Bikepacking - an alternative way of touring...

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 9658
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Bikepacking - an alternative way of touring...

Postby RonK » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:04 am

Aushiker wrote:
RonK wrote:It would be nice to have, but since the local price is $189 it would be cheaper to get a compressor from Supercheap Auto (if I had somewhere to put it). So if I can't seat my tubeless tyres I'll be off to the local servo for some free air.


Didin't pay $189 as I brought it from http://Bike24.net and I cannot take a compressor to the trailhead plus I prefer if possible to have mutli-functionality ...


Interesting subject - Bike24 do have the best prices I've been able to find for the Bontrager TLR Flash and several other offerings. But it's only a matter of a few dollars less than the RRP once shipping costs are added.

I agree that such a pump offers the greatest convenience, but It's a high price to pay considering I'll probably only need to seat tubeless tyres once or maybe twice per year.

Nonetheless, here are the results of my further research, which may be of useful reference to anyone else needing to mount tubeless tyres.

In descending price order:

Topeak JoeBlow Booster Bike24 €126.01 + shipping €19.95 = €145.96 ($AUD217.39)

Lezyne Pressure Over Drive Bike24 €117.56 + shipping €19.95 = €137.51 ($AUD204.81)
This is the cheapest model, there is an alloy version and another with a digital pressure gauge.

Bontrager Flash Charger TLR Bike24 - €105.87 + shipping €19.95 = €125.82 ($AUD187.42)

Giyo AIR TANK Cell Bikes - $119.95 + free shipping

Airshot Pushys - $99.99 + shipping $10.00 = $109.99 Air tank only - pump not included.

Airwave AirBlast Chain Reaction Cycles - $104.99 + free shipping

My choice? The Airwave Airblast. Buy button clicked.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

User avatar
Aushiker
Posts: 21968
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA
Contact:

Re: Bikepacking - an alternative way of touring...

Postby Aushiker » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:33 am

Shipping at http://Bike24.com can be an issue for sure which is why I don't do one off buys there. I only do larger non-urgent orders to offset the postage across a number of items.
Andrew
~ Aushiker.com

eldavo
Posts: 1592
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:21 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Contact:

Re: Bikepacking - an alternative way of touring...

Postby eldavo » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:44 am

One for humour.

AU$185 for Rapha + Apidura version of the Apidura compact seat pack. Sold out.
http://www.rapha.cc/au/en_AU/shop/rapha ... 01XXBLKXXX

$300 and climbing on ebay to get a "used once" example.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/371751118401

Admit I like the reflective strips, but they're mostly pointing to the ground.

Image

User avatar
FXST01
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:16 pm
Location: Perth WA
Contact:

Re: Bikepacking - an alternative way of touring...

Postby FXST01 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:27 am

[quote="eldavo"]One for humour.

AU$185 for Rapha + Apidura version of the Apidura compact seat pack. Sold out.
http://www.rapha.cc/au/en_AU/shop/rapha ... 01XXBLKXXX

$300 and climbing on ebay to get a "used once" example. Sold for $591.45
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/371751118401

Admit I like the reflective strips, but they're mostly pointing to the ground.
Image

eldavo
Posts: 1592
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:21 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Contact:

Re: Bikepacking - an alternative way of touring...

Postby eldavo » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:44 am

FXST01 wrote:$300 and climbing on ebay to get a "used once" example. Sold for $591.45
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/371751118401

Plus the $30 freight... about $620 :lol:

Sydcycler
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:02 pm

Re: Bikepacking - an alternative way of touring...

Postby Sydcycler » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:16 pm

Mugglechops wrote:Get the loop without the sweep

These arrived today. I will test them out on my Krampus. My Bike Bag Dude Jones Bar bag is a pretty good fit too.

Image

Image

Image



After seeing your photos I went ahead and bought one of these Love mud bars and it has transformed my Surly Troll - it feels lighter, nimbler and climbs better just I can only think from a better riding position. I've found another gear. I couldn't credit what a difference to this bike, which i have had for 2 1/2years, this "small change would make. The old bar may have had a slightly higher rise but less sweep back.
I know you have both the Love Mud and Jones Bar and I was wondering, for a 2nd time as I didn't quote you and you may have missed my question, how do you find the bars in comparison. The look of the sweep of the Jones scares me and I think it would turn the bike into a tractor.
I just today found this happy customer as well:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads ... ets.25526/
Cheers.

eldavo
Posts: 1592
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:21 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Contact:

Re: Bikepacking - an alternative way of touring...

Postby eldavo » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:29 pm

I find 25-30 is a sweet spot, but no issue with more, 10-12 and less of BMX to flat bars have comfort issues, but ergo clip on bars can mix it up.

10-12 sweep not as comfy
https://www.instagram.com/p/BF3dK8rtkmR/

Budget Jones-ish bar with 30 degree instead of 45 degree sweep.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLQejuqgMTc/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGELgx4Nklo/

A 30 degree sweep OnOne Mary
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJkMnOVgJpv/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJAeP2CA3ZK/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BFQR-YWNkk_/

Have it all with the Velo Orange Crazy Bar, now similar option from Surly with roll bag cross bar is out (on my future shopping list if not a steel anchor).
https://www.instagram.com/p/BD7yGfqtkkT/

User avatar
Mugglechops
Posts: 2923
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:51 pm
Location: Shoalhaven

Re: Bikepacking - an alternative way of touring...

