Cold feet

Espresso_

Cold feet

Postby Espresso_ » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:35 pm

Hi all

What do you recommend to keep the feet warm (and, if possible, dry) on longer cool/wet rides?

I currently wear SPD clipless shoes with some Shimano overshoes that are coming to the end of their life. They seem to work ok, but there are few alternatives that I can see for SPD when compared to SPD-SL and the like.

I need to be able to walk sensibly in my shoes when off the bike with the covers on.

E

find_bruce

Re: Cold feet

Postby find_bruce » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:25 pm

Have a free bump, cause I am curious about any suggestions.

I'm in Sydney so cold is only a problem when it is wet. Seriously considering a pair of shimano mw81 Gore-Tex winter spd boots
Anything you can do, I can do slower

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:17 pm

For years I have used 'oversocks' - they go over socks but inside your shoes. I find they work for me without the hassle of pulling booties on.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:18 am

gabrielle260 wrote:For years I have used 'oversocks' - they go over socks but inside your shoes. I find they work for me without the hassle of pulling booties on.
Got a link ?
Anything you can do, I can do slower

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:15 am

Overshoes? Oversocks? For touring?

I only take one pair of shoes touring, and they have to do everthing - biking, hiking, and ballroom dancing if that's what takes my fancy.

Currently I'm using Northwave Expedition Goretex SPD shoes, but these were superceded first by the Drifter GTX and now the Explorer GTX.

Or if you prefer more of a boot style then the Gran Canion GTX may be an option.

Northwave also make winter shoes, but these would probably be overkill for most tourists.

(Actually, I also take a pair of Zen Oxygen barefoot running shoes for wearing around camp and fording streams, but these fold completely flat and weight bugger all, so no hassle to carry).
Last edited by RonK on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

The_Eggman

Postby The_Eggman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:22 am

Get a pair of the cheap sheepskin inner soles from Woolies and cut them to fit

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:35 am

I got a pair of these with the recent c r c free shipping offer:

http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... -prod45049" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wore them for the first time this morning and my feet were not cold after my 1h20m commute which I started at 6.40am.

The previous two weeks my feet have been the coldest part of me when I got to work, very unpleasant, but I'm very happy with this purchase.

Size 43-44 (L in c r c sizes) fits over my size 44 Shimano road shoes just great.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:25 pm

icebreaker socks from NZ. They're merino wool and keep my feet warm down to about -3 on their own. I find overshoes really annoying to have to pull on and off but these socks are really good. They're not cheap at $50 pop, but you don't need to wash them every day either.

http://us.icebreaker.com/en/womens-sock ... mens-socks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:35 pm

cp123 wrote:icebreaker socks from NZ. They're merino wool and keep my feet warm down to about -3 on their own. I find overshoes really annoying to have to pull on and off but these socks are really good. They're not cheap at $50 pop, but you don't need to wash them every day either.

http://us.icebreaker.com/en/womens-sock ... mens-socks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm not sure if I'm extra sensitive, but I already wear thick merino socks (not icebreaker, but still in the $50/pair neighbourhood) and still have big issues with cold feet.

Perhaps I have particularly venty shoes? I'm riding on Shimano mtb shoes, not touring-specific shoes.

E

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:47 pm

What do you recommend to keep the feet warm (and, if possible, dry) on longer cool/wet rides?

I currently wear SPD clipless shoes with some Shimano overshoes that are coming to the end of their life. They seem to work ok, but there are few alternatives that I can see for SPD when compared to SPD-SL and the like.

I need to be able to walk sensibly in my shoes when off the bike with the covers on.
Overshoes for wet, cold conditions. Neoprene will get wet but keeps you tolerably warm but rain/drips down the leg will always find its way into your socks. You can walk easily with overshoes but they will eventually wear, usually on the heels where they come in contact with the ground.

Cold, dry conditions I use oversocks which can be either the Assos variant or some old black socks with a cut out for the cleats and for winter riding I wear wool socks.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Thu May 01, 2014 5:37 am

find_bruce wrote:
gabrielle260 wrote:For years I have used 'oversocks' - they go over socks but inside your shoes. I find they work for me without the hassle of pulling booties on.
Got a link ?
Sorry - got them from le Knicks in Black Rock years ago. Funnily enough I was in there asking about them before Easter and they have found a pair for me. Once I pick them up, I will let you know.
For touring - they are as light and as bulky as a pair of thick socks. The beauty is that you wear them with your normal cycling shoes.
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat May 03, 2014 12:10 am

Zig Zags from Ground Effect and overshoes if necessary.

