Tyvek groundsheet footprint for tent

Leaf T

Tyvek groundsheet footprint for tent

Postby Leaf T » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:36 pm

Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get some of this Tyvek material to try as a groundsheet/footprint for my tent. It appears to be very popular with bushwalkers but at this point apart from Bushwalking.com I can't find anywhere in Australia to buy smaller amounts than the 30m rolls on offer.

Apparently Tyvek home wrap allows vapour to pass through but not liquid and is extremely light and durable. I also like the way it can be cut with scissors and doesn't need edge treatment so it's ideal to cut it to include the vestibule.

Has anybody tried it? Maybe a group buy or similar is the way to go if enough interest?

RonK

Re: Tyvek groundsheet footprint for tent

Postby RonK » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:45 pm

I'd be visiting the nearest new housing estate and asking the builders for some offcuts.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:14 am

Thanks guys, I tried feebay too but postage kills it for me. It is supposed to be very cheap so RonK's suggestion might be the go.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:36 am

Andy wrote:Thanks guys, I tried feebay too but postage kills it for me. It is supposed to be very cheap so RonK's suggestion might be the go.
Turn up around 4pm with a six pack. :)

maxknott

Postby maxknott » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:22 am

i got some from http://bushwalk.com/forum/index.phpi think it was about $50 for 6 metres including postage

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:25 pm

Henry Shires of Tarptent fame sells various sizes for US$12.00 + postage. I guess it comes down to how much you need.

I haven't seen it used here in WA on building sites so not sure if you can get it a Bunnings or the like.

Andrew

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:47 am

I've tried tarptent but I was hoping to get it locally and possibly from a builder or roofer type of tradie who is willing to sell a couple of metres. I'll keep with the regular tarp for now and perhaps I'll stumble across some tyvek in future.
I went up to the Kodak housing development thinking it might be a good place to try but it's all the blue foil backed stuff so no luck there. I was surprised though at how flimsy and cheap modern house construction looks. Couldn't see much in the way of insulation either.

festybiker

Postby festybiker » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:51 pm

wondering how you went Andy.??

I too have an interest in trying out Tyvek as a lightweight tarp, groundsheet etc. It seems to be the go with the "ultra" lightweight nuts out there, in here and typing this post.
As a tradesman in Melbourne, i do not think it is yet available and cetainly not used mainstream in housing construction here. Would be happy to hear otherwise.

I will try some of the provided links above as i have only to date found Ebay US suppliers who charge by the meter and it seems confusing to work out the postage.

Keep in touch, i think Tyvek has yet to become as popular here as the US. Maybe its not that good, or maybe its just not that available and hence not that popular. From my research however it seems like its a great product for any touring cyclist.

Will let you know how i go.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:42 pm

Hi Festy,

I gave up for now. I ended up deciding to travel in Asia and not take the tent. I'll follow it up when I get back but that is several months away. Let me know if you get some though.

Cheers,
Andy

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:47 pm

Anyone still looking for Tyvek may find it worthwhile to follow up on the Bushwalk Australia forum.

festybiker

Postby festybiker » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:44 pm

Tyvek ordered. will keep 'youse' posted.

Regello

Postby Regello » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:20 pm

festybiker wrote:Tyvek ordered. will keep 'youse' posted.
Hi festybiker, where did you order form? I need 4 meters x 2 meters.

festybiker

Postby festybiker » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:37 am

Hi Regello. i went through Ebay US. I paid about $30 delivered for a 3m x 3m piece. There is a link above to a Bushwalk Australia Forum as another option.

As yet, it has not arrived.

let me know how you go too.

elStado

Postby elStado » Fri May 17, 2013 12:18 am

I'm using a Tyvek groundsheet with my Tarp Tent (paid a couple of bucks extra for it when I bought the tent).

It's a handy bit of material, basically it looks and feels like thick greaseproof paper except it is extremely durable and water resistant. It's also very light which is sometimes a challenge when there's a strong wind blowing as the groundsheet keeps trying to escape as you are trying to set up the tent on top of it. :D

I want to get some myself to make into a awning to go off the side of the car. As it's durable, water resistant, heat reflective and light weight it would be a perfect material for an awning on the campervan.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

festybiker

Postby festybiker » Fri May 17, 2013 7:21 am

Nice Elstato, good idea. I have made a bivvybag out of it with some double sided tape and stick on Velcro. It's kinda like a Tyvek Pastie that I slip into on 1 side.

It has a rinderpest foam mat inside and a sleeping bag. Weighs in at a small pinch over 2kg. Certainly beats the canvas swag at 5kg.!!

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:33 pm

festybiker wrote:Nice Elstato, good idea. I have made a bivvybag out of it with some double sided tape and stick on Velcro. It's kinda like a Tyvek Pastie that I slip into on 1 side.

It has a rinderpest foam mat inside and a sleeping bag. Weighs in at a small pinch over 2kg. Certainly beats the canvas swag at 5kg.!!
Hi Festy,

Just wondering what you think of the Tyvek now that you've had it for a while. A friend mentioned making a bivvy bag to fit his sleeping bag like you did and it sounds like a good idea. Was there a reason for using tape? Is it not possible to stitch tyvek?

There's this place in Geelong which might be an option. http://www.cavalierart.com.au/catalog/c ... -and-sheet

zebee

Postby zebee » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:10 pm

the guy from bushwalk forums has a shop now http://www.tiergear.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; selling tyvek and all sorts of other things.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:26 am

zebee wrote:the guy from bushwalk forums has a shop now http://www.tiergear.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; selling tyvek and all sorts of other things.
Thanks for the link. Handy to know.

Andrew

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:06 pm

He sells the lighter version of tyvek which I thought was only water resistant rather than waterproof?

zebee

Postby zebee » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:30 pm

Andy wrote:He sells the lighter version of tyvek which I thought was only water resistant rather than waterproof?

Ask him... he's good at answering questions