Cycling About Take a Look at Using a Mobile Phone Touring

Re: Cycling About Take a Look at Using a Mobile Phone Tourin

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:27 pm

Wingnut wrote:I agree using maps is fun...but it is kinda handy knowing that I can be self contained and not require the use of a power point at a camp ground to charge my phone for a call or check the distance to an alternative location...

And experience (mainly bushwalking but some cycling) tells me that maps, particularly for the bush or forests areas in the south-west WA are often out of date and/or not reflective of what is actually on the ground. More than once have found the GPS and/or map handy, but then I used to do a lot of "off-track" walking.

Funny thing was that this past week I have been updating an old blog post where we relied on a map ... only to find the marked road was no longer ... it is now well and truly farm land. Maybe should have relied on the GPS, except I didn't have one with me then :)

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

by BNA » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:32 pm

BNA

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:32 pm

Andy wrote:Hema maps comes in android flavour too for us plebs http://www.hemamaps.com.au/Home/Hema-Explorer-app/android

Thanks for the heads-up. $50.00... would like to try it first for those dollars to see if it is really $50 better than using Google Maps.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby Andy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:09 pm

I agree. I haven't looked into it properly as no need for now but it would be good if they had a try before you buy time period.
Andy

Postby RonK » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:24 am

Aushiker wrote:
Andy wrote:Hema maps comes in android flavour too for us plebs http://www.hemamaps.com.au/Home/Hema-Explorer-app/android

Thanks for the heads-up. $50.00... would like to try it first for those dollars to see if it is really $50 better than using Google Maps.

Andrew

The Hema app seems relatively expensive compared with other apps - until you check the prices of their printed map books. Then it doesn't seem quite so expensive for the convenience and coverage.

One thing I can't determine though is if the route creator does auto routing - there is nothing more painful than entering multitudes of waypoints to create an accurate route.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby Warin » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:01 am

The Hemma maps I have are not that useful in cities (where you'd want auto routing). They don't have the details you can get with a sat image. But they are accurate for what they have.

There was a map shop in northern Paramatta that had the computer maps on a PC so you could see what you were buying.
Warin

Postby Andy » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:44 pm

There's a map shop not far from me so I'll see what they have when I get over that way.
Andy

Previous

Return to Touring Bikes and Equipment