Bikepacking - an alternative way of touring...

Mugglechops

Re: Bikepacking - an alternative way of touring...

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:51 pm

eldavo wrote:[
Have you got any more details of your trip already posted anywhere? Wondering about tent/bedding etc.

No not posted anywhere. Bedding wise I used a fairly heavy but thick sleeping mat from Kathmandoo and we ended up sleeping in a picnic shelter.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:04 pm

Thanks, it looks like fair weather summer and travelling light will make it an easier start, not having to carry tent, heavy clothes and bedding. The down side is water load, snakes and ticks, the first is easy done, the others... she'll be right and a VB will see me through.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:46 am

My first go at bikepacking on the weekend... it was predominately on sealed roads so I left the road wheels on the bike but will be switch to CX wheels for this weekend

“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

wicksey

Postby wicksey » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:05 pm

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:07 pm

Lonely Planet on the bike packing bandwagon.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/travel-tip ... two-wheels

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:49 pm

Nope - not LP. Links to articles on bike packing and touring web sites.

Several articles are from Bikepacking.com.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:25 pm

I was in pushys today and had a look. It seems pretty good quality. The seat bag doesn't look as big as a Viscacha and the bar roll is about the size of a small sweetroll.

I didn't check prices but in store prices are normally dearer.

wicksey

Postby wicksey » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:57 pm

Mugglechops wrote:

I was in pushys today and had a look. It seems pretty good quality. The seat bag doesn't look as big as a Viscacha and the bar roll is about the size of a small sweetroll.

I didn't check prices but in store prices are normally dearer.

I've picked up the set for $96 during Click Frenzy from Velogear. I think the front roll will be too small if I need the tent.

Just need a frame bag (might have a crack at MYO)

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:03 pm

The Azur looked like a replica of the Apidura saddle pack, but also claims waterproof that the Apidura isn't.

Rapha have Black Friday weekend sale, their Rapha branded Apidura sport seat pack is available again, at AU$185 delivered. If I had some insider info on how many their Chinese factory produced in this production run, I'd consider selling up on ebay once the online store sells out for up to $650+ like the example earlier in the thread, that would pay for all my bike packing luggage and some sweet titanium accessories ;) I love the comments on the Rapha Bidons with some buyers unhappy that the overpriced Rapha branding they want to be seen with, has quickly rubbed off, rated it 1 star and returning them :D

I recently got a set of new Revelate from a guy whose plans changed. Viscacha/Pika/Sweetroll/Gas Tank/Jerry Can and all the little optional dangly bits and straps, I need a day YT video training to learn how they're supposed to work.

I just removed my rear Tubus FAT rack from my summer fat bike, leaving off the firmed-up Thudbuster LT to use a new Ti seatpost for aesthetic emphasis of the Ti frame, and easier handling of the Viscacha/Pika to strap to conventional post, with easy-through attachment on the Brooks rails.

Rogue Panda got their purple stock of the XPac, but by circumstance I got the Revelate suite of gear for not much more than one Picketpost with shipping, so the purple is off the cards.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:10 pm

Wow that is a lot of Rev kit, shame no feed bag, I think it could be my favourite bit of kit for 2016 as it is such an simple yet solid little beast. When I was tossing up about getting a Viscacha I recall some sort of extra strap (on the blog maybe) that lets you run one with a thud buster. When fitting, long fingers helps as does a flatish top saddle with plenty of rails showing, with a brooks, dunno.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:20 pm

Spot on, I saw the instructions they had for Thudbuster, I have velcro to make my own, however I got a new rigid Ti post for cleaner aesthetics while removing the rear rack.

The Brooks are a positive, have bigger exposed rails making the saddle clips pop out like it was made for it with short fingers, compared to regular saddle rails.

I wasn't sure of size with Pika versus Viscacha, but with enough bikes and commuting and recreational, it was easier to get the lot and play dress ups to figure it out.

The feed bags I haven't tried anything good/proper yet, I've got some small pod sacks spider comp and chalk bags I've tried as cheap feed bags, but the spider comp worked better for the anything cages up to 4L volume, but it's way more than I need. Mostly just convenient access for little bits and place to hang my helmet on beach.

The chalk bags may work if open top is desired, but I haven't ridden long enough consecutively to need more than phone/camera access and bananas or muesli bars at stoppages, usually from something like the top tube bags. I'll probably work towards a 2017 Spring Munda Biddi north to south this time of year, but it's still a bit like a bunch of 2 day rides strung together with supplies and water access not requiring a super touring load.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:33 pm

Return to “Touring Bikes and Equipment”