Vivente World Randonneur - the best bang for your buck

Stuntman

Re: Vivente World Randonneur - the best bang for your buck

Postby Stuntman » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:32 pm

Flat bars and Shimano hydraulic discs.

I spent far too long mulling over flat vs drop vs touring style bars.

Its likely I will experiment (natural born tinkerer) - maybe even with a jones bar. But right now it feels good.
Vivente Randoneur SHB, Focus Paralane, Giant Anyroad, Merida Big Nine, 1990 Miyata 414, 1978 Peugeot Mixte, Brumby Tandem,

Stuntman

Postby Stuntman » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:59 pm

il padrone wrote:If you have the Tubus Duo fitted, check that you have spacers to pack the rack at the mid-fork upper mount. I have seen people who have fitted it by just bolting the rack on, and noticeably bending the horizontal struts in to the fork. The two bars must be parallel. Bending one of these in under tension is NOT going to be good for longevity of the rack.
Yep I have a spacer - about 10mm (by eye).
Vivente Randoneur SHB, Focus Paralane, Giant Anyroad, Merida Big Nine, 1990 Miyata 414, 1978 Peugeot Mixte, Brumby Tandem,

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:08 pm

More great service from Noel, the boss at VWR/Gemini Bikes.
I'd been having trouble finding replacement ramped and pinned Sugino chainrings.
Emailed Noel, snappy reply, a couple more emails and the new rings arrived at the PO today.
I haven't even paid for them yet. A complete surprise.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:17 am

That's a mighty good bit of info there, I was looking for exactly the same thing a few months back without much success, and now I know where to go.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:30 am

I bought a complete new set of three rings; 24T, 36T and 46T.
The two smaller rings were about $48.00 each, not a bad price. Can buy 24T cheaper online but I couldn't find a 36T (nor 46T) R&P type anywhere.
The 46T was nearly double the price of the individual smaller rings.
I didn't mind paying the above and supporting Noel (his service is worth paying for), but it might work out cheaper buying a full new crankset if you need all 3 new rings. It's possible Noel stocks complete cranksets, unfortunately I didn't think to ask.
http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/cr1.htm

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:46 am

It's surprising that you would need to replace all the chainrings. :shock:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:42 am

The 24 and 36 rings were cactus.
For some time I've been wanting to change the existing 48 to a smaller 46 to better resolve chain length and derailleur wrap issues.
I'm also hoping the 46 will be used more frequently than the 48 on the flat with a big load.

B4HAdelaide

Postby B4HAdelaide » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:35 pm

Hi
I run a small charity in Adelaide - Bicycles for Humanity. We recently had a Gemini World Randonneur donated with a view to selling the bike to raise funds for shipping used mountain bikes to Namibia. I wonder if there is someone out there who would have a good idea about the value of this bike so that I can advertise it for a good/reasonable ..... if only I could work out how to attach a photo.....
Thanks, Angela

TailWalker

Postby TailWalker » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:50 pm

Hi Angela, it will depend a lot on condition. I'm happy to have a look if you're not too far away (I live near the airport) and give you a reasonable idea.

Kaete

Postby Kaete » Tue May 02, 2017 5:02 pm

Hello all, and many thanks for your views and opinions, and all of which I find much helpful.

Several months ago I bought a VWR Deccan from Metro bikes shop here in Newcastle, and had since added to it a front German made pannier rack. The total cost, all told, $2500. Its the second of my touring bikes I currently have, the first being the Gazelle Fuente Trekking, bought six years ago or so, at a similar price.

My daughter and I recently did a 350km ride for charity, down the NSW south coast. (See below, for details.) I have to say that the VWR Deccan went very exceptionally well along the ride, and that there were few difficulties had.

best wishes,
Kaete http://www.kaete.org

Hello all,

My disability service part time manager in the Blue Mountains/part time M Social Policy student daughter, Nonni, 30 yo this coming October, and I, 66 yo the week after next, had a magnificent time together in our 350 klm fundraising effort for Hunter Centre for Sex and Gender Diversity Inc (HCSGSD #), Beyond Blue, and Lifeline, this last couple of weeks down the NSW South Coast, from just south of Sydney to Batesman Bay (and the longest time spent with one another since the four weeks we spent together traversing southern India some two years ago), though some the roads we travelled, and which we wouldn’t want to do ever again, were absolutely treacherous. (At one stage, Nonni narrowly missed by just centimetres being taken to heaven by a four wheel drive Jeep vehicle, going along a 80 klms zone, plus there were numerous other times when semi trailers, caravans, and other vehicles, got way, way, too close.)

