Hunting an ECR with Rohloff!?

Postby pedal.roll » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:53 am

Hello all,

So as the title says I am on the hunt for what is to me the ultimate rig.

I have been travelling Aus for just over a year now in my van with my girlfriend. I am originally from Geraldton in WA and currently in the Gold Coast.
The idea of riding home from here early next year has really grown on me!

Where would be the best place to go in either Brisbane or the Gold Coast and enquire about such a set up if I were to buy brand new?

Does anybody know of any second hand ECRs that are Rohloffed or of either for sale seperatly?

I feel pretty confident with my gear choices but its just down to finding a bike now.

Incase anyone was wondering I currently ride a Karate Monkey and am into off road touring more than road. I like to get away.

Any help will be greatly appreciated and looked into.

Cheers,
Ernest.
pedal.roll

by BNA » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:17 pm

BNA

Re: Hunting an ECR with Rohloff!?

Postby il padrone » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:17 pm

Hi there

Tell us what an ECR is and we might have a better chance of helping you out.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:28 pm

Surly ECR
I'm having a looksie now
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:38 pm

As to new you might be better off asking in the Queensland sub forum.
I suspect slim pickings on a used Surly ECR or rohloff
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

Postby Warin » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:19 pm

Baalzamon wrote:I suspect slim pickings on a used Surly ECR or rohloff

Yep. I'd thunk a secondhand Rohloff on any bike hard to find when you want it. You do realize the new pro=ice of a Rohloff is 'quite high'? Good Luck ... it won't be cheap even secondhand.
Warin

Postby Cheesewheel » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:47 pm

Ecr 's are kinda new off the production line so your chances of finding one second hand are close to zilch ... what to speak of a rohloff equipped one ... and even then, in brisbane or the gold coast ......

if I was in your shoes, I would try epic cycles in brisbane. They stock the surly brand (assuming they didn't ditch them when dirtworks was ditched as the Australian disrtributor) and they seem to know their stuff about specialty components (like rohloff hubs). Another good option is river city cycles in brisbane . The mechanic there has personally got several fat bikes and has the sort of professionalism and helpfulness you would want for rohloff hubs/touring set up et al.
Either way, I imagine its unlikely they have one on the floor and they would have to ship one in.

I managed to pick up one of the last krampus' s from dirtworks discount bin with idea of one day sticking a rohloff on it ... the 29 x 3 is certainly a great tyre to ride on ... but when you start looking at putting all these things together, the price tag will probably set you to just under 5k ...... even if you got simply an ecr frame, rabbit hole rims (from someplace like universal cycles with their coupon code) and built it up from scratch from a few bits and pieces you might already have, it probably wouldn't be cheaper.

If it was me, I would take an ecr straight as it is (probably at around the $3k mark) and ride it home to the other side of the country. :) The 2x9 gears (unlike the 1x10 on the krampus :( ) would be adequate for the trip and if I really wanted to spend $1500 'ish on a rohloff I could throw the 2x9 drive train components in my spare parts bin.
GO!! Run!!! GAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Cheesewheel

Postby pedal.roll » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:05 pm

Few good pointers there. Cheers guys.

I'll be up Brisbane way in a few weeks to visit a friend so I will go around for a look at the mentioned shops then.

The idea of a derailer on this bike makes me cringe!
I don't like the sound of beach sand in chains on my single speed so I can't imagine what it would sound like with all the extra cogs to run through.
I see the point in keeping it relatively stock until later though.

To me am ECR deserves a Rohloff.

I have been reading around and see some alternatives to rabbit holes. Namely Velocity Duallys.
Being able to switch between 3' and down to 2.2' tyres would be awesome.
Any thought on this?

Please point me in the direction of other threads that might be useful to me.
I'm new here and still looking through it all!

Cheers.
Pedal fast. Live slow.
pedal.roll

Postby Cheesewheel » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:45 pm

pedal.roll wrote:Few good pointers there. Cheers guys.

I'll be up Brisbane way in a few weeks to visit a friend so I will go around for a look at the mentioned shops then.

The idea of a derailer on this bike makes me cringe!
I don't like the sound of beach sand in chains on my single speed so I can't imagine what it would sound like with all the extra cogs to run through.
I see the point in keeping it relatively stock until later though.

To me am ECR deserves a Rohloff.

I have been reading around and see some alternatives to rabbit holes. Namely Velocity Duallys.
Being able to switch between 3' and down to 2.2' tyres would be awesome.
Any thought on this?

Please point me in the direction of other threads that might be useful to me.
I'm new here and still looking through it all!

Cheers.

