Tubus Racks

Tubus Racks

Postby lcfc » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:24 am

Once again i'm looking to the expertise of the forum. I need some rear pannier racks for my MTB and have been looking at the Tubus Disco rear panniers. It's a 29er and has disc breaks so it ticks those boxes. Any opinions on these or others?

http://www.tubus.com/product.php?xn=10

*Edit: Just had a quick look at the Tubus Logo Pannier rack too which seems to have a greater load capacity. I'm planning on purchasing a set of Ortlieb Back Roller plus panniers.
http://abbotsfordcycles.com.au/product_ ... cts_id=363

Thanks again
Gary
lcfc

by BNA » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:20 am

BNA

Re: Tubus Racks

Postby Chef » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:20 am

Hi,

I have had Tubus racks on a couple of bikes, and they are very strong and well designed - highly recomended.

Wiggle have good pricing; http://www.wiggle.com.au/tubus-logo-rear-rack/

Cheers
"A dessert without cheese is like a beautiful woman with only one eye."
Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
Chef

Postby lcfc » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:28 am

Key phrases, 'strong and well designed'. Good to hear.

Does the logo rear rack fit a bike with disc breaks?

Cheers
lcfc

Postby Wingnut » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:40 am

I use Tubus atm but think OMM racks are just as good, used them previously...

http://www.oldmanmountain.com/Pages/Rac ... Racks.html
"It never gets easier, you just go faster..." - Greg Lemond

"Because technology alone is a poor substitute for experience." - Richard Sachs
Wingnut

Postby Chef » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:08 am

lcfc wrote:Key phrases, 'strong and well designed'. Good to hear.

Does the logo rear rack fit a bike with disc breaks?

Cheers

Figment will depend on your frame/brake/rack, but there are lots of variants so you should find one that suits.
"A dessert without cheese is like a beautiful woman with only one eye."
Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
Chef

Postby just4tehhalibut » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:35 pm

I've also bought Tubus from Rose Versand and Bike24, not just because of the price but the small parts. There's also useful info on thetouringstore, including a page devoted to rack comparision.

The Surly 'Nice Rack' is also worth considering, the front might be a bit overpowering for your bike but the rear is well liked and better looking. Bike24 sells the front but here's a link to both front and rear on JensonUSA since you don't want to Google 'nice rack'.
just4tehhalibut

Postby lcfc » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:42 am

Definitely not googling that at work ;)

I think I'll go with the Tubus Logo, it would be nice to source it locally so I can get it mounted but the a certain shop in Newtown hasn't got back to me. Might take a chance and purchase from Bike24 along with the lower mounting rack too.
lcfc

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:12 am

Only a few shops in Aus will be able to get it such as abbortsfordcycles. $170 vs $127 and a 3-4 week wait for ze germans and only a bit dearer from wiggle for $136.20 with free shipping and most likely supply in 1-2 weeks
I know who I'd go with...
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

Tubus Racks

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:26 am

Tubus are the gold standard in racks.

Since you have disc brakes it would be wise to stay with the Disco rather than risk another rack not fitting. And 20kg capacity is plenty.

Also you will easily be able to fit it yourself.

Does your bike have eyelets on the seat stays? If not, you will need to also buy the clamp set for seat stay mounting.

I'd be buying from Wiggle if they have the stock.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby lcfc » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:44 am

@RonK, thanks for the feedback, the bike does have the eyelets on the seat stays so all good there.

My thinking behind going for the classic was not so that I could carry the extra weight but rather having something built to withstand the load and some ;) Wiggle don't seem to have the disco, have you had a bad experience with Bike24 or are you thinking it's easier to return with Wiggle?
lcfc

Tubus Racks

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:26 pm

lcfc wrote:@RonK, thanks for the feedback, the bike does have the eyelets on the seat stays so all good there.

My thinking behind going for the classic was not so that I could carry the extra weight but rather having something built to withstand the load and some ;) Wiggle don't seem to have the disco, have you had a bad experience with Bike24 or are you thinking it's easier to return with Wiggle?

The risk is yours, but if you can't fit it yourself and there are any issues getting it to fit around the disc brakes, then it's going to be your problem. The bike shop will either tell you it can't be fitted, or charge you extra for any adaptations.

I doubt that the construction of the Disco is any less strong than the Logo. I think the lower weight limit on the Disco is due to the skewer mounting - if you use a skewer mount with the Logo you'll likely have the same limit. So I don't see any point in buying a rack with more capacity to gain extra strength.
In any case, the limiting factor is unlikely to be the capacity of the rack - it will more likely be how much your back wheel can handle before spokes start breaking. 20kg is a lot of extra weight on a wheel. I only carry that much distributed front and rear.

