Vivente World Randonneur - the best bang for your buck

iacl

Re: Vivente World Randonneur - the best bang for your buck

Postby iacl » Tue May 13, 2014 1:24 pm

RonK wrote:
iacl wrote:Starting get a bit more serious in thought about my conversion. Looking to maybe retro fit an eccentric bottom bracket along the lines of:
http://www.bushnelltandems.com/eccentric.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.rodbikes.com/articles/ebb-ar ... ticle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some food for thought.
I have a Bushnell EBB on my VN Pioneer - it requires an oversize BB shell which would be impractical to retrofit.

No doubt that is why Noel has opted for the tensioner on the VWR. It would not make economic sense to manufacture an EBB specific frame for what is unlikely to be a volume seller.
Thanks Ron, I usually do have a bit of problem with the obvious stuff : )

What about this one?

http://www.trickstuff.de/en/products/ex ... r_KL.php#1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Tue May 13, 2014 2:41 pm

the_real_jimbob wrote:Considering the Gibb with Rohloff hub but the local seller said the models on order for test rides are the derailleur versions. My biggest concern are reports on the hub noise and shifting mechanism especially coming from Ultegra on a road bike. Since these issues are subjective it seems best to test ride it before buying a $3700 bike on spec. Anyone know of any options to test ride one of these hubs in Perth?
Just to throw a spanner in the works and a big assumption it is your size, I saw this below in the ebay touring thread on BNA. Looks an absolute bargain and negotiable on price.

From what I can tell it has sliding rear drop outs which can be used or changed to fit a Rohloff as well as provide tension adjustment. Might be worth some research. A unique ready to go tourer with quality accessories and the option to optimally fit a Rohloff at a later date.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fremantl ... 1045979082

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue May 13, 2014 4:59 pm

iacl wrote:
RonK wrote:
iacl wrote:Starting get a bit more serious in thought about my conversion. Looking to maybe retro fit an eccentric bottom bracket along the lines of:
http://www.bushnelltandems.com/eccentric.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.rodbikes.com/articles/ebb-ar ... ticle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some food for thought.
I have a Bushnell EBB on my VN Pioneer - it requires an oversize BB shell which would be impractical to retrofit.

No doubt that is why Noel has opted for the tensioner on the VWR. It would not make economic sense to manufacture an EBB specific frame for what is unlikely to be a volume seller.
Thanks Ron, I usually do have a bit of problem with the obvious stuff : )

What about this one?

http://www.trickstuff.de/en/products/ex ... r_KL.php#1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting - looks like it would work if it's not too tricky to set up. Obviously the range of adjustment is not going to be huge, but then a Rohloff can tolerate a bit of chain slack as long as it doesn't come off the sprockets.

If you order one you'll need to order the installation tool as well.

I can't see any great problem with the VWR Gibb setup, but you could discard the tensioner and retrofit one of these EBB's.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

chillimagnum

Postby chillimagnum » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:18 pm

Anyone using the trekking bar version? What I'm not sure is how this would change the bike fit and sizing based on a drop bar. Their site says:

"This sits your hands about 6cm forward of where they would have been on the earlier trekking bars. The new position corresponds to about where they would be if the same frame was set up as a drop-bar touring bike or a flat-bar hybrid."
http://www.viventebikes.com/main/page_t ... tions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would that "new position" be the equivelant of tops or hoods?

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:41 pm

chillimagnum wrote:Anyone using the trekking bar version? What I'm not sure is how this would change the bike fit and sizing based on a drop bar. Their site says:

"This sits your hands about 6cm forward of where they would have been on the earlier trekking bars. The new position corresponds to about where they would be if the same frame was set up as a drop-bar touring bike or a flat-bar hybrid."
http://www.viventebikes.com/main/page_t ... tions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since a flat bar is also mentioned in the comparison I'd say its the tops.