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:10 pm

Sydcycler wrote:
After seeing your photos I went ahead and bought one of these Love mud bars and it has transformed my Surly Troll - it feels lighter, nimbler and climbs better just I can only think from a better riding position. I've found another gear. I couldn't credit what a difference to this bike, which i have had for 2 1/2years, this "small change would make. The old bar may have had a slightly higher rise but less sweep back.
I know you have both the Love Mud and Jones Bar and I was wondering, for a 2nd time as I didn't quote you and you may have missed my question, how do you find the bars in comparison. The look of the sweep of the Jones scares me and I think it would turn the bike into a tractor.
I just today found this happy customer as well:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads ... ets.25526/
Cheers.


I actually only had them fitted for about 3 days then a guy from Instagram asked me if I wanted to swap them for some Jones bars, so I did.

Image

https://youtu.be/Ndt8Di_TjJE
Image

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 9658
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Bikepacking - an alternative way of touring...

Postby RonK » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:11 am

I spotted the Ultimate Direction PB Adventure Vest 3.0 hydration pack recently and thought it would be interesting to trail runners and bikepackers looking for a little extra carrying capacity. It has more pockets than you can poke a stick at.

Image
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Bmb
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:00 pm

Re: Bikepacking - an alternative way of touring...

Postby Bmb » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 pm

sogood wrote:This fits the topic better!

Image

Love the red straps on the Super Cs! Was that a special? I could only find the normal black straps, which also look good and 'classic' but the red is smart.

Dunno what this is doing in a bikepacking thread...

eldavo
Posts: 1592
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:21 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Contact:

Re: Bikepacking - an alternative way of touring...

Postby eldavo » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:10 am

Search doesn't show that post from sogood in the thread for me, but coincidentally I was moving this tent around reinforcing my need for a modern saddle pack to share across some bikes.

At first if you try and don't succeed...


Try try again.


That tent used for the bulk/weight/shape to emulate saddle bag storage value was something light (2kg?) back in a previous motorcycle life, new never used but not without trying. A fair weather rider's unpreparedness for 2hrs of first winter storm drenching at 110kph to get to the start of a weekend adventure ride, quickly accepted failure and returned 2hrs in same storm drenching as shortest path to end the freezing misery with the best hot shower I've ever had. Before facebook so it possibly didn't even happen :P

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 9658
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Bikepacking - an alternative way of touring...

Postby RonK » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:20 am

Bmb wrote:Dunno what this is doing in a bikepacking thread...

I don't either - why did you post it here?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Bmb
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:00 pm

Re: Bikepacking - an alternative way of touring...

Postby Bmb » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:25 am

RonK wrote:
Bmb wrote:Dunno what this is doing in a bikepacking thread...

I don't either - why did you post it here?

Because I was quoting a post from page 2 of this very thread: viewtopic.php?f=77&t=76218&start=25#p1154419

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 9658
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Bikepacking - an alternative way of touring...

Postby RonK » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:59 pm

Hmmmm - another item of what may well be essential equipment for Oz bikepackers - the Down Under bag.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 9658
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Bikepacking - an alternative way of touring...

Postby RonK » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:35 am

RonK wrote:
Aushiker wrote:
RonK wrote:It would be nice to have, but since the local price is $189 it would be cheaper to get a compressor from Supercheap Auto (if I had somewhere to put it). So if I can't seat my tubeless tyres I'll be off to the local servo for some free air.


Didin't pay $189 as I brought it from http://Bike24.net and I cannot take a compressor to the trailhead plus I prefer if possible to have mutli-functionality ...


Interesting subject - Bike24 do have the best prices I've been able to find for the Bontrager TLR Flash and several other offerings. But it's only a matter of a few dollars less than the RRP once shipping costs are added.

I agree that such a pump offers the greatest convenience, but It's a high price to pay considering I'll probably only need to seat tubeless tyres once or maybe twice per year.

Nonetheless, here are the results of my further research, which may be of useful reference to anyone else needing to mount tubeless tyres.

In descending price order:

Topeak JoeBlow Booster Bike24 €126.01 + shipping €19.95 = €145.96 ($AUD217.39)

Lezyne Pressure Over Drive Bike24 €117.56 + shipping €19.95 = €137.51 ($AUD204.81)
This is the cheapest model, there is an alloy version and another with a digital pressure gauge.

BTW -

Bontrager Flash Charger TLR Bike24 - €105.87 + shipping €19.95 = €125.82 ($AUD187.42)

Giyo AIR TANK Cell Bikes - $119.95 + free shipping

Airshot Pushys - $99.99 + shipping $10.00 = $109.99 Air tank only - pump not included.

Airwave AirBlast Chain Reaction Cycles - $104.99 + free shipping

My choice? The Airwave Airblast. Buy button clicked.