On the positive side, some of the scenery was absolutely spectacular, we were blessed with mostly sunny, warm, weather, and along the way we managed to catch up with some our relatives we hadn’t seen for many a while. That was so good. Plus, we raised some monies for three very worthwhile causes.

Nonni has put many of the photos she and I took along the way, and some the videos she made, at the Facebook site https://www.facebook.com/Huntercentrefo ... diversity/ if you want to take a look.

Would we do the trip again? Well, maybe, though I think we are agreed that in future, and amongst other things, we might take bikes similar in weight and tyre width. Nonni’s was a light weight Aventi bike, having narrow less road resistance tyres; mine was a Viventi heavy duty touring one, with wider, more road resistance incurring tyres. The difference was especially noticeable when climbing the many steep hills along the way, with Nonni zooming ahead, and me majorly struggling to keep up with her!

I look forward to catching up with everyone soon.

Best wishes, all,
Kaete : -)
PS. The fundraiser site, Nonni and her friend Gaby produced, is still accessible if you want to circulate to people you know. Its at:

https://www.mycause.com.au/page/148404/ ... good-cause

The totals to date:
*$855 for HCSGD
*$115 for Beyond Blue
*$40 for Lifeline

I was hoping that Beyond Blue and Lifeline would have gained more donations, than that which each did, but no matter, there is still time.

# http://www.huntercentreforsexandgenderdiversity.com.au/ https://kaete.org/hunter-centre-for-sex ... diversity/

tehkernel

Postby tehkernel » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:34 pm

Tim wrote:I bought a complete new set of three rings; 24T, 36T and 46T.
The two smaller rings were about $48.00 each, not a bad price. Can buy 24T cheaper online but I couldn't find a 36T (nor 46T) R&P type anywhere.
The 46T was nearly double the price of the individual smaller rings.
I didn't mind paying the above and supporting Noel (his service is worth paying for), but it might work out cheaper buying a full new crankset if you need all 3 new rings. It's possible Noel stocks complete cranksets, unfortunately I didn't think to ask.
http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/cr1.htm
Replying in case anyone else is struggling to find compatible chainrings, I got a 36 tooth ring from wiggle that fitted well, description is "TA 110 PCD Zephyr Inner Road Chainring". Its machined rather than stamped, and I'm suspecting it can be flipped over to get a bit more life out of it.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:01 pm

tehkernel wrote:
Replying in case anyone else is struggling to find compatible chainrings, I got a 36 tooth ring from wiggle that fitted well, description is "TA 110 PCD Zephyr Inner Road Chainring". Its machined rather than stamped, and I'm suspecting it can be flipped over to get a bit more life out of it.
Just sticking my oar in regarding chainrings due to you mentioning 110 PCD.

Pretty sure that was the PCD for my 5 arm crank rings and I found "Thorn" brand reversible rings at Sjscycles when I needed one for my cranks, at what I thought, back then, a good price.

Not sure of their current price and availability but as I've had less problematic service from SJS, I thought I'd mention them.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:32 pm

A few VWR's going for sale at pretty good prices...ex hire bikes...

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vivente-Wor ... :rk:2:pf:0

Cheers

V17L

Postby V17L » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:27 pm

Hi,
Is there any chance this thread might be a sticky?
Giant Defy 1

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:25 am

I found this one this morning on Facebook Marketplace, this is a bargain, pretty much $2K less than new price and going by the pictures, I'm thinking perhaps a 2017 model as my Patagonia is.

So if anyone is after a full blown touring bike with Rolhoff gearing, carbon belt, dyno hub and Hydraulic discs....I reckon this is a great buy...even if you don't tour, this would make an awesome commuter.

