Bob Ibex Trailer Mod.

Mongrel

Bob Ibex Trailer Mod.

Postby Mongrel » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:02 pm

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, but have been touring with my Bob Ibex trailer on and off for many years. So it was time to give my bob ibex a full restoration and a few mod's as it was looking a little worse for wear.
I had the Bob Ibex powder coated black as I never really liked the original brown colour. The main mod was fitting a 3" wide tire for a better offroad riding. I also fitted a pannier rack to the trailer, with small panniers.
https://plus.google.com/photos/10929585 ... 9270729904

To fit the bigger diameter tire I had to design a bracket that extended the bob ibex forks to fit the wheel to the trailer.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1092958546 ... 0063736962
https://picasaweb.google.com/1092958546 ... 7293441458

I've also added a solar panel and battery system for recharging phone/lights etc on long trips away.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1092958546 ... 7678517698
https://picasaweb.google.com/1092958546 ... 5927341970

I 3D printed custom GoPro mounts to suit the trailer as I have 5 GoPro's that I use on my Sea Kayaking Expeditions and now also on my bike journeys.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1092958546 ... 7841997826

On the bike I've also 3D printed some custom mounts.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1092958546 ... 3437183186
https://picasaweb.google.com/1092958546 ... 6272142786
https://picasaweb.google.com/1092958546 ... 3479045634

The wider tire has made it a much better ride on the rough stuff and with no noticeable difference on the road either.

Mongrel.

rifraf

Re: Bob Ibex Trailer Mod.

Postby rifraf » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:04 pm

G'day Mongrel,
Welcome to the forum :!:
Some interesting mods and you look like you've put a lot of thought into your setup.
Have you considered some BBB XL Fueltanks for your water bottles.
They handle bottles of 1.5 litre persuasion.

http://bbbcycling.com/accessories/bottle-cages/BBC-15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I mention them as another forum member had them on his Bob trailer and your pics reminded me. :)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:41 pm

rifraf wrote:G'day Mongrel,
Welcome to the forum :!:
Some interesting mods and you look like you've put a lot of thought into your setup.
Have you considered some BBB XL Fueltanks for your water bottles.
They handle bottles of 1.5 litre persuasion.

http://bbbcycling.com/accessories/bottle-cages/BBC-15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I mention them as another forum member had them on his Bob trailer and your pics reminded me. :)
Hi rifraf,

Thanks for the welcome. I have looked at larger bottle holders, but if I need to carry a lot more water I use a 10 or 20lt low profile water bladder under the main dry bag of the trailer. This keeps the water cool and also as low as possible in the trailer.

I've spent many years on solo sea kayaking expeditions (http://www.seamongrels.com/) which has been great help in my gear setup for my bike journeys. it's just that on the bike everything is smaller and lighter!

Mongrel.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:23 am

Hi,

As it's been raining on and off on the Gold Coast lately, I headed out onto some dirt trails and came back with mud all over the front of my Bob Ibex trailer.
So I decided to fix the problem and designed and 3D printed a mud guard for the front fork of the trailer. I even name it!!

The Bob Mudder!

It only weigh's in at 85 grams, so I should be right with the extra weight! I'll head out tomorrow and go play in the mud and see how it goes.

Mongrel

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:00 pm

Looks neat.

Andrew

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:01 pm

Jealous of 3d printer...
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

petie

Postby petie » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:36 pm

Do you always tour on your 96? Love the trailer mods, how do you think the 3d printed parts will hold up over time off road touring?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:03 pm

petie wrote:Do you always tour on your 96? Love the trailer mods, how do you think the 3d printed parts will hold up over time off road touring?
Hi Petie,
For the past six months, yes I only use my 96, and love it. I use to use a Merida Matts hardtail for many years which was setup more for the road. I wanted to do more off road with the trailer so I got the 96 to do the job. I've put 2.5" wide tyres on the 96 and it handles great. Interestingly, the wide tyres have made no difference to my speed and performance on the sealed roads either.

Most of the 3D parts on the bike and trailer have been on there for a few months now and none have failed. With the custom GoPro mounts on the trailer, I printed them in nylon, this is the toughest "plastic" I can print with. The other parts are printed in ABS plastic.

In the pic below, is one of the custom GoPro mounts which I designed with internal zip ties holding it onto the trailer frame.