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:53 pm

My mate has one with the trekking bars one size smaller than I would normally ride

It feels to me like the the main part of the bar would be like a flat bar and the very comfy bar extensions are like being on the hoods with extra hand positions

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:47 pm

Conversion of a 2012 VWR to a pseudo Gibb

I have been curious about a Rohloff Speedhub since I first heard of them some time ago…in more recent times I have been tracking the at times feisty debates about their various merits and flaws through BNA forums… and I must admit that these discussions were adding to my increasing curiosity about whether I would ever throw away my cassettes and derailleurs and join the, in the main, enthusiastic band of Rohloff devotees!

The thing is i have! And its completely due to BNA forums that this has happened ...

If your interested in how this came to be and how i went about the conversion...hit the link. http://worldrandonneurconversion.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers

elStado

Postby elStado » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:31 am

VeloGiro wrote:Conversion of a 2012 VWR to a pseudo Gibb

I have been curious about a Rohloff Speedhub since I first heard of them some time ago…in more recent times I have been tracking the at times feisty debates about their various merits and flaws through BNA forums… and I must admit that these discussions were adding to my increasing curiosity about whether I would ever throw away my cassettes and derailleurs and join the, in the main, enthusiastic band of Rohloff devotees!

The thing is i have! And its completely due to BNA forums that this has happened ...

If your interested in how this came to be and how i went about the conversion...hit the link. http://worldrandonneurconversion.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers
I am also looking to convert to a Rohloff IGH for my 2012 VWR once the current drivetrain is worn out to the point it needs replacement.

The new Vivente range is looking great. I love it that they are constantly improving and becoming refined over time based on customer feedback, real life usage and developments of technology.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:01 pm

elStado wrote:
VeloGiro wrote:Conversion of a 2012 VWR to a pseudo Gibb

Cheers
I am also looking to convert to a Rohloff IGH for my 2012 VWR once the current drivetrain is worn out to the point it needs replacement.

The new Vivente range is looking great. I love it that they are constantly improving and becoming refined over time based on customer feedback, real life usage and developments of technology.
Hi elStado - Nearly 12 months on and I am really pleased with the conversion - I'd be happy to answer and ?'s you might have with your potential conversion - i learned quite a bit along the way with my conversion!

What bar set up are you thinking of? - you may have trekking bars already? I like my existing flat-bar setup but am curious to experiment with trekking bars...

I've been out riding the past couple of days in the Grampians (Vic) - testing out the 19T rear sprocket set up...I really appreciated the gearing crossing Roses Gap and climbing up Mt William (1167m) - made it to the very top this time with the Rohloff setup...and a heap of huffing and puffing!!! The last 1.8 k's past the boom-gate averages out to something like a 13% incline with a couple of pinches greater than 20%...I stashed my panniers in the bush at the base of the hill so i wasn't riding with touring weight - phew!!!I

elStado

Postby elStado » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:20 pm

VeloGiro wrote:Hi elStado - Nearly 12 months on and I am really pleased with the conversion - I'd be happy to answer and ?'s you might have with your potential conversion - i learned quite a bit along the way with my conversion!

What bar set up are you thinking of? - you may have trekking bars already? I like my existing flat-bar setup but am curious to experiment with trekking bars...

I've been out riding the past couple of days in the Grampians (Vic) - testing out the 19T rear sprocket set up...I really appreciated the gearing crossing Roses Gap and climbing up Mt William (1167m) - made it to the very top this time with the Rohloff setup...and a heap of huffing and puffing!!! The last 1.8 k's past the boom-gate averages out to something like a 13% incline with a couple of pinches greater than 20%...I stashed my panniers in the bush at the base of the hill so i wasn't riding with touring weight - phew!!!I
I have the drop bar STI version of the VWR. Not as easy to do a conversion, I think I'll have to mount the gear changed to the stem like Vivente did on the Swabia model. Not ideal.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:14 pm

elStado wrote:
VeloGiro wrote:Hi elStado - Nearly 12 months on and I am really pleased with the conversion - I'd be happy to answer and ?'s you might have with your potential conversion - i learned quite a bit along the way with my conversion!

