The new and interesting touring gear thread...

Aushiker

Re: The new and interesting gear thread...

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:21 pm

RonK wrote:You may be interested in another new product from Anker. Anker 2nd Gen Astro Pro2 20000mAh Quad-Port External Battery with PowerIQ™ Technology.
The only problem with it for me is that it is only charged via 12V by the looks.

Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:25 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Given what has happened to people with non genuine charging devices I am. Death from electrocutionis pretty serious.
The Sky might fall down too. :D

Anker products are sold all around the world except here. They are not just some startup selling cheap Chinese copies.

But of course, you don't have to get one. :wink:
Last edited by RonK on Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:27 pm

Bought one of these from Ebay last night. I hate shaving with blades and have been using 240V Phillishave electric razors for decades. The current one has been running reliably for well over ten years, day in day out (almost).
This little number runs on 2xAA batteries for about an hour. I'll be using Eneloop rechargeables, less run time obviously.
Very well reviewed on a number of sites. My only worry is that I bought it from a Sth. Korean seller. I hope it is genuine, only cost me $34.00;
(Sorry to butt in on the current discussion)

http://www.philips.com.au/c/mens-shavin ... 08_17/prd/
Last edited by Tim on Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:28 pm

Aushiker wrote:
RonK wrote:You may be interested in another new product from Anker. Anker 2nd Gen Astro Pro2 20000mAh Quad-Port External Battery with PowerIQ™ Technology.
The only problem with it for me is that it is only charged via 12V by the looks.
You'll need an eWerk. Not a problem for me because I don't want to charge it via a hub dynamo. I think I'll have plenty of battery capacity anyway with relying on that.

Or you could get one of these: Anker 14W Portable Foldable Outdoor Solar Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology The good thing about these is you can plug your device straight into it. Around $100 inc. shipping on ebay.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:48 pm

Lets see 5 port powered USB hub to charge devices or a 7 port Mbeat 4 port USB 3.0 and 3 port USB 2.0 which comes with a power adapter and is sold thru computer retailers for $35. Lets go see if my powermonkey extreme will let me charge devices with it.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:52 pm

& I just went and unplugged my Mbeat 7 port hub from the power and my desktop computer. Plugged it into my PowerMonkey Extreme and now I've got 2 phones charging off it.
Cheaper, it works, available locally. Sold as a powered USB hub for computers but bonus will be able to tour with it to charge multiple devices. Yes it can charge Ipads.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:53 pm

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:50 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Yes it can charge Ipads.
Questionable - there is no such information on your link, or that it can charge iPads and other devices at the same time.

And it's almost double the bulk.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:11 pm

RonK wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:Yes it can charge Ipads.
Questionable - there is no such information on your link, or that it can charge iPads and other devices at the same time.

And it's almost double the bulk.
Total USB port: 7 ports
Port configuration: 4 x USB3.0 + 3 x USB2.0
Data transfer rate: approx. 480Mbps (USB 2.0)
-Approx. 5Gbps ( USB 3.0)
Power: +5V/3Amp DC power pack
Support OS: win2000 SP4/win2003/winXP SP2/winVista/windows 7 -Note: MAC OS only supports USB2.0 transfer function
Hub dimension (WxDxH): 176x 51.5x13m
Cable length: Aprrox. 90 cm
Weight: (Hub only): 129 gram
Product code: USB-M43HUB

The power adapter provides 5V/3Amp more than enough power to charge an iPad, and a PowerMonkey Extreme can charge an iPad as well.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:33 pm

RonK wrote:You'll need an eWerk. Not a problem for me because I don't want to charge it via a hub dynamo.
Ah yes the eWerk but I guess need to make up a connection. Would like to see a connection to get an idea of what would be involved.

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:36 pm

Baalzamon wrote:The power adapter provides 5V/3Amp more than enough power to charge an iPad, and a PowerMonkey Extreme can charge an iPad as well.
If you are pushing 3 AMP through that then it is not sufficient to power adequately all the hub connectors. The Anker 40W is 8 Amp for a reason.

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:41 pm

RonK wrote:Or you could get one of these: Anker 14W Portable Foldable Outdoor Solar Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology The good thing about these is you can plug your device straight into it. Around $100 inc. shipping on ebay.
Seen those before, but passed. As soon as a manufacturer fails to provide proper specifications it screams alarm bells.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:10 pm

The Anker Astro E5 15000 mAh looks like a reasonable compromise for me ... 10,500 to 12,000 mAh in reality which isn't to bad, two USB outputs at 1 amp and 2 amp and USB charging at 1.5 amp if going just for a battery.

Andrew

RonK

The new and interesting gear thread...

Postby RonK » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:07 pm

Aushiker wrote:The Anker Astro E5 15000 mAh looks like a reasonable compromise for me ... 10,500 to 12,000 mAh in reality which isn't to bad, two USB outputs at 1 amp and 2 amp and USB charging at 1.5 amp if going just for a battery.
Well spotted. I was looking at the biggest batteries, but 15K mAh is nothing to be sneered at.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:58 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:The power adapter provides 5V/3Amp more than enough power to charge an iPad, and a PowerMonkey Extreme can charge an iPad as well.
If you are pushing 3 AMP through that then it is not sufficient to power adequately all the hub connectors. The Anker 40W is 8 Amp for a reason.

