Advice needed- building a VWR

Advice needed- building a VWR

Postby Rohula » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:45 pm

Hello all,

I am new to this. I have been cycling for many years and have wanted to start touring. I had been looking at bikes for a while and then on a bit of an unthought out whim, I bought a 2008 VWR frame and fork I saw on eBay. I did think, "How hard can it be?" Maybe I was drunk.

I thought I'd buy the parts and put it together myself. With a lot of internetting and using the specs on the Vivente site (and emails to Noel who was spectacularly and unselfishly helpful)I figured out parts that might fit. The wheels seemed the biggest problem- beyond me to build and no one seems to sell ready made touring wheelsets.

My initial enthusiasm was weakened by misgivings- will it fit together? Will I end up with a bucket of bits and a lot of frustration? I then contacted the local bike shop and got a quote for all the bits and a set of built up wheels. They were great but the bottom line was well more than a new VWR.

That leads me here for advice. Should I just buy the new bike? I like the idea of slowly putting it all together- I can get most of the parts pretty cheap on the net and I am ok with a spanner. Or will it be a bit of a headache and end up costing more than the new bike? Can I get good wheels built for less than $600? That seems the real killer.

Help greatly appreciated.
Rohula

by BNA » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:29 pm

BNA

Re: Advice needed- building a VWR

Postby Uncle Just » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:29 pm

I like the idea of slowly putting it all together- I can get most of the parts pretty cheap on the net and I am ok with a spanner. Or will it be a bit of a headache and end up costing more than the new bike?

If the sums add up go for it. Putting a bike together with carefully chosen parts is not hard with all the info around today on the net. You might need a few extra tools but they are worth it for future servicing needs. You also have the template for what ideally works on a VWR as they are continually improving the spec. You then decide if that spec suits your wallet and touring profile and adjust accordingly.

You should be able to build up good wheels for less than $600 even if you source them locally using Deore hubs, Mavic/Velocity/etc 36H rims and stronger DB spokes plus building cost. Ask around for a good wheelbuilder and discuss your needs before committing. I prefer sourcing wheels locally but equally many buy o/s without drama. If you go o/s some report good service from this place http://www.bicyclewheels.com/merchant.m ... ore_Code=B
Uncle Just

Postby rangersac » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:52 pm

Speak to Josh, wheelbuilder (Velo 13) on this forum. I got a set of Mavic Open Pros laced to 105 rims off him which have been faultless and were well within your budget.
De Rosa Macro | Trek 8000ZR | Claud Butler Sovereign
rangersac

Postby RonK » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:39 pm

It is not at all difficult to build up a bike for yourself, and it can be a great learning experience, but it would be rare that you could source parts and build a bike cheaper than you could buy a complete bike - and then would you have all the qualities and features that a new VWR has? - the dynamo hub and lights f'instance.

The VWR is excellent value for money so most likely you would end up with less bike for more money.

Edit: If it's just the wheels holding you back there are bargains to be had like these on eBay.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby Rohula » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:33 pm

Thanks all. The wheel advice especially. RonK, that's exactly what my concern was- spend more for less bike. I think I've added it up ok, although I'm sure there'll be incidentals that I hadn't thought of. I've decided I will have a go- no doubt I will be posting more questions in future.
Rohula

Return to Touring Bikes and Equipment