I have the drop bar STI version of the VWR. Not as easy to do a conversion, I think I'll have to mount the gear changed to the stem like Vivente did on the Swabia model. Not ideal.
Hey elStado...I'd be happy pass on to you the 55mm Thorn Accessory bar that i didn't use for my conversion... http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-access ... 1/?geoc=au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ...Its in my shed and now completely of no use at all to me.

Its yours if you want it...Given I've been the past recipient of the generosity of people participating in BNA forums if its possible to arrange a pick up or a sensible drop off of the accessory bar (I am SE Melb 'burbs) I'm not looking to sell it at all ...If pick up/drop off isn't an option I'd need to cover costs for posting it... PM of your interested in either option.

Cheers

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:56 pm

elStado wrote:I have the drop bar STI version of the VWR. Not as easy to do a conversion, I think I'll have to mount the gear changed to the stem like Vivente did on the Swabia model. Not ideal.
Gehbla Rohbox should be able to run with SRAM drop-bar STi shift levers.
The Rohbox allows you to use regular SRAM STI shift levers (or MTB shifters on a flat handlebar) with your Rohloff hub. The system requires shifter modification to remove both the holding pawls and the springs. Alternatively, you can buy the shift levers directly from Gebla with your Rohbox. Once installed, your right lever changes gears down, and your left lever changes them back up again. It’s very neat!

From CyclingAbout

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:37 am

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rohloff-Spee ... 2a58205bf8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure where the $'s might finish but theres one currently for sale on ebay..

Fjenkins

Postby Fjenkins » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:09 pm

A bit off topic, but does anyone know what that bike is in the post above? (with the plum coloured frame)

It is stunning

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:14 pm

Fjenkins wrote:A bit off topic, but does anyone know what that bike is in the post above? (with the plum coloured frame)

It is stunning
Georg Blaschke (german company)
Go!Run!GAH!

Stuntman

Postby Stuntman » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:55 pm

What bars do people recommend - for mixed riding. I know bar type also has some influence on the brakes with this bike - ie the drop bars with STi come with trp sypres (that I actually don't mind) as compared to the others with hydraulic brakes.

I kinda like the idea of drops but I am not sure.

Jones bars? Woodchippers?
Vivente Randoneur SHB, Focus Paralane, Giant Anyroad, Merida Big Nine, 1990 Miyata 414, 1978 Peugeot Mixte, Brumby Tandem,

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:43 am

Stuntman wrote:What bars do people recommend - for mixed riding. I know bar type also has some influence on the brakes with this bike - ie the drop bars with STi come with trp sypres (that I actually don't mind) as compared to the others with hydraulic brakes.

I kinda like the idea of drops but I am not sure.

Jones bars? Woodchippers?
Hi Woodchippers - I am (or at least was) a bit of a traditionalist and like drop bars and bar end shifters on a touring bike. When i converted my VWR to a Rohloff drive i was planning to retain the drops and use a Thorn Accessory bar to mount the twist shifter and ordered one from the UK.

While waiting for it to be delivered and I had to scratch the itch with the conversion…I had a nice old silver flat bar in the shed. I tentatively removed the drops and to my surprise and delight immediately it was apparent that the flat bar option showed promise…even to the point where this might have been a viable option long term. With long bar ends my setup is similar to that of the Humpert Horn bar or trekking bars which are as i understand are options within the VWR range...

The bike handles really well with the flat bars and it seems (at least with the mechanical brake set up) that braking is more powerful with conventional levers and there perhaps even a little more fine touch or 'feel' that i experienced braking with the hood brakes...

Not sure I'd go back to drops now...which is something of a surprise given where i started!

This is one account only...I'd also be interested in others thoughts re drops v trekking or other...

