Cycle shoes for touring?

TheShadow

Re: Cycle shoes for touring?

Postby TheShadow » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:18 am

I have no love for Shimano shoes. They just have 1/2 the market at my price point. I suspect they've helped shut down the few manufacturers of wider shoes. But I think I will just be able to get something at a modest price that I can work with that doesn't cause pain and injury or even slow me down measurably...much like the SH R087 I have now. It's hardly a glowing recommendation for the shoes. Just as long as I don't spend money on something I ultimately have to throw away; although there is always EBay these days. :roll:

As you allude to, I could spend a lot of time running around to various lbs around the city and struggle to find many of the models I'm interested in, in my size. And even if they did, I'm not sure that the cycling shoe industry has not simply taken a calculated decision that cyclists with my size/shape of foot are not a market segment big enough to be worth catering to. Possibly it is now more than ever a good idea for wide-feet cyclists to go custom. :?

I have enquired about that a few years ago. I forget the exact price but it was a lot. Mind you, compared to a few pairs of shoes that you buy and then just can't use, half a dozen trips to physios and Podiatrists, pain and suffering - damage - and that's not a cheap option either!

I do take your point about walking, also. But I'm probably not going to be fording creeks in the next 6 months, like you are. I'm not real keen to get into the mud and bull dust, either. Does that make me more of a 'Soft-Roader' than an 'Off-Roader'? :? In the short term, I don't think I'll be doing much pushing in metropolitan areas. With granny gears, a modest load, and sticking to hard surfaces, I think I still have enough strength and bloody-mindedness to not get off and push. But I could be wrong. It's happened once before. :lol:

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:23 am

Like you Ron et al, I've struggled to find the ideal touring shoe. Shimano ime can be narrow and as for designs many leave a lot to be desired. A cycling friend bought some Shimano RT82 shoes and I followed suit and have been happy with their comfort and shape. For touring and general riding they have been the best I've had. I did however go up another size based on extensive reviews I read. FWIW I tried the Shimano 3 strap sandals but found them heavy and they feel tight after a few kms despite not cinching them up.

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:36 am

Louis Garneau shoes seem to be a wider fit than Shimano. I have a broad foot too.
I've been wearing a now discontinued model of LG lace-up Strada shoes for touring for several years.
Well made, real leather upper in parts, recessed cleats and good rubber grip for pushing a heavy load up either bitumen or dirt steep hills.
Next time I'll be looking at something like these;
http://www.louisgarneau.com/ca-en/produ ... LING_SHOES

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:38 pm

I don't use Shimano shoes but I have heard others comment on the narrowness of them as Ron mentioned.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:58 pm

BTW, for those who are comfortable wearing shoes with a narrow last, I have a pair of Shimano's top of the line Goretex-lined MT-60 shoes in EU size 47, worn only twice. I'm happy to do a deal on these if anyone is interested, PM me. I'll throw in a set of SH56 multi-release cleats as well.

Last edited by RonK on Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:08 pm

I use the Shimano RT-82 shoes for commuting, and road riding on my steel steed.
I find them quite comfortable, and as with others have gone up a size from normal.
I've also got a pair of MT-42 Shoes which I really don't wear very much anymore. I have RT-31's as a backup to my RT-82, and I also have some Specialized Rime Shoes with a Vibram sole. They are a Mountain bike shoe though.
I've thought about trying the Specialized Audax shoes, but have not had a chance to hunt down a shop that stocks them.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:19 pm

queequeg wrote:I use the Shimano RT-82 shoes for commuting, and road riding on my steel steed.
I find them quite comfortable, and as with others have gone up a size from normal.
Ditto - RT82s used for everything inc touring.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

TheShadow

Postby TheShadow » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:03 pm

The RT82 look good. It took me a while to realise that's all rubber on the sole. Combine that with the recessed spd cleat, and that has got to be better than 'walking' on the two tips at the rear of your cleats on a regular road shoe. I'm not criticizing it - it's the most you can do with a road shoe - but you still cannot walk properly in it. I don't think you could walk around a supermarket in them like you could, at a stretch, with mtb shoes. I think you would need some flip-flops or sandals, which I would not completely dismiss doing. At that price, if you had only one dual-purpose bike, and one set of pedals you left on it permanently, you might buy RT82 for longer road rides and commuting, and either MTB or Tourer/Lace-ups for short trips to shops and off-road rides.

I do have one question though. I'm not trying to put the RT82 down. Does the RT82 do anything an M089 (mtb shoe) doesn't do? Both pretty rigid, 3 straps. Both have limited walking capability on pavement.

If you want shoes you can really walk in, I think you're going to have to accept some compromises. It's hard to let go of wanting a 100% rigid sole and 3 straps. I'm leaning towards one of the Vibram Shimano shoes. It's really not much dearer than an RT82. Actually, atm they're the same price as RT82 PLUS a pair of Adidas slides. :mrgreen: I'm trying not to think of that. (Thinks: Must. Be. Practical.)

I think it's only a small risk the MTs won't be almost the same as my R087 Wide, given it is almost too big for me. It's a 48...if you're having serious width issues, you gotta be prepared to go the 'clown-shoe' route with Shimano. :lol: I've discovered I can live with that. That was my reasoning for buying the cheaper 'ridiculously-large-by-my standards' R087 in the first place...it was an experiment.

