Type of fork and other parts for my Diamondback Topanga SE

pelleramstedt

Type of fork and other parts for my Diamondback Topanga SE

Postby pelleramstedt » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:50 pm

Hi!
I'm right now rebuilding an old Diamondback Topanga SE to use for touring in a couple of months! I will need a new fork/suspension, brakes, wires/cables, rack, Panniers and all other bits and pieces that's needed for touring. I'm a bit new to bikes and touring so I'm wondering if most types of forks will fit on my old bike? I'm changing the old cantilever brakes to a pair of Shimano Alivio T4000 V-Brakes. Any ideas or tips would be VERRY appriciated!
Thank you!
Peace and love!
/Pelle :)

rifraf

Re: Type of fork and other parts for my Diamondback Topanga

Postby rifraf » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:06 pm

G'day Pelle,
Welcome to the forum.
I'm not familiar with your model of bike but I'm hopeful you might find riders with a more specific knowledge in the "Buying a Bike/Parts" threads.

viewforum.php?f=9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure how attached to suspension forks you are but would suggest you at least consider some non suspension forks for lower maintenance and ease of attaching racks etc.

Yes there are racks you can buy for bikes with suspension forks.
You'll have to be the judge on whether or not they are a compromise too far.
I'm sure there will be many different opinions on this
I only bring it up as it appears your current ones are up for replacement anyway
Some here ride with full suspension so don't consider my suggestion a recommendation for your situation in any way.
I merely suggest being clear to yourself why you want one over the other (suspension/non suspension)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

silentbutdeadly

Re: Type of fork and other parts for my Diamondback Topanga

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:24 pm

If you need new forks then you'll need to measure the axle to crown (bottom edge of the head tube) length, determine the fork offset (distance of axle from the centreline of the headtube and/or fork legs), determine the headtube internal diameter and determine the fork steerer tube outside diameter. With those measures on paper then you need to find a rigid steel fork with those properties which won't be straightforward. Check out SJS Cycles in the UK...

You may be able to source the elastomers to rebuild the current fork...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle