29er as a Road and Single-track Tourer

rifraf

Re: 29er as a Road and Single-track Tourer

Postby rifraf » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:03 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:SJS have got some H bars... Humpert brand Not a 45 degree bend however like Jeff Jones H bars
Thanks. The Humpert Space bar looks a closer fit; of course SJS Cycles don't stock them.

Andrew
I got an idea Practical Cycles do or maybe did and sold them via eBay at one stage.
They were a contender when I was looking though I was slightly put off due to needing a spacer/shim with my Thomson ahead stem.
I think I remember coming across my Titec bar whilst looking at the Humpert on Ebay.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:07 pm

rifraf wrote:
Aushiker wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:SJS have got some H bars... Humpert brand Not a 45 degree bend however like Jeff Jones H bars
Thanks. The Humpert Space bar looks a closer fit; of course SJS Cycles don't stock them.

Andrew
I got an idea Practical Cycles do or maybe did and sold them via eBay at one stage.
They were a contender when I was looking though I was slightly put off due to needing a spacer/shim with my Thomson ahead stem.
I think I remember coming across my Titec bar whilst looking at the Humpert on Ebay.
Well with Andrew in the planning stages he can get a stem to suit the handlebar without the need for a shim. Also I think he should ride your surly so he can get a feel for H bars, as I found your bike for me very twitchy
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:42 pm

A quick look on eBay, in cycling/handlebars and using "Jones" in the search engine and with the "search description" ticked, under "completed listings" throws up some past sales which should interest you Andrew, especially the cheaper postage.
I think RonK's suggestion of "shipitto" or similar may have a lot of merit.

I think from memory I got my quote from Jones from Shelia(?) at his office which was better than what was indicated at the site at the time.
It wasn't a particularly dear call on my cell.

Just found my emailed 2013 quote from Shelia Jones for some H Loop bars and the shipping was $48.00 plus $4.75 insurance so maybe ringing (which I did) will get you a better quote Andrew. :)

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:46 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
Well with Andrew in the planning stages he can get a stem to suit the handlebar without the need for a shim. Also I think he should ride your surly so he can get a feel for H bars, as I found your bike for me very twitchy
You mean theres stem brands other than Thomson? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah my biggest complaint at the time was that there was no Surly's full stop, let alone Ogres I could get to take for a test spin to help with sizing etc.

Twitchy? Surly, or surely even, that was your Parkensons manifesting........ :P

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:10 pm

rifraf wrote:No, I found the perfect (for Titek J-bar) grip in the Sram Dualdrive grips which I already had a pair in my parts box.
From memory, the available Ergon grips, at the time, were not suitable for the Jones type bars due to the angles.
The dual drive grips are one sided grip shifter specific. :)
No worries. Apparently Jones recommend ESI Silicon Grips

Cheap enough to give them a shot.

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:34 pm

Just be aware that the Titec and earlier Jones bars had shorter grip area's so you'd need to look at shortening up those grips.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:51 am

rifraf wrote:Just be aware that the Titec and earlier Jones bars had shorter grip area's so you'd need to look at shortening up those grips.
Thanks. I am aware of the Titec difference and your comments explain why the grips previously recommended by Jones are a different version of the ESI grips.

All mute at the moment anyway, until I get some actual bars. Nothing on eBay at present either.

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:55 pm

Wanted to experiment a bit with my riding position.
Partly to see if I could lighten the front a bit by getting the seat in a more rearward position.

c r c had a special on Thomson Masterpiece seat posts and had free shipping so I grabbed a setback one of 250mm length which would also be incrimently lighter than the current 350mm straight version the bike was using.

It arrived with no fuss although nowhere as quickly as I remembered my wiggle orders of the past.

Whilst reading the instructions a quandary arose about the suitability of my Surly post clamp.
Thomson talk up the not allowing the clamp to touch the post.

My Surly clamp has a lip that sits on top of the frame tube and I was uncertain whether or not it touched the post.
I obviously missed reading the instructions for the straight initial one.

Ok, so ordered a Thomson clamp to put the possible issue to bed.
That finally arrived today after yet another couple of weeks wait.

I also wanted to break in my spare Brooks saddle, which is a B17 Special.
I spent some time in the garage amongst my mess and viola:

The pic doesn't do it justice but the seat is now much more rearward than it was with the B17 now as rearward as its short rails will allow.

The plan is to do some miles on it and then return to my now broken in Champion Flyer Special to see if I can appreciate any real difference the springs offer.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:05 am

rifraf wrote:Wanted to experiment a bit with my riding position.
Partly to see if I could lighten the front a bit by getting the seat in a more rearward position.

c r c had a special on Thomson Masterpiece seat posts and had free shipping so I grabbed a setback one of 250mm length which would also be incrimently lighter than the current 350mm straight version the bike was using.

It arrived with no fuss although nowhere as quickly as I remembered my wiggle orders of the past.

Whilst reading the instructions a quandary arose about the suitability of my Surly post clamp.
Thomson talk up the not allowing the clamp to touch the post.

My Surly clamp has a lip that sits on top of the frame tube and I was uncertain whether or not it touched the post.
I obviously missed reading the instructions for the straight initial one.

Ok, so ordered a Thomson clamp to put the possible issue to bed.
That finally arrived today after yet another couple of weeks wait.

I also wanted to break in my spare Brooks saddle, which is a B17 Special.
I spent some time in the garage amongst my mess and viola:

The pic doesn't do it justice but the seat is now much more rearward than it was with the B17 now as rearward as its short rails will allow.

The plan is to do some miles on it and then return to my now broken in Champion Flyer Special to see if I can appreciate any real difference the springs offer.
Just watch your tension on the Thomson clamp. Like all their parts they are very sensitive to torque. I should know as I broke 3 on them trying to hold my Thomson post in position on my On One Inbred

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:41 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
Just watch your tension on the Thomson clamp. Like all their parts they are very sensitive to torque. I should know as I broke 3 on them trying to hold my Thomson post in position on my On One Inbred
Thanks for the tip :!: