Camps 7 (map book)

Camps 7 (map book)

Postby rifraf » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:44 pm

Ok, I was given an out of date one of these types of book on my last tour and thought I'd invest in a new one.
Theres two versions (and prices) available it appears, one with pictures of the mentioned campspots, and one without.
The out of date version I had, now binned, didnt have any pics and I dont think I missed out on anything due to me not really using their mentioned campsites on more than a handful of occasions, but I did appreciate the maps with their readable distance indicators and available town services.
Any thoughts before I look at making a purchase decision?
http://www.campsaustraliawide.com/

Another title I saw in a camping shop was
South West WA Atlas & Guide, which I think may be this one:
http://www.exploroz.com/Shop/Hema+South ... Guide.aspx
although the website price is half what I saw in the shop so I may not have the correct book having
written it down too hastily. :oops:
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.
rifraf

by BNA » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:40 pm

BNA

Re: Camps 7 (map book)

Postby RonK » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:40 pm

rifraf wrote:Any thoughts before I look at making a purchase decision?

Yep - now that you have an iPhone, why would you bother with a book? There a quite a few camping apps on iTunes. Start with wikicamps.

Hmmm, just remembered I promised you a list of apps - ok, I'll get cracking on it.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby Aushiker » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:50 am

From a WA perspective from what I have seen it is a total waste of money. Very poor coverage.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby rifraf » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:10 pm

Aushiker wrote:From a WA perspective from what I have seen it is a total waste of money. Very poor coverage.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,
Either or both?

Cheers :)
rifraf

Postby RonK » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:14 pm

Aushiker wrote:From a WA perspective from what I have seen it is a total waste of money. Very poor coverage.

If you are referring to the app, perhaps - it's a wiki after all. But it's just an example, and an inexpensive one. There are plenty to choose from.

Camps Australia Wide is available as an app at a considerable discount to the book. Why would you want to pay more to lug a pile of paper around with you?

And if you want maps then Memory Map and Hema both have apps. I think these are probably better suited to an iPad or laptop, but offer vast and detailed coverage without needing to lug about lots of paper maps.
Last edited by RonK on Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RonK

Postby Aushiker » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:15 pm

rifraf wrote:

Andrew

Hi Andrew,
Either or both?

Cheers :)

Camps 7 (book) is the one I was referring to. Don't recall the other one but if same publisher ....

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby RonK » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:21 pm

wikiCamps shows 2026 sites in WA, and 11630 Australia wide so far - for less than $5...
RonK

Postby rifraf » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:54 pm

RonK wrote:wikiCamps shows 2026 sites in WA, and 11630 Australia wide so far - for less than $5...

Hi RonK,
thanks for the heads up.
Sorry for the delay to answering but I was trying to get out and Andrews answer was much easier to respond to on the spot.
Happy to look at Apps but yet to really get my head around the phone.
Barely able to answer and txt so far.
I got an "Idiots Guide" but have yet to find time to delve into it.
Reminds me, I must renew it as its a library book and just about due.
No further really with the Macbook although I've got the scrolling up and down sorted.
I think its the tabs I'm struggling with.
I'm getting old so new stuff isnt intuitive anymore.
Getting more and more retro grouch and hate learning new things that are sold on making my time more productive but only once I've spent months familiarising myself with them enough to blooming well use.
I have the same issue with my dslr.
I bought a new D7000 Nikon, which I barely use due to its menu being more convoluted than my now ancient Sony F717.
I reach for the Sony 9.9 times out of 10.
Still turn on my ancient Compaq laptop that take a cup of coffee drunk to fire up instead of the Mac and miss my Nokia 5510 cell phone.
Everything else is just a time suck of nonsense that I can never remember.
Garmin Edge is the same.
Cant find the instruction manual lately and thus now its just an expensive speedo although I do admit to enjoying being aware of the cadence.
I'm having one of those days if you haven't guessed. :|
rifraf

Postby just4tehhalibut » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:05 am

Haven't used the app but the book sucked. It was being used as the primary tool on a recent interstate trip until I managed to pry it away from the 'navigator' and take a look, the bigger picture is that it gives a sample of campsites for a region, not all the candidates. On the way into Adelaide it recommended a small, quiet caravan park site that it turned out had a truck stop next to it, railway behind and semis running all night on the road past the entrance. In Adelaide it didn't even show that huge caravan site on West Beach near the airport, all that green grass and prime weekend cycling routes nearby. Or the Belair park that we eventually settled on. There is only so much paper that can be applied to a map and descriptions of each campsite so they sampled but the choices of campsite that they documented wasn't good either. It was lucky that I knew the area, more so that another in our party knew how to use a phone to Google details.