Andrew

gabrielle260

Cold feet

Postby gabrielle260 » Sun May 04, 2014 10:07 am

gabrielle260 wrote:
find_bruce wrote:
Got a link ?
Sorry - got them from le Knicks in Black Rock years ago. Funnily enough I was in there asking about them before Easter and they have found a pair for me. Once I pick them up, I will let you know.
For touring - they are as light and as bulky as a pair of thick socks. The beauty is that you wear them with your normal cycling shoes.
Andrew
Just been into Le Knicks. The over socks are from an Italian brand called Teo. They are $35.
The lovely lady at Le Knicks has several pairs left but doesn't have all sizes. You can contact her on info@leknicks.cc

Regarding sizing; I know she has at least one pair of 46/47 as she got 2 pairs in from the warehouse and I only bought 1 pair as we worked out that my original pair lasted over 17 years!!
In the appropriate thread I will post details of the warehouse clearance sale they are having this week,
Andrew

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sun May 04, 2014 4:30 pm

Would shoe tightness across your instep affect circulation? I imagine it would. Canberra is colder than a witches tit so maybe TonyMax suggestion is worth a shot.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:06 am

Espresso_ wrote:Hi all

E
If you have loose fitting shoes any old pair of merino socks will do, if you're using cycling specific socks then wool again...we used to use old shopping bags over our socks if we didn't have shoe covers at the time...feet would get wet with sweat but they were warm...

Shoe covers are just a pain in the arse on Mtb shoes in IMO...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:47 pm

Aushiker wrote:Zig Zags from Ground Effect and overshoes if necessary.

+1 for Zigzags. They are the best warm socks that I use for cold weather cycling.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:34 pm

I might to try a pair of those myself...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:47 pm

I have a set of these ( and gloves ) http://warmthru.com/acatalog/heated-warm-socks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... nothing beats actual heat :D .

Clintoo

Postby Clintoo » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:01 am

I have a pair of these
http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... -prod57565" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
that I pull out for those cold/wet morning commutes. It gets cold over here in perth :)

they do keep your toes nice and toasty, and do a much better job than overshoes on keeping your feet dry. but you still get some ingress of water as it runs down your legs.

I do find they are a bit restrictive up higher up your ankel. Plus the closeure system is just via a lace, so it is not as tight as normal road shoes. it is fine for commuting (i do 30km each way), but I dont tend to wear them on a fast group ride.

other option is just the neoprene toe covers. I have had them on my normal road shoes for a couple of months now. they just stop the cold air coming through the vents.

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:07 pm

Wingnut wrote: If you have loose fitting shoes any old pair of merino socks will do, if you're using cycling specific socks then wool again...we used to use old shopping bags over our socks if we didn't have shoe covers at the time...feet would get wet with sweat but they were warm...

Shoe covers are just a pain in the arse on Mtb shoes in IMO...
^^^What he said. On those minus or single digit cold mornings i use latex gloves under thin full finger MTB gloves and thin fruit & veg' bags for footsies over explorer style socks. A trick i picked up when i used to race motos...lotsa windchill at 200 + km/h!
Take 'em off at first stop for morning tea when the sun is out. And remember to stock up on bags at the supermarket.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:43 pm

As a courier waaay back in the distant 90's I sometimes used bread bags. Had to remember to shake the crumbs out. And yep, I had sweaty, squelchy feet that caused odd looks in elevators but at least they were warm.

Gassy

Postby Gassy » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:54 pm

Covering your feet in baby oil works well apparently, not that I've tried it yet..

Warin

Postby Warin » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:32 pm

Unfortunately shopping bags have a bad rep .. with some places banning them .. bicycle riders, backpackers and motorcyclist all like them for putting stuff in to keep dry.
Oh umm cold feet .. I find my fingers more troublesome .. as I cannot feel the brakes so much when they are very cold. The feet still pedal when cold. You can get rubber over shoes .. need to cut a hole for cleats, they keep the water out (and wind) before you cut the hole. They are hard to get on and off .. and a plastic shopping bag between the over shoe and the shoe helps (if you can spare them from other duties).

Dr_Mutley

Cold feet

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:48 pm

I've worn Sealskinz for a few years now and my ice cold feet have never been warmer...

Thermal merino and waterproof membrane...

http://www.sealskinz.com/US/socks/ke741 ... black.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:12 am

I tried sealskinz gloves in that material, wasn't even slightly impressed... foolishly I took waterproof to mean at least slightly waterproof. Getting soaking wet hands in winter a long way from home wasn't nice... actually it was extremely painful.