The great thing is that if a part does break, i only need to print a new one. Once it cools off a bit, I plan to ride Queensland sections of the bicentennial National Trail with my setup.

Mongrel.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:18 am

Guard looks good, well done!

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:57 am

Mongrel you have some really nice mods there that mudguard is awesome.

Ricky

Cycling Guy

Postby Cycling Guy » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:31 pm

Hi Mongrel,
I really like your setup........something I have been thinking about.
I'm planning a 4000km charity ride, Melb to Brisbane (inland) and then Brisbane to Melb (via the coast) It will a solo ride, unassisted.
I'm thinking about using my Giant Anthem MTB as I will be taking as many back roads (dirt) as I can find.
My MTB is a soft tail, so doesn't have any pannier mounting points, so that is why I'm thinking about the trailer, instead of a dedicated touring bike.
Any advice going forward would be great,
Cheers,
Jay
April 2016 - Cycling 4000km to raise money and awareness for The Peter Mac Cancer Research Centre

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:31 pm

Cycling Guy wrote:Hi Mongrel,
I really like your setup........something I have been thinking about.
I'm planning a 4000km charity ride, Melb to Brisbane (inland) and then Brisbane to Melb (via the coast) It will a solo ride, unassisted.
I'm thinking about using my Giant Anthem MTB as I will be taking as many back roads (dirt) as I can find.
My MTB is a soft tail, so doesn't have any pannier mounting points, so that is why I'm thinking about the trailer, instead of a dedicated touring bike.
Any advice going forward would be great,
Cheers,
Jay
Hi Cycling Guy,

I changed over from a hard tail to a soft tail six months ago and I haven't looked back. I find it a better ride all round, but even more so off road with the trailer. I use to ride with panniers on my hard tail, but prefer to ride with the trailer. The only item I have on the bike is my tent in a Revelate Harness on the handle bars. This makes the bike handle the soft and loose stuff much better with some weight over the front wheel.

The Revelate Harness on the handle bars.

Mongrel.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:52 am

This is the final mod for my Bob Ibex, a better shock for the trailer. The original shock that comes with the trailer always felt like a it was there to make the trailer bounce up and down over the rough stuff, but with no real dampening.

It's taken quite a while to find an air shock that fits the Bob Ibex trailer as the size is only 135mm between centres of the shock, but I finally did. And what a difference it has made to the ride over rough terrain. To give the back of the trailer a little more ground clearance, I fitted a 140mm shock to the trailer.

Mongrel.

avolve

Postby avolve » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:29 pm

Do you have a link for the shock? Have long considered replacing mine.

(Is that the greenspeed rack on there too?)

singletrackflow

Postby singletrackflow » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:52 am

Quick thread revival:

Mongrel would you share your 3D .stl file for the mud guard you produced? It looks great!

Thanks in advance,
Igor

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:51 am

Mongrel hasn't been active on the site for a few years now, but quoting him may bring it to his attention. If that doesn't work you can try sending him a PM.
Mongrel wrote:As it's been raining on and off on the Gold Coast lately, I headed out onto some dirt trails and came back with mud all over the front of my Bob Ibex trailer.
So I decided to fix the problem and designed and 3D printed a mud guard for the front fork of the trailer. I even name it!!

The Bob Mudder!
Anything you can do, I can do slower

singletrackflow

Postby singletrackflow » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:45 am

find_bruce wrote:Mongrel hasn't been active on the site for a few years now, but quoting him may bring it to his attention. If that doesn't work you can try sending him a PM.
Mongrel wrote:As it's been raining on and off on the Gold Coast lately, I headed out onto some dirt trails and came back with mud all over the front of my Bob Ibex trailer.

The Bob Mudder!
Thanks Find_Bruce - I will send him a PM.

Cheers!

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:12 am

singletrackflow wrote:Quick thread revival:

Mongrel would you share your 3D .stl file for the mud guard you produced? It looks great!

Thanks in advance,
Igor
Hi,

The mud guard will fit a 26" yoke but if you have a 28" yoke I'm not sure if it fits.
The mud guard is still working after all these years which comes to the problem is that I don't know if I still have the file. Had a quick look but didn't find it. Its properly backed up on a drive somewhere.

Still use the setup but using my fat bike setup more these days.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:50 am

Nice to see you back on the forum Mongrel

Happy Spinning
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.