This model is also the very same that Vivente's creator Noel McFarlane does all his overseas touring on now.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 620460907/

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

Peter A

Postby Peter A » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:02 pm

*As it's a VIVENTE touring bike will post it here, just saw it on G/Tree, looks OK -

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/northco ... 1238346918

*Apols if should be in another location, just move if this post infringes pls. :mrgreen:

Edit 1417hrs - here's another VIVENTE, why weren't good s/h Viventes around last year :!:

Last edited by Peter A on Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Peter A

Postby Peter A » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:13 pm

Matter of interest re my (virginal) VIVENTE GIBB which is L frame for my 183cm and came
fitted with 170mm cranks.

Bike just didn't feel right, probably imagined it, but my other bikes MTB, couple of roadies, have 175mm cranks so
eventually emailed Noel and got some 175mm sent. Cost <$90 incl. freight and service A1++, thanks Noel :D

Fitted and rode it, feels better, more power to wheels, just right really.

The 170mm cranks, like new, are sitting here if someone wants them at a reduced $$ bargain price, the R/H
crank is fitted with the belt drive ring, one piece.

Anyone else been thru' this crank change process ? :?:

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:15 pm

Peter A wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:02 pm
*As it's a VIVENTE touring bike will post it here, just saw it on G/Tree, looks OK -

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/northco ... 1238346918

*Apols if should be in another location, just move if this post infringes pls. :mrgreen:

Edit 1417hrs - here's another VIVENTE, why weren't good s/h Viventes around last year :!:

That first one with the straight bars is roughly a 2012/3 model, I had a similar 2nd hand model at first with the trekking bars, it's a good bike, If I had the spare dosh I'd make a Bikepacker out of it....they have good fork clearances for wide tyres without the guards. I sold it to buy a Patagonia with barends and hydro brakes.
The 2nd one you showed is good value for a Rolhoff model and it's pretty new as it has the gates belt system where I think the earlier one had a chain. They also have the TRP Hydro discs, Shimano hub dyno. Flash $2500 cash in front of them and I reckon it could be yours.

cheers

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:16 pm

That second one, with the Rohloff, there is something odd. It says "belt drive with chainguard". Picture shows a chainguard. The thing is, I don't think they never made one with belt drive and a chain guard. IIRC 2016 had a chain, with chainguard, 2017 changed to gates belt drive with no guard.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:46 pm

robbo mcs wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:16 pm
That second one, with the Rohloff, there is something odd. It says "belt drive with chainguard". Picture shows a chainguard. The thing is, I don't think they never made one with belt drive and a chain guard. IIRC 2016 had a chain, with chainguard, 2017 changed to gates belt drive with no guard.
Good point robbo....when I was looking for my next Vivente, I went to Omafiets and test rode the majority of the models available including the Swabia which I think is the one (without referring to website) I test rode and I hated it...it was the one with the chain and guard not the gates drive so it was probably a 2016 model, my Patagonia is a 2017 model. I hated the shifter for the Rolhoff was really stiff and notchy and it came down to a decision between 2 derailleur models with drop bars, one being the Patagonia and the other the Deccan, the former having hydro brakes and barends and the latter having mech brakes and brifters...I went with the former...and loving it.

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:37 pm

Not sure if this is permitted or not, but I am selling my 2012 model STI drop bar VWR.

Located in Perth / Margaret River. Have a potential buyer lined up already, but that could fall through.

If anyone is interested send me a PM.

https://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopi ... 5&t=102619

Awesome bike, don't want to sell it.. but don't have the space for multiple bikes and I am into off road trail riding more now days.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

rich1642

Postby rich1642 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:59 am

Is Vivente still making touring bikes?

iacl

Postby iacl » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:07 am

rich1642 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:59 am
Is Vivente still making touring bikes?
Yes, as far as I know.
Bought my latest last year, a 2018 The Gibb, which is currently setup for off/mixed road use.
Very hard to improve on without spendIng a lot more.

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:41 pm

And Noel's last Blog entry on the site (under the Travel tab) is 17 July 2020

https://viventebikes.com/
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:51 pm

Yeah but have dropped a few Models including my Patagonia with barend shifters, drop bars and Hydro Disc brakes but kept the Deccan which has the brifter shifters and mech disc Disc brakes and drop bars
Looks as though he has added a couple of new Rolhoff hub bikes to the list and seems to be concentrating on this set-up.

I didn't like the original set up with the Rollhoff hub as the shifter was too awkward and stiff and the one I test rode was quite noisy with a chain but now they have the Gates belt drive, it's virutualy maintenance free.

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017