I could be wrong but I was under the impression you can snap 2 ish inch tyres on the rims. I vaguely recall reading a review somewhere where they were talking about how the slightly lower profile caused a few chain ring pedal strikes in rough terrain.
GO!! Run!!! GAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Cheesewheel

Postby Mugglechops » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:35 pm

This bloke is riding exactly what you want.
Mugglechops

Postby pedal.roll » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:32 pm

I've been following that guy for a little bit now.

He's the reason why I want nothing but an ECR.
That bike is awesome! Everything on that site is an inspiration.
Pedal fast. Live slow.
pedal.roll

Postby Mugglechops » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:43 pm

He is living the life for sure
Mugglechops

Postby il padrone » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:27 pm

29er in Africa may be a somewhat foolhardy choice. Most of Africa and Asia, in the developing nations rolls on 26" still.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby RonK » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:24 am

Rohloff-equipped bikes of any kind rarely come on the market. You chances of finding a secondhand ECR with Rohloff are close to nil. Most likely you'll have to build your own bike.

In any case, if this is the type of bike you want then there are better choices. Surly tries to be all things to everybody but the horizontal dropouts are far from ideal for a Rohloff hub.

A better choice would be a Jones Steel Diamond Frame with Unicrown Fork. This frame comes with interchangeable derailleur and singlespeed dropouts and a Bushnell EBB for chain adjustment. It is priced a little dearer but is not uncompetitive.

Here's a titanium Jones with Rohloff - using the Rohloff CC OEM2 axle plate so no speedbone or torque arm required. Very tidy, and no hassle removing the wheel when you get a flat.

BTW, I was in Epic Cycles quite recently, and there were no Surly bikes on display as I recall. But it was hard not to notice the two Salsa Mukluks standing by the door. Salsa make alternator adjustable dropouts for Rohloff - who have announced they'll be offering a 170mm Speedhub soon.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby Wingnut » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:49 pm

Note: Salsa & Surly are owned by the same company...
"It never gets easier, you just go faster..." - Greg Lemond

"Because technology alone is a poor substitute for experience." - Richard Sachs
Wingnut

Postby pedal.roll » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:55 am

BUT......Can I run 29+ in that Jones?
Pedal fast. Live slow.
pedal.roll

Postby RonK » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:48 pm

pedal.roll wrote:BUT......Can I run 29+ in that Jones?

It's in the spec - 29+ (3") on the front, 2.5" on the back.
RonK

Postby baabaa » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:53 pm

29er in Africa may be a somewhat foolhardy choice. Most of Africa and Asia, in the developing nations rolls on 26" still.

Hmmm I guess most people who tour in remote regions would expect to bring along a few spokes, about 3 tubes and a folding spare tyre and not rely on what they think they could find to keep them out of most trouble. The black mambas (Chinese flying pigeons and Indian heros) can be found across Africa (and funny enough in India and China) most of the large frame sizes are 28 x 1 1/2" rim. I reckon if you taco-ed a wheel so bad to make it unrideable you could pick up a front or rear wheel for a few kwacha, rupee or RMB in most towns and villages and run it to the next big town brakeless on a 29er or 29+ pretty well. You can also run 26 inch tubes with 29ers tyres.

Salsa also make a fork which runs a 135 mm or a rear ss hub and can turn your normal 29er into a part fat / 29plus bike if you need more float
http://salsacycles.com/components/categ ... abler_fork
I am with RonK that a ebb makes for easy chain tensioning and cleaner rear end with disc brakes but didn’t surly make up “monkeys nuts” to make taking the rear wheel in and out a little bit more simple? I guess they would fit a ECR
baabaa

Postby il padrone » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:57 pm

baabaa wrote:The black mambas (Chinese flying pigeons and Indian heros) can be found across Africa (and funny enough in India and China) most of the large frame sizes are 28 x 1 1/2" rim. I reckon if you taco-ed a wheel so bad to make it unrideable you could pick up a front or rear wheel for a few kwacha, rupee or RMB in most towns and villages and run it to the next big town brakeless on a 29er or 29+ pretty well.

You'd be stonka'ed just a little.

700C (29") = 622mm rims
28" x 1 1/2" = 635mm rims

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

The 26' wheels and tyres in practical use are a fairly universal size. I'd be happier in developing countries relying on these for that 'last gasp' tyre or rim failure.
il padrone

Postby RonK » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:26 pm

baabaa wrote:Hmmm I guess most people who tour in remote regions would expect to bring along a few spokes, about 3 tubes and a folding spare tyre and not rely on what they think they could find to keep them out of most trouble.

Quite so. Wheel size is a consideration but not a deal breaker. In such circumstances I'd set out with a new set of tyres and carry a folding tyre as a spare regardless of wheel size. If a 29er is what you really want, then that is what you should get.
RonK

Postby il padrone » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:53 pm

The guy posting in the above-mentioned blog has done 1000kms in South Africa. Very much early days. He raves about the wear of his tyres (Knards) - they are practically new, after 1000kms my Vittoria Randonneur Cross tyres had not even worn off the molding tags, heck after 4000kms they were still there.