Andrew
Ah now the idea with the power adapter is that it provides supplementary power, the main power supply is the USB, in my case the Powertraveller extreme and it looks like there is a new PowerTraveller Extreme 12V out.

FYI Dstoresells Anker but they don't have the E5, strange tho how on Anker's website doesn't list information that Powermonkey does
Safety Features:
Short-circuit protection
Overload protection
Reverse discharge current protection
Low voltage protection

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:33 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
RonK wrote:The power adapter provides 5V/3Amp more than enough power to charge an iPad, and a PowerMonkey Extreme can charge an iPad as well.
Since my objective, clearly stated, is to be able charge all my devices simultaneously when an opportunity presents, and I want to be able to do this quickly, when only one may outlet may be available, and without carrying multiple charging devices, this is a fail.

Plug in an iPad and an iPhone and your 3 amps are consumed. You may as well hacksaw the remaining 5 ports off. And you'll still need chargers for any other devices you carry.

During my research, powered USB hubs were the first devices I considered, and the first devices I rejected.

PowerMonkey doesn't enter into the discussion - I don't have one and I don't intend to get one.
Last edited by RonK on Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RonK

The new and interesting gear thread...

Postby RonK » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:44 pm

Aushiker wrote:
RonK wrote:Or you could get one of these: Anker 14W Portable Foldable Outdoor Solar Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology The good thing about these is you can plug your device straight into it. Around $100 inc. shipping on ebay.
Seen those before, but passed. As soon as a manufacturer fails to provide proper specifications it screams alarm bells.
Just a broken web page I think. More information here, sparse but consistent with the documentation of their other products.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:06 pm

I bought a set in yellow for dark days. Great even for the shed. Lose them and you won't cry... :)

http://www.banggood.com/Night-Vision-UV ... 18613.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:03 pm

RonK wrote:Just a broken web page I think. More information here, sparse but consistent with the documentation of their other products.
Thanks. I thought I had seen that before but couldn't find it a second time round.

Andrew

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:05 pm

Not so much new or interesting gear but definitely very practical

Silverdome Cycle Jacket /vest

http://www.kathmandu.com.au/silverdome- ... ellow.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Being highly wary of any kathmandu product that contains either seams or zips or has the potential to cause grievous bodily harm if it fails,I nonetheless purchased this on special several months ago.

Its only with the recent cooler months that I have trialed it out. Cycling in cool humid conditions can be tricky since not enough protection and you freeze, not enough ventilation and you sweat profusely and freeze .... and too much protection and you simply don't feel like riding anywhere ... and if you cycle through the early morning into the middle of the day or further onwards into the evening it becomes even more challenging finding a garment that is versatile enough to accommodate all these conditions.

The outstanding feature is the way the sleeves can be zipped on or off.
In vest form, there is a wide open mesh portion on almost the entire back to avoid getting a sweaty back and a regular chest frontage the bears the brunt of the frontal wind.

When you zip the sleeves on, they cover (without sealing) the open mesh portion on the back as well.

There are stacks of gilets/vests that offer frontal wind protection and stacks of ventilated cycling jackets but it seems there are not too many that can tick both boxes.

Most Kathmandu stuff seems pretty derivative so I am sure there must be some better quality product out there that they pulled the idea from.
Any ideas?

EDIT :

Novara Conversion Bike Jacket might fit the bill
http://www.rei.com/product/834891/novar ... ideo-inner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ELECTRA 2 CYCLING JACKET could be another
http://www.louisgarneau.com/us-en/produ ... ING_JACKET" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Go!Run!GAH!

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:45 am

Show them a metre distance?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-LED-2-Lase ... 3a839aadde" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

zebee

Postby zebee » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:00 pm

Cheesewheel wrote:Not so much new or interesting gear but definitely very practical

The outstanding feature is the way the sleeves can be zipped on or off.
In vest form, there is a wide open mesh portion on almost the entire back to avoid getting a sweaty back and a regular chest frontage the bears the brunt of the frontal wind.
I bought something similar from Woolys Wheels years ago. Jaggad kit. (These days on the 'bent I never use the sleeves)

Velogear have some convertible jackets on sale, http://www.velogear.com.au/clothing/cyc ... i-vis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doesn't say it is of the mesh back kind but looks to me as if it is constructed like mine is, so the zip goes around the armpits and across the back.

zebee

Postby zebee » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:05 pm

zebee wrote:
Velogear have some convertible jackets on sale, http://www.velogear.com.au/clothing/cyc ... i-vis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and once you know the term "convertible jacket" all sorts of things pop up.

http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/pearl-iz ... acket.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:17 pm

A collapsible drink bottle...?

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/07/29/new ... more-82940" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:29 pm

Wingnut wrote:A collapsible drink bottle...?
Might be handy on the bike when touring. Personally would prefer these in a larger size, say 1.5 litres. I currently often use a PET cool drink bottle. Easily crushed to save space after use until I am able to dispose of them.

Andrew