Leave the book at home, take notes maybe but rely on better quality maps and maybe supplemented with what your phone can provide enroute.
just4tehhalibut

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:35 am

Rifraf if you are looking for a book on camping sites in WA then I suggesting checking out Jan Holland’s title, A Guide to Priceless Campsites & Rest Areas in the North of Western Australia and her south-west title, A Guide to Priceless Campsites & Rest Areas in the South of Western Australia. I have both and find them to be a very good resource. Note that they are plain books, printed in black and white and focused on information, detailed information. Also two books for WA ... that says something.

Hunting for the above information I recalled I had also written a review of The Guide to Free-Camping in the North of WA ... wasn't overly impressed with that either.

Andrew
Aushiker

Camps 7 (map book)

Postby RonK » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:09 am

rifraf wrote:Happy to look at Apps but yet to really get my head around the phone.
No further really with the Macbook although I've got the scrolling up and down sorted.
Getting more and more retro grouch and hate learning new things that are sold on making my time more productive but only once I've spent months familiarising myself with them enough to blooming well use.

Hehe - well I doubt that you are any older than I am. And it would be a terrible waste of money to buy an iPhone and then not use its tremendous power. There is a wonderland of apps out there, most quite cheap, many free.

Does your landlady have kids? They can probably give you lessons. :lol:

So fire up that Macbook and if you don't already have iTunes installed, open the App Store and download it, or plug in your iPhone and it should start downloading it for you.

If I recall correctly you bought an iPhone 5s, so the first thing you should download is the free Apple users guide for iOS7. Take that book back to library where it belongs.

Here are just a few of the apps I find useful for touring. I've kept it to a short list as there are many, many more. You can search for them in iTunes and download them, then plug in your iPhone and sync them.

Google Maps - go to app for trip planning, basic navigation help, even finding local businesses, such as bike shops, supermarkets, restaurants, accommodation etc.
Google - easier than using a browser.
Tunein Radio - digital radio.
mSecure - secure vault for your passwords and sensitive information
Audible - player for audiobooks. Leave the hardcopy at home and listen as you ride. Audible is an Amazon company - you create an account then you can buy books and download them. They are great when the road is long and the scenery uninteresting.
Travel Health - by Dr. Debbie Mills. Don't leave home without it.
First Aid (St John Ambulance) - ditto.
SAS Survival Guide - 'cos you never know when you might need it (until you need it).
Which Bank? - whatever your bank it will very likely have an app
eBay
Paypal
XE - Currency converter
Biologic BikeBrain - bike computer. There are a gazillion of these, this one has the nicest user interface I've found.
BikeMatePro - another bike computer. Can upload tracks for navigation.
GPS Kit - if you just want a GPS.
Track Editor - useful for trimming tracks downloaded from the internet. Then upload them to the bike computer or GPS apps.
Bike Gears - gear calculator.
Track My Tour - handy way to journal your trip so others can follow your progress.
Maps With Me - excellent offline mapping for cyclists.
Wiki Camps - camp sites across Australia. You can also add any new sites you find.
Google Drive - stores travel documents - scan of passport, flight itineraries, travel insurance, guide books etc. in the cloud.
GoodReader - Probably the best reader for large PDF files, such as the chapters of Lonely Planet guides stored on Google Drive
Pocket Weather Australia - there are plenty to choose from but this one I like the best.
Willy Weather - best for wind information.
Tapatalk - read and post BNA and other forums.

The rest are travel and accommodation apps:
Warm Showers - couch surfing for touring cyclists
Wotif
Hostelworld
Kayak
Expedia
Trip Advisor
RonK

Postby rifraf » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:26 pm

RonK wrote:Hehe - well I doubt that you are any older than I am. And it would be a terrible waste of money to buy an iPhone and then not use its tremendous power. There is a wonderland of apps out there, most quite cheap, many free.