I looked at the LG. Not much cheaper. Not a bad sole, but not beefy MT Vibram standard either. Yes, the sizing looks better: I think I could get the same width in a 6mm shorter shoe, maybe more if I could actually get say a half size 46.5...but I am past caring about that so much anymore. I've lived with the R087 long enough to get used to it.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:27 pm

I walk everywhere in my RT-82 shoes without any issues. I'm not hiking in them, but as a Road Touring shoe, they are designed to walk in when you're off the bike.
They are lighter than a mountain bike shoe and have a fairly rigid sole. My RT-31 Shoes are flimsy in comparison, if that at all helps.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

TheShadow

Postby TheShadow » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:46 pm

Thanks. I was starting to wonder that even before I finished typing the whole reply. Tried Googling it. Saw one review on c r c saying you can't really walk normally in them. At first look at the shape of them, it looks like the ball area of the foot is too convex to walk normally, and then there's a separate heel that contacts the ground at the back....which I guess is what a traditional men's shoe and many work boots do. RT82 just curves up more at the front.

So you would happily wander around a suburban shopping complex for 30 min without risk of slipping or falling? They can take that once or twice a week without rapidly wearing out the soles? Basically they can walk anywhere on pavement? Only real limitation is traction if you get off a hard surface?

EDIT: I just blew up the image of them onto full screen and spun them around a few times. The heel is just those two little pieces of rubber. I don't know if they're replaceable or not. But that's a lot less than even say a M089 mtb shoe has on the heel, and I'd figured THEY must wear out fast. An MT71 is probably a way more substantial sole than I need right now, but at the complete other extreme I'm wary of those very tiny heel supports on mtb or MT82. The LG Escape is somewhat of a middle ground by comparison...a less full-on MT71, for a THIRD the money at RRP.
Last edited by TheShadow on Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyclotaur

Cycle shoes for touring?

Postby cyclotaur » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:08 pm

I don't 'walk around' in my RT82s much.... just they are a versatile riding shoe and I'm too stingy to buy another shoe just for touring. I only do that 2-3 times per year for short 4-7 day trips. Even then I usually take a more comfy pair of lightweight walkers/slip-ons for 'walking around' at night.

RT82s are fine to wear all day and go shopping in etc but at night you want to give your feet a rest.

TheShadow

Postby TheShadow » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:22 pm

I"m stingy also. :mrgreen: They're certainly more versatile than a straight road shoe. How are the soles wearing? Especially those little pieces on the heels?

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:54 pm

TBH I really don't do much walking on them - I've had mine nearly 3 years, ridden 25000+kms and no apparent wear on the soles. On the original cleats as well !

I'm pretty easy on gear though....

kb

Postby kb » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:59 am

I wonder what these would be like for light touring with road style pedals. Not sure if they're actually obtainable anywhere :-)

http://www.lookcycle.com/en/uk/route/pe ... uring.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:14 am

They look like cycling shoes. That is what I try to avoid.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

TheShadow

Postby TheShadow » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:01 pm

Tim wrote:Louis Garneau shoes seem to be a wider fit than Shimano. I have a broad foot too.
I've been wearing a now discontinued model of LG lace-up Strada shoes for touring for several years.
Well made, real leather upper in parts, recessed cleats and good rubber grip for pushing a heavy load up either bitumen or dirt steep hills.
Next time I'll be looking at something like these;
http://www.louisgarneau.com/ca-en/produ ... LING_SHOES
I'm not trying to put you on the spot or anything, but I just rang Avanti Cycles at Croydon, Vic regarding LG Escape...all sounded positive until I asked about sizing. He said they did not sell Shimano and couldn't offer any comparison to their sizing, but after going and speaking with the manager he said LG are NARROWER than even Shimano. Can that be right? Is that even physically possible?

It's quite possible their sizing has even changed sometime recently. I did some Googling on Carnac shoes, because they USED to be wide...apparently that is no longer the case since about 2006, if what I read is to be believed. I think it was some forum connected to Colorado Cyclist. Not that that's terribly relevant since you just about can't find any Carnac shoes anymore.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:34 pm

The Louis Garneau Strada shoes I wear are about 5 years old. Their sizing may have changed over that time but mine are one size smaller (41) than the Shimano road shoes I also wear (42). They are definitely a wider fit though almost exactly the same length.
That LG shoes are even narrower than Shimano shoes sounds like an off the cuff, probably ill or uninformed opinion.
Who knows? Best thing is to try a pair on.
I suspect shoe widths vary from model to model and differ between road and mountain bike/touring models, within a single manufacturers range.

TheShadow

Postby TheShadow » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:26 am

Feeling vey frustrated after hours of reading reviews of all types giving their opinions on various model Shimano shoes and their sizing, I decided to introduce a little more objectivity into the analysis. So, armed with a steel ruler and some dial gauge vernier callipers, I headed out to some lbs for a couple of hours field research. I've tabulated my findings below. 8) If you own, or try on any Shimano cycling shoe, you can use that experience with this table to anticipate your fit with other Shimano shoes. :mrgreen:

http://www.shimano-lifestylegear.com/gl ... _lasts.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheShadow

Postby TheShadow » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:01 am

It would seem Avanti Cycles at Croydon were correct. I emailed LG.com asking them if the Escape is narrower than a std Shimano, as I had been told by the Australian dealer.

Their reply:
Thanks for your email,

This is correct. We believe in a closer feel in order to have greater control and power transfer.
As always however, we recommend that you return to your local Louis Garneau dealer to try a pair. Please inquire with our distributor in Australia, Monza Imports, http://www.monzaimports.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for further information on our products and retail locations.