Hunting an ECR with Rohloff!?

Re: Hunting an ECR with Rohloff!?

Postby baabaa » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:32 pm

I reckon if you taco-ed a wheel so bad to make it unrideable you could pick up a front or rear wheel for a few kwacha, rupee or RMB in most towns and villages and run it to the next big town brakeless on a 29er or 29+ pretty well.
I have been talking about wheel swaps.
I never mentioned tyres.
baabaa

by BNA » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:10 pm

BNA

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:10 pm

il padrone wrote:The guy posting in the above-mentioned blog has done 1000kms in South Africa. Very much early days. He raves about the wear of his tyres (Knards) - they are practically new, after 1000kms my Vittoria Randonneur Cross tyres had not even worn off the molding tags, heck after 4000kms they were still there.

I'd suggest that South Africa is not really remote cycling (on a global scale), that of course he'll be OK for 29" tyres there, but that the rest of Africa will be very different for him. I'd be looking for an express courier service in event of any tyre/rim problems.

If you read his later posts he does a 7500km report and reckons he can still get another 1000kms out of them.

And if doing it again he wouldn't even take a spare tyre.
Mugglechops

Postby il padrone » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:20 pm

Mugglechops wrote:If you read his later posts he does a 7500km report and reckons he can still get another 1000kms out of them.

And if doing it again he wouldn't even take a spare tyre.

I have been using the Vittoria Randonneur tyres for the past 10 years or so and have routinely ridden for over 14,000kms on the one set of tyres, with no punctures at all for the Cross model. With these tyres (26x1.75") 7500kms is early days.

Even so, despite their very long wear-life and puncture resistance, if I was planning a mutli-month tour of Africa, I would still regard it as rash to do so with no spare tyre. It only takes a slash with some jagged steel or an unexpected bead-failure and you may be stuck with no rideable bike. Even with 26", the most common tyre in Africa; with a 29" it would be sheer insanity not to haul a spare as very few towns will stock a tyre that you could make use of.

Wingnut wrote:
il padrone wrote:There's a bit more to tyres and rims than just whether a tyre is 'available'. These comments may be a few years old now

I would say those comments are out of date now... ;)

I'd be waiting to hear a few more reports and travelogues from world-touring cyclists to confirm this before I'd be relying on this statement for overseas expedition tour planning.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:29 pm

With my habit of breaking wheels before tyres wear out on 29ers, I would be taking a 26er too. With 36 spoke wheels.
Mugglechops

Postby Wingnut » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:19 pm

il padrone wrote:Africa and Asia are very different places. 29" may be available in Ulaan Batur but probably nowhere else in Mongolia.

Ulgii, Mongolia 2008...I've seen many others but can't be bothered looking for the rest...

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page ... 91142&v=kU

"It never gets easier, you just go faster..." - Greg Lemond

"Because technology alone is a poor substitute for experience." - Richard Sachs
Wingnut

Previous

Return to Touring Bikes and Equipment