Cycle Sports UK - Ortleib Export

Cycle Sports UK - Ortleib Export

Postby Tim » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:02 pm

I posted a query in the Buying a Bike/Parts forum as to whether anyone had dealt with

http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/adventure-c-497.html?manufacturers_id=237.

Of interest to tourers is that they export a very comprehensive range of Ortleib gear. Search by brand under the Outdoor Pursuits button and the Cycling Leisure MTB Road button for the full range of stock.
As Wiggle no longer supply Ortleib to Aus this may be a good option though I haven't compared any prices yet.
Tim

by BNA » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:22 pm

BNA

Re: Cycle Sports UK - Ortleib Export

Postby il padrone » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:22 pm

Prices seem to be comparable, or even a little higher than SJS Cycles. Bikepacker Plus rear panniers are 133 Pds; SJS list them for 124 Pds. Backroller Plus are 114 Pds; SJS have them for 98 Pds.

It would probably all come down to who gives the better deal on shipping. They do have a huge range of Ortlieb gear, including moto bags and all sorts of rucksacks, 5L, 10L and 20L buckets..... even the Ortlieb toilet-roll holder :P
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Tim » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:04 pm

il padrone wrote: ...5L, 10L and 20L buckets..

There's even a 50L waterproof car boot liner. Big enough to bathe in. :D

IP, I still admire your bucket/kitchen sink. It is the 10L version I presume?
Tim

Postby il padrone » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:02 pm

Yes, it's 10L.

I could not imagine trying to haul a 20L full bucket out of the creek and up the bank to my campsite. Whoops..... splash :P
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Wingnut » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:31 am

il padrone wrote:Prices seem to be comparable, or even a little higher than SJS Cycles.

Higher than SJS! I didn't think that was possible... :mrgreen:
"It never gets easier, you just go faster..." - Greg Lemond

"Because technology alone is a poor substitute for experience." - Richard Sachs
Wingnut

Postby il padrone » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:55 am

Yes, that SJS price for Bikepacker Plus panniers works out to be almost exactly the same as St Kilda Cycles price - $279. On further checking even the Bike24 price for Bikepacker Plus is $270 (haven't worked out the VAT deduction/shipping added, but it usually only adds a little, maybe $10-20).

Ten years ago when I frst looked into buying my rear panniers, the Bikepacker Classics were about $320 in Australia iirc correctly. I saved over $100 in buying the ortlieb full set from Germany at the time. So it seems some local prices have become much more competitive - all a very good thing. Dont shop at Cyclesports UK, just order it from St Kilda Cycles.
il padrone

Postby Wingnut » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:33 pm

il padrone,

I've started buying a few more items local (St Kilda Cycles, Bike Bug), while still a little more expensive than overseas the sacrifice of paying a bit more is outweighed by the ease of warranty issues etc...eg. I had to return an Ortleib saddle bag that wasn't listed in Wiggle's info as not being compatible with BROOKS saddles, I sent it back but lost a fair chunk of the credit in postage...
"It never gets easier, you just go faster..." - Greg Lemond

"Because technology alone is a poor substitute for experience." - Richard Sachs
Wingnut

Postby onrbikes » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:11 am

if you look at the wiggle uk site all the ortlieb still comes up.
If you know someone there or trust a warmshower host to post it may be a better option.
I had my bike sent to a host who stored t for 4 months.

www.wiggle.co.uk
change the currency to aus and have a look.

You gotta love free trade. Thats only good until the dealers start jumping up and down.
onrbikes

Postby philmart » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:43 am

Hi Tim

Perhaps a bit old now but I have purchased from them two or three times and two of the orders had Ortlieb panniers in them. Converting over with today's rates I got the

Sport Packer Plus for 168.00 and the Bike Packer Plus for 197.00

I ordered past their limit to get free freight (which from memory is around the 200.00 mark).

Their website is a bit weird in that when you change to AUD and say you are from Australia, all sorts of weird prices show, but found that it either sorted itself out in the shopping cart, and where it didn't had a quick response back from their contact us page.

If goods are not in stock but 2-3 days out, I would probably add another week to that (at least from my experience). Once sent, it took about 10 days to get to me.

Edit to say that these were on some sort of special at the time, but were the cheapest I could come up with searching the web
philmart

Postby Mike Ayling » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:44 pm

il padrone wrote:Yes, that SJS price for Bikepacker Plus panniers works out to be almost exactly the same as St Kilda Cycles price - $279. On further checking even the Bike24 price for Bikepacker Plus is $270 (haven't worked out the VAT deduction/shipping added, but it usually only adds a little, maybe $10-20).

Ten years ago when I frst looked into buying my rear panniers, the Bikepacker Classics were about $320 in Australia iirc correctly. I saved over $100 in buying the ortlieb full set from Germany at the time. So it seems some local prices have become much more competitive - all a very good thing. Dont shop at Cyclesports UK, just order it from St Kilda Cycles.

Alternatively the overseas suppliers are raising their prices to just below local prices!

I have just checked prices on a Garmin Etrex 30 and assuming i am comparing apples to apples Wiggle and CRC are just over the AUD$300 mark (assuming "free" postage at that level) and Johnny Appleseed here in Oz are quoting AUD$299.

Re Ortlieb prices:
June 2011 I paid $149.40 at Wiggle for a pair of Bike packer Classic panniers.
Possibly a year earlier (I cannot see a date on the Wiggle Receipt I paid $131.37 for a paid of back Roller Classic panniers.
Those were the days!

Mike
Mike Ayling

Postby Slammin Sammy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:57 am

il padrone wrote:Yes, that SJS price for Bikepacker Plus panniers works out to be almost exactly the same as St Kilda Cycles price - $279. On further checking even the Bike24 price for Bikepacker Plus is $270 (haven't worked out the VAT deduction/shipping added, but it usually only adds a little, maybe $10-20).

Best prices for Ortleib gear that I know of is The Touring Store in Fort Collins Colorado USA ( http://www.thetouringstore.com/index.htm ). The Bike Packer Plus pair is listed there for US$204.00, which is currently A$225 (plus shipping). Matched sets bought together are somewhat cheaper again, and Wayne sells EVERYTHING Ortleib, as well as Tubus, Thule, Lone Peak and Busch & Mueller. Plus, he's a heck of a nice guy and even sends lollies along in your order!

Low prices and great service - the Australian retailers of touring gear still have some way to go!

Sam
Slammin Sammy

Postby alfine8 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:37 pm

It's true what you say about Wayne over at the Touring Store, as I bought a pair of Bike Packer Plus off him a couple of years ago.

And just last week I checked his prices again, as above, and I compared prices in Australia at the moment, and couldn't believe that they are priced at $199au at Pushy's. Ordered a pair straight away and arrived the next day with free postage.
I don't really believe their regular price they have got crossed out, but that doesn't matter.

I know it is strange to get anything cheaper than a store in America, so I'm still mystified by the prices.
I just checked bike24 prices in Germany and they are $270AU minus sales tax 19% + shipping of $30.
alfine8

Return to Touring Bikes and Equipment