I'd suggest that South Africa is not really remote cycling (on a global scale), that of course he'll be OK for 29" tyres there, but that the rest of Africa will be very different for him. I'd be looking for an express courier service in event of any tyre/rim problems.
Last edited by il padrone on Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
il padrone

Postby Wingnut » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:08 pm

I think in an earlier post it's mentioned that 29" tyres can be found for sale quite easily...they're available in Mongolia, all over South America now...remote isn't quite as it was...

Unfortunately it looks like 29" is starting to take over...

Wingnut

Postby il padrone » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:19 pm

There's a bit more to tyres and rims than just whether a tyre is 'available'. These comments may be a few years old now, but I would be reluctant to ignore them if I was planning to head off into the back of beyond on a serious multi-month tour.

BTW, South America has always tended to have better availability of 27"/700C tyres and rims - a legacy of the history of US links I think. Africa and Asia are very different places. 29" may be available in Ulaan Batur but probably nowhere else in Mongolia.

From Down The Road

Why I prefer 26 inch wheels for my world tour
Tire Availability: The problem traveling internationally with 700c wheels is finding good replacement tires. In my early days of bicycle travel I had a cyclecross bike with 700c wheels. I took a solo two year tour around the USA and Mexico and realized that finding wide 700c bike touring tires was difficult (without mail order) in the USA and nearly impossible in Mexico. Since then, I've met countless other touring cyclist around the world, especially in developing countries, who were desperately looking for wide 700c touring tires. The only 700c tires available in the bike shops were what the local road racers used (if any) which is about as wide as a finger. (700c x 20 -25) Even after long time-consuming searches they were forced to buy these narrow 700c racing tires that wear out fast, easily puncture, and are less stable with loaded panniers.

Rim Availability: A similar scenario occurs when a rim is rendered useless, perhaps by a crash or just wearing out, and starts breaking spokes. Even a brand new rim can be damaged by clumsy handling at the airport or a big crash. Sturdy rims made for mountain biking are abundant throughout the world but 700c rims are only common for ultra light road racing bicycles. A rim meant for a road bike will not last long under the weight of a loaded bicycle but the average mountain bike rim is fine for touring.

Inner Tube Availability: The same problem of finding tubes in developing countries is true. If bike shops don't carry the tires and rims, there is no reason to sell wide 700c tubes.

What I think makes the best touring bicycle wheel size
The decision between 700c and 26 inch is a tough one. There is a much bigger selection of 700c touring bicycles compared to the hard-to-find 26 inch models. I believe that it comes down to the availability of tires, rims, and tubes in the place where you will be touring If you are mostly riding on the paved road, sticking to the first world, or traveling for less than 6 months at a time you could pick either type of bike. If you're heading out into the less developed parts of the world, I recommend riding a touring bicycle with 26 inch wheels

il padrone

Postby baabaa » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:57 am

700C (29") = 622mm rims

Yes while 29ers do use a 700c rim size it is the outside tyre diameter that I thought would be a good 29er to 28 1½ swap
A bit of a check and bingo a 47 mm (or say 1.9 inch) is pretty close match...
http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/ ... tyre-sizes

ISO / Imperial / Metric / American / Tyre Diameter Circumference
40–635 28×1½ 700B 715 28.1 2.25
32–622 28×15/8×1¼ 700×32C/ 700×35C 686 27.0 2.16
37–622 28×15/8×13/8 700×35C 696 27.4 2.19
47–622 700×47C 716 28.2 2.25
baabaa

Postby Wingnut » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:12 am

il padrone wrote:There's a bit more to tyres and rims than just whether a tyre is 'available'. These comments may be a few years old now

I would say those comments are out of date now... ;)

Wingnut

Postby il padrone » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:04 pm

baabaa wrote:700C (29") = 622mm rims

Yes while 29ers do use a 700c rim size it is the outside tyre diameter that I thought would be a good 29er to 28 1½ swap
A bit of a check and bingo a 47 mm (or say 1.9 inch) is pretty close match...
http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/ ... tyre-sizes

ISO / Imperial / Metric / American / Tyre Diameter Circumference
40–635 28×1½ 700B 715 28.1 2.25
32–622 28×15/8×1¼ 700×32C/ 700×35C 686 27.0 2.16
37–622 28×15/8×13/8 700×35C 696 27.4 2.19
47–622 700×47C 716 28.2 2.25

But did you miss my point? 622mm rim ---> 635mm bead tyre. Thus it will not even seat on the rim :idea:

(I'm assuming we are talking about sourcing replacement tyres in Asia here)
il padrone

Next

Return to Touring Bikes and Equipment