Drop bars to Butterflies. And a few questions to boot!

bushwalker zane

Postby bushwalker zane » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:05 pm

Hello all!

I have been thinking about changing my drop bars to butterfly bars on my Surly LHT. I will need to change my brake levers and gear shifters in order to do this though. So, I was wondering if anyone knows of a good 3x9 speed, brake and gear shifter combo. The bike has cantilever brakes. I am open to other suggestions too!

Thanks for the help :D

Zane.

Leaf T

Re: Drop bars to Butterflies. And a few questions to boot!

Postby Leaf T » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:10 pm

Shimano deore or XT depending on budget. And mid range Avid is equally as good in my experience.

FXST01

Postby FXST01 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:29 pm

I have the 3x8 version on my bike.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:43 pm

They're nice looking levers but for a touring bike it might be better to have seperate shifters and brake levers in case one or the other fails. You don't need to replace both then.

bushwalker zane

Postby bushwalker zane » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:57 pm

FXST01 wrote:Image

That's the kind of thing I'm after, but in a 3x9 speed.. ?

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:28 pm

Be aware that (most ) mtb and road brakes are slightly different.
(I found this out the hard way when I did the opposite of what you want to do ... namely changing from butterfly tr drops)

Mtb brakes pull more cable than road brakes. Iow if you swap your drop brakes for mtb style trigger brakes there is a good chance your braking power will diminish since it becomes more difficult to do the full squeeze witb the hand brake. Not sure if you can fiddle around with canties to make this less of an issue since I was working with v brakes for my conversion.

On another bike (standard mtb trigger set up with vbrakes) I swapped the rear vbrake for a canti and the loss in power is certainly noticable .. but since I only use it for commuting and I still have a vbrake on the front its no real problem ... if the front one was like that though it would be an issue ..... especially if there was extra touring weight involved.

I ended up swapping the butterflies because I found them to be uncomfortable. It might have been the geometry of the bike at the time ( its gone through a few metamorphosises .. I ended up getting a disc trucker fork with extended head tube ... so it now has a thoroughly upright position) but I found that all the numerous grip positions afforded by butterflies were practically identical in terms of wrist angle and pressure points on the hand ... iow changing grip positions never really gave any relief from the inevitable RSI pain in the wrist and hands.
also the end of the butterfly bars are quite flexy ... especially if you weight from front panniers shimmying up the fork. This problem becomes compounded if you mount the brakes and gears atthe end of the butterflies ( which is how they are usually set up). The tendecy is when encountering hazardous situations (such as flying down a bumpy hill or weaving around busy car infested streets) to take the hand position that has best access to brakes and gears. If you have these mounted at the flexy ends of butterfly bars, thats where your hands will be .... which is certainly awkward when the terrain demands a stiff handling position ( like somewhere near the stem).

Admittedly I have never used bar end shifters on standard bike (my lht has integrated gear/brake like your standard road bike) and they seem like the sort of thing I would never really get used to.

I put off doing all this major surgery on the front fork for a bit but eventually bit the bullet and did it since the worst sort of touring bike is one that is uncomfortable and awkward to handle.
Go!Run!GAH!

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:34 pm

Ps ... why do you want a single unit for mtb style brakes and gears? The standard set up of having two seperate units for both gears and brakes works well enough on ghe ample real estate afforded by butterflies
Go!Run!GAH!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:35 pm

MTB front derailleurs also have different indexing to road FDs. And f you think swapping to a MTB FD will be the answer, note that they have a different cage profile to the road FD so may not work so well with your crankset.

By the time you've replaced the handlebars, brake levers, brakes, shifters, front derailleur, and crankset you're probably a good 50% to the price of a whole new bike :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:06 pm

Thought about Nitto Mo bars? Would be a cheap swap,use the LHT bar end shifters and brake levers but you will need a much shorter stem. Pic on my ss cx but have used them with bar cons running 2 x 10 speed. They suit some people others not so much, kinda like butterfly bars...

FXST01

Postby FXST01 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:21 pm

bushwalker zane wrote:
FXST01 wrote:Image

That's the kind of thing I'm after, but in a 3x9 speed.. ?

They come in 3x7, 3x8 and 3x9 that's the only sizes I have seen. Go on ebay and type 3x9 in the cycling section, you should find something that will take your fancy and then you will have the name and model numbers.

ozipom

Postby ozipom » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:20 pm

With my LHT I went from drops to butterflies. I still use the bar end shifters via http://www.paulcomp.com/rdthumbie.html and use separate brake levers (avids).
- Brian

Surly Ogre
Avanti Vivace 2009
Long Haul Trucker
Bike Friday - Pocket Llama
Link to my Tours around Australia

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:19 pm

+1 the Paul thumb shifters.

ps Nice blog site Ozipom.

Warin

Postby Warin » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:37 am

ozipom wrote: use separate brake levers (avids).

I think it is the avid speed pros? that have adjustable cable travel/leverage. You can adjust the point where the cable effectively fixes to the hand lever. I've a set and they are nice to use. Only issue I have is the cable end barrel attachment is not the correct diameter.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:25 am

bushwalker zane wrote:I am open to other suggestions too!

I don't much like the common trekking bar - they are very wide and flex quite a lot.

I think the Humbert Horn bar, as supplied on the Vivente World Randonneur, is a better shape. Perhaps a little more difficult to source, but you may be able to get one from Vivente.

And the change of handlebars presents the perfect opportunity to upgrade to superior brakes as well - ditch the cantis and get a set of Avid Single Digit V brakes and Avid Speed Dial levers. Or if you have mudguards on the LHT get long arm V brakes like the Tektro 857 AL. Shop around and you'll find them cheap as chips and far more powerful than the cantis.

Mount the bar-end shifters on Paul Thumbies as others suggested. I did this on the LHT I once owned, and it worked very nicely.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

slaw

Postby slaw » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:17 am

Doesn't look too hard to source these when searching for Humpert.

Not sure if they have much advantage over a flat bar plus bar ends. A bit lighter I suppose.