Interesting - Schwalbe is now offering what it calls a Tyre Booster, but looks just like a rebranded Airshot.
Image
Image

BTW - I've put the the $105 Airwave Airblast ordered from CRC to the test, and it worked very well to seat the beads of my ghetto tubeless Soma Cazderos. It's a quality item and excellent value for money.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

User avatar
cancan64
Posts: 1485
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:13 pm
Location: Auckland

Re: Bikepacking - an alternative way of touring...

Postby cancan64 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:12 pm

I just use a gas canister to bead the tyre .... only had 1 failure so far
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 9658
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Bikepacking - an alternative way of touring...

Postby RonK » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:51 pm

cancan64 wrote:I just use a gas canister to bead the tyre .... only had 1 failure so far

I doubt they would produce enough volume to seat MTB tyres - perhaps. But I never use 'em anyway.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

User avatar
cancan64
Posts: 1485
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:13 pm
Location: Auckland

Re: Bikepacking - an alternative way of touring...

Postby cancan64 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:56 pm

You can buy bigger canisters for mtb tyres.... i recn6ly used them on road tyres and cx tyres
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 9658
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Bikepacking - an alternative way of touring...

Postby RonK » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:03 pm

cancan64 wrote:You can buy bigger canisters for mtb tyres.... i recn6ly used them on road tyres and cx tyres

No thanks - I prefer a reusable tyre inflation device.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

User avatar
Aushiker
Posts: 21968
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA
Contact:

Re: Bikepacking - an alternative way of touring...

Postby Aushiker » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:45 am

cancan64 wrote:You can buy bigger canisters for mtb tyres.... i recn6ly used them on road tyres and cx tyres


For 4" tyres?
Andrew
~ Aushiker.com

User avatar
Mugglechops
Posts: 2923
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:51 pm
Location: Shoalhaven

Re: Bikepacking - an alternative way of touring...

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:12 pm

Had a good test of my gear this past weekend. 140km overnighter mostly dirt.

Image
Image

User avatar
Wingnut
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:01 pm
Location: Mornington Peninsula...

Re: Bikepacking - an alternative way of touring...

Postby Wingnut » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:15 am

I'm thinking of trying one of these over the more "traditional" seatpost attached bags used for bike packing...

http://builtbyswift.com/shop/custom-zei ... addle-bag/

User avatar
Aushiker
Posts: 21968
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA
Contact:

Re: Bikepacking - an alternative way of touring...

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:05 pm

Wingnut wrote:I'm thinking of trying one of these over the more "traditional" seatpost attached bags used for bike packing...

http://builtbyswift.com/shop/custom-zei ... addle-bag/


First thought was these are similar to Carradice bags. Carradice gear gets a good wrap particularly in UK forums.
Andrew
~ Aushiker.com

eldavo
Posts: 1592
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:21 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Contact:

Re: Bikepacking - an alternative way of touring...

Postby eldavo » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:58 pm

Mugglechops wrote:Had a good test of my gear this past weekend. 140km overnighter mostly dirt.

Image


Have you got any more details of your trip already posted anywhere? Wondering about tent/bedding etc.

After a few months free of bicycle or parts purchases, the change of weather has prompted a couple splurges, with honourable restraint mention I avoided pre-order of the new purple Rogue Panda Picketpost saddle pack that has the Xpac purple material available from December.

I got some Revelate bikepacking luggage new/unused second hand, that started off by seeking a low-faff saddle pack. Viscacha, Pika, Gas Tank, Jerry Can, and small Sweet Roll, with some of the convenience bits and bobs that hang off for ease of access.

I was initially disappointed with the high-faff of the Viscacha/Pika saddle rail clips that are fiddly to get over regular saddle rails first time without practice.
I was relieved trying it on a Brooks saddle, it felt by comparison that it was made for Brooks saddle rails. The straps and clips just pop out of the Brooks rails, compared to regular saddle that's more of a tilted head stubby fingered fight as the rails are tucked away and the saddle obstructs the straps/clips popping out easily like on the Brooks rails.

I'm hoping as I get to test, that I'll be doing less Thudbuster seatpost sharing with more Brooks saddles matched to bikes, giving me better saddle pack fit, and hopefully low interference with the Fly6 tail light and camera.

I'm not touching the Sweet Roll while I'm on a fitment success high, I will leave that multi-bike faff-hell for when the time is right, let the seeds sow now that I have one in hand :D

User avatar
Wingnut
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:01 pm
Location: Mornington Peninsula...

Re: Bikepacking - an alternative way of touring...

Postby Wingnut » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:21 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Wingnut wrote:I'm thinking of trying one of these over the more "traditional" seatpost attached bags used for bike packing...

http://builtbyswift.com/shop/custom-zei ... addle-bag/


First thought was these are similar to Carradice bags. Carradice gear gets a good wrap particularly in UK forums.


Very similar to the Carradice except for some custom options but uses the Carradice attachments to the saddle...I tend to prefer the more casual look of bikepacking now than the transcontinental look...

Return to “Touring Bikes and Equipment”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users