No problem with Bike24, but shipping will be much slower and returns more difficult.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby lcfc » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:01 pm

Having never used racks I'm happy to take on-board the experiences of others - thanks for the input, that's helped.
lcfc

Postby queequeg » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:05 pm

Tubus Airy Ti rack on my commuter. I got it from a Touring/Camping place in the UK for $130, which was better than the $400 local price I was quoted!

'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby SchuMi2 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:40 pm

I know it isn't a Tubus but as an option have you thought about the Thule Tour Rack. I had 15kg on it last weekend and never missed a beat.

SchuMi2

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:50 am

Someone local had an issue with Bike24 and a Tubus front rack order last year, the rack got bent and Bike24 investigated, came back that DHL in Germany had told them that the minimal packaging they'd used would be okay for DHL deliveries - maybe in Europe but not on the long trip down south.So if while buying the rack would buying a few spare tubes or folding tyres hurt? Sort of buy your own packing material. If nothing else it would help justify the postage. I still buy from Bike24.
just4tehhalibut

Postby Wingnut » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:41 am

RonK wrote:No problem with Bike24, but shipping will be much slower and returns more difficult.

For anyone's information, I've found Wiggle pretty good so far over the years...bought my Tubus racks from them and any returns I've had have been smooth and easy to process...

Wingnut

Postby lcfc » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:08 am

I've got a decent shopping list and Bike24 came out almost $200 cheaper than wiggle and CRC ;) I do like Wiggle though, always been good to deal with. I'm trying to keep as much of my shopping for the LBS, but sometimes….
lcfc

Postby il padrone » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:53 pm

Wiggle have become a bit funny lately eg. will not sell Ortlieb to Australia. Seem to be in the pay of Mr Harvey. I'd look at German sites eg bike24, starbike or the French site xxcycles.

Tubus are the premium rack (along with a few other more expensive USA steel racks). The Cargo is one of the strongest to use as a rear rack, and depending upon your discs, may well fit on quite well. Generally most hydraulic discs require no special disc-adapted rack - the Cargo will go straight on. Certainly worked for my mate's Hayes hydros.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:23 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:Someone local had an issue with Bike24 and a Tubus front rack order last year, the rack got bent and Bike24 investigated, came back that DHL in Germany had told them that the minimal packaging they'd used would be okay for DHL deliveries - maybe in Europe but not on the long trip down south.

That doesn't quite gel to me. Both the Tubus Tara and the Duo (front racks) are pretty much flat-packed before fitting. I have had several sent from bike24 and Wiggle with no concerns.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Wingnut » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:18 pm

Geo-blocking is becoming more and more predominant these days...

Wingnut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:24 am

il padrone wrote:That doesn't quite gel to me. Both the Tubus Tara and the Duo (front racks) are pretty much flat-packed before fitting.

It was the Tubus Nova rack, the hoop has a bit more metalwork to it so doesn't flatpack so well although DHL gave it a try. I inherited the rack and it has been bent back into some sort of hunchbacked but useable shape. Haven't tried it with a load yet. Better to avoid the damage.
just4tehhalibut

Postby Mike Ayling » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:51 pm

il padrone wrote:Wiggle have become a bit funny lately eg. will not sell Ortlieb to Australia. Seem to be in the pay of Mr Harvey. I'd look at German sites eg bike24, starbike or the French site xxcycles.

Wiggle not selling Orlieb into Oz has been going for at least a year now, maybe longer.
Rather than looking at Mr Harvey my money would be on anyone who might be the Australian Importer/Wholesaler for Ortlieb.

Cheers

Mike
Mike Ayling

Postby Warin » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:00 am

Mike Ayling wrote:Rather than looking at Mr Harvey my money would be on anyone who might be the Australian Importer/Wholesaler for Ortlieb.

And ;
An Australian retailer doing price matching getting a better price from said importer. Importer complains to manufacture and they clamp down on Wiggle (or who ever).

------------------------
If you find a better price .. don't pursue 'price matching' as it really just kills competition! Buy it, but don't kill the competition by badgering to the cheapest price, if you want the cheaper price just buy it there and do them, yourself and the rest of us a favor. [If you want the cheaper price and the better service .. your dreaming! If you buy at the cheaper price they'll remember you.]
Warin

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:02 am

Umm... I was kinda joking about Mr Harvey.

I buy my Ortlieb, Tubus and much other gear from bike24; less from Wiggle these days. Prices are great, service is great (ignoring the slow German post)
il padrone

Postby mjg9001 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:55 pm

I ride with Tubus - bombproof. The only comment I'd make is to go for the stainless steel ones rather than the painted ones - over time, the paint rubs, and it's you're not careful, rust can set in. So go Tubus Nova over Ergo on the front. Not sure whether they do a stainless rear rack
mjg9001

Next

Return to Touring Bikes and Equipment