason I've spent a long time looking for a charger with sufficient capacity.
RonK

Postby Aushiker » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:37 pm

RonK wrote:According to the specification it produces 2.4A (When one device is connected). Plug in an iPad and you can forget about charging anything else. This is the very reason I've spent a long time looking for a charger with sufficient capacity.

That is what I suspected. Have you found a source for the one you suggest?

Thanks
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Warin » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:58 pm

My larger camera has 2*3.6volt battery .. so it won't charge from a USB (5 volt) supply. I'm trying to get all my stuff to charge/operate from 12 volts .. as I may then use a) a single 12 volt mains supply or b) most motor vehicles. This works if I'm not going remote.

Aldi had on Saturday a solar charger for $10. I got two and am experimenting with them (60 day return policy). The initial phone charge from ~50% phone charge was to ~80% using a full charge .. not sure how much might be left in it. But I'll see how long it takes to recharge back up, hopefully in full sun tomorrow. I'm hopeful that one will run the GPS, the other will recharge the 'smart phone' .. and that the camera batteries (two for the large camera .. but only the one for the small camera) will hold out between 'charge points' (or some might call them civilization :? ).
Warin

Postby RonK » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:34 pm

Aushiker wrote:
RonK wrote:According to the specification it produces 2.4A (When one device is connected). Plug in an iPad and you can forget about charging anything else. This is the very reason I've spent a long time looking for a charger with sufficient capacity.

That is what I suspected. Have you found a source for the one you suggest?

Amazon won't deliver here, but there are plenty on eBay. Will order one soon.
RonK

Postby chucknitro » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:15 pm

Have a look at Antec UA4-25. It's small, has 2 2.1A and 2 1A USB ports. Max output 25W ie 5A.

Got mine from mwave
2013 Scott CR1 Premium - Ultegra Di2 compact.
chucknitro

Postby m@ » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:42 pm

Aushiker wrote:One for the fat bike tourist amongst others ... Robert Axles now allow you to use your 142x12mm thru axle equipped bike with a variety of applications.

Andrew

Thanks for posting - this could be just what I'm after!
harmonix1234 wrote:Forecast for Hobart next week is rain, sleet, ice and all kinds of hell.
HTFU harmonix.
m@
Super Mod
Super Mod

PreviousNext

Return to Touring Bikes and Equipment