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:11 pm

chillimagnum wrote:Anyone using the trekking bar version? What I'm not sure is how this would change the bike fit and sizing based on a drop bar. Their site says:

I don't know if it's needed now but chillimagnum asked about the trekking bar version of the Vivente bikes.....mine is a 2013 model with Trekking bars, although I did buy mine 2nd hand off a guy in the Northern suburbs of Sydney....but this is the first time I've ever had a bike with these kind of bars....I've always wondered what they'd be like, like flat bars only a bit narrower compared to my MTB but they've got better hand positions than flat bars with bar ends. Theres a few different versions of Trekking bars available, these ones are more like horns on a Bull whereas some of the bars I've seen have the ends on the inside and the brakes and gears (shimano Deore LX rapids)
Mine has the rear canti brakes and front cable disc. The change to hydraulic is about $300 but I don't know if I've got the provision for discs at the rear or not.

Anyway heres a pic with mine, you'll see that the Deuter handlebar bags sits nice and snug inside the horns.

Cheers

Dave
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

Stuntman

Postby Stuntman » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:08 pm

Picked up my SHB version on the weekend. Nothing could come close in terms of all-round value and the ride quality is great. Colour choices are fantastic and make the decision process simple :^)

I changed the bar ends to ergon GP-5 bar ends, changed the tyres to a set of 40mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus (guards work fine - could maybe go a little bigger and still have coverage) and put a set of tubus duo lowriders on the front. Other than that I don't feel like I need to do much else really in terms of additions or "upgrades".

Only a few short rides so far, but it feels right. Very comfortable bike - even with just a set of loaded front panniers (bricks in the front to check) it feels nice and stable. Need to do a night ride and see how the lights work out for me as I have never had a dyno set of lights previously.
Vivente Randoneur SHB, Focus Paralane, Giant Anyroad, Merida Big Nine, 1990 Miyata 414, 1978 Peugeot Mixte, Brumby Tandem,

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:10 am

Stuntman wrote:Picked up my SHB version on the weekend. Nothing could come close in terms of all-round value and the ride quality is great. Colour choices are fantastic and make the decision process simple :^)

I changed the bar ends to ergon GP-5 bar ends, changed the tyres to a set of 40mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus (guards work fine - could maybe go a little bigger and still have coverage) and put a set of tubus duo lowriders on the front. Other than that I don't feel like I need to do much else really in terms of additions or "upgrades".

Only a few short rides so far, but it feels right. Very comfortable bike - even with just a set of loaded front panniers (bricks in the front to check) it feels nice and stable. Need to do a night ride and see how the lights work out for me as I have never had a dyno set of lights previously.
Welcome to the VWR club Stuntman!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:00 am

If you have the Tubus Duo fitted, check that you have spacers to pack the rack at the mid-fork upper mount. I have seen people who have fitted it by just bolting the rack on, and noticeably bending the horizontal struts in to the fork. The two bars must be parallel. Bending one of these in under tension is NOT going to be good for longevity of the rack.
Mandatory helmet law?

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:02 am

Ouch! Imagine that pinging off into your spokes.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:37 am

It's not usually a problem on beefier MTB forks. I don't recall how wide the VWT forks are, but if they are oval-section touring forks, which I suspect, they WILL need packing. My Thorn Nomad has larger round-section fork blades and I use a set of spacers - about 5mm on each fork blade.
Mandatory helmet law?

Stuntman

Postby Stuntman » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:40 pm

Thanks

I will check that the front rack.

First night ride last night. The lights are good. Ok for urban riding and I think fine on tarmac on country roads at a respectable pace. I'd like something a bit brighter on occasions and I think would need something a bit brighter if riding on rougher surfaces at any sort of speed. I found I would sometimes turn on my brighter handlebar light to help confirm that obstacles (walkers in particular - especially ninjas) were approaching when on the unlit bike paths.

I still had a flashie on the saddle bag. I believe that it provides a more visual clue that a cyclist is ahead than a continuous red light. Both together are great, but I wouldn't be overly concerned if I didn't have the flashie.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:06 pm

What exactly is the difference with the SHB model?
I see Noel describes it as a commuter, but the only apparent difference is the flat bars.