Does your landlady have kids? They can probably give you lessons. :lol:

So fire up that Macbook and if you don't already have iTunes installed, open the App Store and download it, or plug in your iPhone and it should start downloading it for you.

If I recall correctly you bought an iPhone 5s, so the first thing you should download is the free Apple users guide for iOS7. Take that book back to library where it belongs.

Here are just a few of the apps I find useful for touring. I've kept it to a short list as there are many, many more. You can search for them in iTunes and download them, then plug in your iPhone and sync them.

Google Maps - go to app for trip planning, basic navigation help, even finding local businesses, such as bike shops, supermarkets, restaurants, accommodation etc.
Google - easier than using a browser.
Tunein Radio - digital radio.
mSecure - secure vault for your passwords and sensitive information
Audible - player for audiobooks. Leave the hardcopy at home and listen as you ride. Audible is an Amazon company - you create an account then you can buy books and download them. They are great when the road is long and the scenery uninteresting.
Travel Health - by Dr. Debbie Mills. Don't leave home without it.
First Aid (St John Ambulance) - ditto.
SAS Survival Guide - 'cos you never know when you might need it (until you need it).
Which Bank? - whatever your bank it will very likely have an app
eBay
Paypal
XE - Currency converter
Biologic BikeBrain - bike computer. There are a gazillion of these, this one has the nicest user interface I've found.
BikeMatePro - another bike computer. Can upload tracks for navigation.
GPS Kit - if you just want a GPS.
Track Editor - useful for trimming tracks downloaded from the internet. Then upload them to the bike computer or GPS apps.
Bike Gears - gear calculator.
Track My Tour - handy way to journal your trip so others can follow your progress.
Maps With Me - excellent offline mapping for cyclists.
Wiki Camps - camp sites across Australia. You can also add any new sites you find.
Google Drive - stores travel documents - scan of passport, flight itineraries, travel insurance, guide books etc. in the cloud.
GoodReader - Probably the best reader for large PDF files, such as the chapters of Lonely Planet guides stored on Google Drive
Pocket Weather Australia - there are plenty to choose from but this one I like the best.
Willy Weather - best for wind information.
Tapatalk - read and post BNA and other forums.

The rest are travel and accommodation apps:
Warm Showers - couch surfing for touring cyclists
Wotif
Hostelworld
Kayak
Expedia
Trip Advisor

A huge effort RonK :!:
Must have taken you ages :oops:
Thanks heaps :!: :D
rifraf

Postby alfine8 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:42 am

Happy to look at Apps but yet to really get my head around the phone.
I have the same issue with my dslr.
I bought a new D7000 Nikon, which I barely use due to its menu being more convoluted than my now ancient Sony F717.
I reach for the Sony 9.9 times out of 10.
Still turn on my ancient Compaq laptop that take a cup of coffee drunk to fire up instead of the Mac and miss my Nokia 5510 cell phone.
Everything else is just a time suck of nonsense that I can never remember.
Garmin Edge is the same.
Cant find the instruction manual lately and thus now its just an expensive speedo although I do admit to enjoying being aware of the cadence.

Hi RiffRaff,
Reading that reply, I was nodding my head, thinking that's me 100%.
Recently bought an app to learn a few Thai words. Turned it on, looked at the index in english, couldn't go any further.

By the way, what happened to the Moulton.
alfine8

Postby rifraf » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:46 pm

alfine8 wrote:
Hi RiffRaff,
Reading that reply, I was nodding my head, thinking that's me 100%.
Recently bought an app to learn a few Thai words. Turned it on, looked at the index in english, couldn't go any further.

By the way, what happened to the Moulton.

G'day Alfine8,
the much loved Moulton was sold within a couple of hours of putting up the thread:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=70165
:(

A difference of opinion with my landlady saw me with a potential accommodation crisis.
We mended our fences for now but I immediately went into downsize mode.
The Moulton really wasnt the best for touring in Australias long distances due to its inability to carry enough water.
I'm attempting to negate that issue with a heavier duty bike in my Surly Ogre. :idea:
rifraf

Postby alfine8 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:25 pm

rifraf wrote:
alfine8 wrote:

G'day Alfine8,
the much loved Moulton was sold within a couple of hours of putting up the thread:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=70165
:(
:

Gee, the buyer was lucky.
alfine8

Return to Touring Bikes and Equipment